V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a primary backing plate bolt strip out on my bike. In an effort to get the best possible solution to the problem I opted for the time-serts over the more common heli-coil fix.

Anybody ever use them before? I just picked up the kit and haven't had a chance to use it yet. It seems to be a better than new permanent fix.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I just used one to repair a spark plug thread on a dirtbike, worked great. The only downside I see to them is the cost ... vs helicoils, they're much more $$$.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
they maybe more money then a heli coil but are way better to use if they are installed properly.They will stand up far better then heli coils would

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just repaired a stripped out primary drain hole on my bike this past weekend with a kit. Will post a link to the thread at the bottom of this message. If you stripped the bolt that Im thinking of, it will be alot smaller than what I had. My little kit came with a 33/64" drill bit but was made for a drill press due to the shank not fitting the drill chuck. Had to opt for a pneumatic drill which had me a little on edge due to not being able to control the speed of the drill but I was able to manage just fine for being upside down. Not meaning to insult any intelligence but one thing I would add is use red loctite. I used 266 for my job just cause it resists oil and mild contaminates.
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/transmission-primary/368601-no-bueno.html

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Timeserts worked very well to repair stripped threads in my inner primary after the previous owner had obviously mixed up the long and short bolts that hold the primary cover. I went ahead and installed timeserts in all the holes, including the derby cover threads in the outer primary. Big plus was I am now able to use the same length of bolt in all the primary cover holes.
Choices:
1. Timesert
2. Keensert
3. Helicoil
4. Weld, drill and tap.

·
Super Moderator
19,400 Posts
They all work if installed correctly.

And for one hole, cost is really not an issue.

There are a few down issues you can run into. Pin locks can cause some castings to crack. And should be avoided when repairing EVO spark plug holes.

Welding can cause some issues with cracking too. So do find a real certified welder.

And when it comes to high numbers of inserts, the generic helicoils work as well as any of the others, when installed correctly. And they do it for a lot less cost.

·
Gearhead
1,110 Posts
Heli-coils work well for me in most applications. There fast and hold well up to a certain point. There always the first repair I use. If that fails then I will use time-serts if the hole is too damaged. But

once you use a time-sert you cant go back. Drilling for a time-sert leaves a good size hole where the threads once were. The only other option if the time-sert gets damaged on install is weld and

retap.That's why I use heli-coil first. You cant go back from a time-sert but you can move up from a heli-coil to one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts