V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 FXRS 22,000 miles all stock.
This season I have a very noticable ticking/clicking sound ONLY between 1700 and 2200 RPM. I have had the bike 5 years, never di it before.
Also does not do it when first started cold.
I was thinking could be known rocker shaft sound, but seems it would not be so RPM related.
This comes and goes exactly the same 1700 to 2200, and otherwise it sounds and runs great.
It does it sitting still or running down the road at any speed.
I am getting ready to tear into it be just hate to do that at this time of the year.
Wecome ideas.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Bottle Water bottle Plastic bottle Drinkware Cylinder

Drop one gear to keep the revs up above 2200 and save the teardown for later. If it's serious, it will show itself. Probably just showing its age.

Do you have a stethoscope? They work pretty good.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
just one tick?...i got a few and still runs good....also can ring it out hi up 100+mph and hold it there and still it runs like nothin happened..LoL..and then same ticks...could be age as stated above on all parts concerned...you can try some rocker lockers too..will help...easy install also...also syn oil is noisier...and dont forget your earplugs as seen above...loud is fun now... but you will be hard at hearing as you age

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just one tick?...i got a few and still runs good....also can ring it out hi up 100+mph and hold it there and still it runs like nothin happened..LoL..and then same ticks...could be age as stated above on all parts concerned...you can try some rocker lockers too..will help...easy install also...also syn oil is noisier...and dont forget your earplugs as seen above...loud is fun now... but you will be hard at hearing as you age
No it"s a hi feq. sound a bit like loose tappets, but more tinny.
I don't think it would be the rocker shafts because it is ONLY at 1700 - 2200 RPM.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rocker shaft noise is generally at a specific RPM range like you describe. Mine starts right at 2000 RPM and goes almost to 3200. Rocker lockers are in the toolbox waiting for a bad weather weekend. Check out some of the videos on YT. Several of them describe the sound as RPM specific.

Reactions: NCPiper

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rocker shaft noise is generally at a specific RPM range like you describe. Mine starts right at 2000 RPM and goes almost to 3200. Rocker lockers are in the toolbox waiting for a bad weather weekend. Check out some of the videos on YT. Several of them describe the sound as RPM specific.
Thanks, I was asuming the rocker sownd would happen at all RPMs. Sounds like that may be it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts