V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a beautiful ride here in NY. Just as I'm turnming on to my street the bars on my 02 RK moved dn. Not a pleasent feeling! How do I get that chrome trim piece off to tighten them Dn? I got the two screws off around the fork lock but now what?
Greg

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
guzzigreg said:
Just got back from a beautiful ride here in NY. Just as I'm turnming on to my street the bars on my 02 RK moved dn. Not a pleasent feeling! How do I get that chrome trim piece off to tighten them Dn? I got the two screws off around the fork lock but now what?
Greg
Stop!
Take the headlight trim ring off, remove the screws from the rubber grommets around the headlight housing that attach it to your nacelle.
The headlight will drop out, cover your 'mudguard', we call em, with a rag and let the headlight rest on it.
NOW, the strip that goes along the top of the nacelle, the bit that covers the join between the two halves, remove the SMALL speed nut at the FRONT! inside the nacelle. lift that up and off.
Get a star screwdriver and LOOSEN the screw that holds the handlebar clampcover, DO NOT REMOVE! you should be able to twist the handlebar clamp cover up and around the handlebar clamp bracket.

Tighten the clamp, position the bars first and watch for the throttle cables, they'll hit your console on the tank if you move the bar too low.

Anybody any better ideas? :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Your directions were right on the money. All was going well till.... I tightened the strip that covers the halves of the nacelle. The front screw, the damn thing broke off. So now I have to go and fight with Harley. It looks like just a bit of crap pot metal. Oh Well. Thanks again. By the way the two bottom bolts, the ones hardest to get to were very loose. The bike has only 700 miles.
Greg

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
guzzigreg said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Your directions were right on the money. All was going well till.... I tightened the strip that covers the halves of the nacelle. The front screw, the damn thing broke off. So now I have to go and fight with Harley. It looks like just a bit of crap pot metal. Oh Well. Thanks again. By the way the two bottom bolts, the ones hardest to get to were very loose. The bike has only 700 miles.
Greg
Notchin this up to the top. been away

WHAT two bottom bolts?

'It looks like just a bit of crap pot metal.'
It IS/was!, I don't think they'll replace it under warrenty.
Not a design fault, its not meant to take much torque.

Sorry that it broke, but it is a small 'tin pot' fixing.
(Did you tighten it too much?)

At least its a warning to others who do a search for this later eeh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two botom allens that hold the bars on. There is on on the top and one on the botom on both sides. Harley replaced the piece with minimum resistance. Seems they are having quite a few of these come back in the same shape as mine according to the parts Mgr at my dealer. So if anyone is reading this go easy on that speednut!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts