V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 evo and I installed a Andrews EV27 Cam. When I went to button it up and put the motor to TDC I noticed my timing cup is 180 degrees off.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

The red line is where the slot of the timing cup is and the yellow is where it should be pointing when at TDC.
I lined up my cam to my pinion and breather gear as you're suppose to do.
Gear Bicycle part Auto part Rim Tool

What could be the problem?

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
The cup, when installed properly, has absolutely nothing to do with being at TDC... harley engines have odd firing points,,, 315° and 405°.. i keep telling every prospective harley mechanic,,,, forget all you know, about any other engine,,, harley engines are different.. lol

When the 3 timing marks, are aligned, pinion, cam and breather,, after the cam and breather gear end play are set correctly, put the nosecone on, install the cup,,, this part is done...

I have gotten into a habit of answering only the question posed, by the OP, rather than elaborating on, and going through the entire procedures... especially when new, or newer members are concerned...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you are good to go. Your gear timing marks are in the proper position. Make sure you have the timing cup locked into that slot in the cam and that it doesn't move when you tighten down the small bolt.
Yup I torqued it to 40 something in-lb with a little hit of blue Loctite. I found out what I did wrong. 😅 Been awhile since I have been in these newer motors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cup, when installed properly, has absolutely nothing to do with being at TDC... harley engines have odd firing points,,, 315° and 405°.. i keep telling every prospective harley mechanic,,,, forget all you know, about any other engine,,, harley engines are different.. lol

When the 3 timing marks, are aligned, pinion, cam and breather,, after the cam and breather gear end play are set correctly, put the nosecone on, install the cup,,, this part is done...

I have gotten into a habit of answering only the question posed, by the OP, rather than elaborating on, and going through the entire procedures... especially when new, or newer members are concerned...
No worries. I was static timing the electronic ignition. the timing cup was off because I had it on TDC but on the overlap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts