V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my buckhorns to something similar to the FXWG handlebars but for narrow front forks. Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks
Gary

·
Banned
871 Posts
FXSGARY said:
I want to change my buckhorns to something similar to the FXWG handlebars but for narrow front forks. Can anyone recommend something?Thanks
Gary
The type of forks you have doesn't matter. My personal preference are the flat track-style bars with stock risers. You can pick them up for under 100 bucks online. Very good for better control and very comfortable on long rides (several days long). No modifications needed to your cables or wiring either since they are about the same width and slightly shorter in height. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ToddM. Are the handlebars your talking about in your avatar pic?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Banned
871 Posts
FXSGARY said:
Thanks ToddM. Are the handlebars your talking about in your avatar pic?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks
Those are drag bars that I put on that XLCH. I know I was using 4 inch pullbacks with them. They may have been the drag bars with a slight one inch rise. I remember using them on a couple bikes. They were similiar to flattrack bars, only narrower. That was many years ago.

The flattrack bars come back further to a more comfortable position. They also position your hands so that your wrists are in a more natural position, which helps make them very comfortable on those all-day rides. When using straight drag bars I always end up with numb hands after a while. The buckhorns just don't feel like I have as much control, almost like the feeling of the older power steering systems on cars compared to a nice, tight rack and pinion. I always try to set up my bike for the most comfort I can get, since I ride tens of thousands of miles a year. Still wanting to get one of those gel seats.... maybe someday. :D

·
Banned
871 Posts
Hoggin said:
I put 12" narrow Glide Apes on my FXRS. I put 4" risers on it too. i don't like the look of bars that wider than your front end.
Yeah, I kinda like the narrow look, too. Problem is... the bike handles like crap with narrow bars. With the twisty roads up here, I need the best handling possible to really enjoy riding. Even in town the narrow bars suck. You really have to muscle it around at slow speed. Guess it all depends on what your priorities are.... looks, or handling and performance. :)

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
FXSGARY said:
I want to change my buckhorns to something similar to the FXWG handlebars but for narrow front forks. Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks
Gary
Hey man, i've got some nice 12 apes...brand new...that i'll sell you for cheap. I bought them to go on the shovel but decided to go with drags instead. I've got apes on the Heritage and wanted a different look for the shovel. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.