V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 37 years of driving/owning vehicles and hvy. equipment, I can only think of 3 times i have let anyone change my oil/filter...one of which was the 1000 mile first service on this '06 Ultra. I changed the oil/filter at 500 miles...no problem. I was expecting the dain plug to be overtightened - wasn't, but the oil filter was.
The cam-lock type filter wrench i usually use slipped and I was afraid of damaging the sensor.
The band type slipped also...The trick is to tear a piece of sandpaper about 2" wide X 8" long and fold it so it's 1" x 8" with the sandpaper sides facing out. Slip this between the filter and the band and it'll help the band grip the filter...

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Great idea! 'Sides, it's cleaner than hammering a hole in the filter with a screw driver.

·
Registered
507 Posts
On the occasions that I've had to have someone else change my oil and filter, when I went to change it the next time I've had to use the sandpaper trick, although it really doesn't matter which way the sandpaper faces. You're gonna throw the old filter away anyways.

Alot of times, using sandpaper, you won't even need to use the filter wrench. Just the sand paper in your hand will do the trick.

xkvator, thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
that's a great idea!! I just did my first oil change on my RG and I did have trouble with the band type wrench slipping, finally got it but now I know what to do..great site..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found an automotive oil fileter wrench that fits over the end of the HD oil filter perfectly. However, it would not go over the end of the oil filter when the filter was installed. There was not enough clearance behind the oil filter for the wrench to fit. So I used a hacksaw and cut out about one quarter of the filter wrench. Now it fits over the filter and loosens it easily.

·
Registered
227 Posts
wallyworld socket

i bought a $7 steel socket style 3/8" drive filter wrench from wallyworld[walmart] that works like a charm . fits HD filters perfectly. found it in the automotive dept.
with a 6" ext. and rachet it works on the Glide with just the rachet it does my S10 blazer

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Bookinit said:
I found an automotive oil fileter wrench that fits over the end of the HD oil filter perfectly. However, it would not go over the end of the oil filter when the filter was installed. There was not enough clearance behind the oil filter for the wrench to fit. So I used a hacksaw and cut out about one quarter of the filter wrench. Now it fits over the filter and loosens it easily.
I did the same thing to my oil wrench and it worked great till the stealer did an oil change for me. The tech that did the job musta really had a extra bowl of weaties that morning cause the next time I tried to change the filter the wrench slipped around it. I put a hose clamp around the oil wrench and tighted it up good and tight. That did the deed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only time I ever let a HD Tech change my oil, he almost got an ass whipping for denying he put the filter on so tight, I had to crush it to get it off. I did push the punk half way across the shop. I know the owner and he said he would take care of the "issue". The "issue" no longer works there.

The oil filters only need to be on a tad past hand tight, IMO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i've been using a very large pair of slip joint pliers [channelocks] for years on cars, trucks,and motorcycles of all kinds for years. it ruins the filter but you are goin to change it any way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts