V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't it be easy enough to take a pre-'79 frame and turn it into anything you wanted?

Get a pre-'79 frame, send it out to a frame shop to turn it into a Softail, FXR, whatever frame... all you would need to retain is the neck with the VIN. Put whatever you want in it from there.

Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
People do it all the time with older cars too. Put a modern engine into an older body and off you go!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
monkeyboy said:
People do it all the time with older cars too. Put a modern engine into an older body and off you go!
i recall reading a few years back ( maybe in a US hotrod mag ) that there was a move to reverse the criteria for vehicle year, i.e. engine year determined age for registration as opposed to frame/ chassis/ body. did anything happen over this or was i dreaming:dunno:

·
Registered
65 Posts
bonnie john said:
i recall reading a few years back ( maybe in a US hotrod mag ) that there was a move to reverse the criteria for vehicle year, i.e. engine year determined age for registration as opposed to frame/ chassis/ body. did anything happen over this or was i dreaming:dunno:
That was back in the 80's. People then were replacing newer (emissions equipped/low compression) engines in, say, late '70s cars with high performance '60s engines, and the car would be emissions-tested to the engine's standards... win to the vehicle owner. The EPA caught on, and reversed the rules, so it was made illegal to swap in an engine older than the car, and emissions would be based on CAR year, not engine. Win, big brother.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and it's highly probable that a bike from, oh, say, 1975 would have a nice new S&S engine in it :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
jbtFXSTBI said:
That was back in the 80's. People then were replacing newer (emissions equipped/low compression) engines in, say, late '70s cars with high performance '60s engines, and the car would be emissions-tested to the engine's standards... win to the vehicle owner. The EPA caught on, and reversed the rules, so it was made illegal to swap in an engine older than the car, and emissions would be based on CAR year, not engine. Win, big brother.
:thanks: i'm surprised that enough people did that to require the epa to mandate against it. oh, hold on, it's a govt. job, isn't it?:yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts