V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 05 Road King Classic with a bad ECM not covered under warranty, as I had was a PC on it. Looking for a replacement. Bike is stock now except for AC and Rinehart pipes, would like to go 95 in the future. Moved this thread over here as there appears to be more discussion on aftermarket ECMs.

http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtal...essage&ID_Message=790730&ShowDelete=0&CDir=-2

The Thundermax has a map for my exact combo on there website, have searched the threads and found nothing negative about it except it is alpha based, but should I go to 95 would have a hard time finding a tuner for it.

The DTT TCFI appears to be trouble prone , have to keep adjusting the idle, have to keep a laptop in the saddle bag for when the bike wont start, and piss poor customer service. Also my Rinehart’s do have a hole for the O2 sensor in the front head pipe, but they recommend a sensor in the rear pipe to be placed where Rinehart’s have been know to crack. Kind of wonder if the problems with this system is from using lager throttle bodies or it is a POS to stay away from.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
zippers write their maps by running the bike with diffrent mods on a dyno. so, if they say they have a map for your particular combo, it is a dyno tune----
you will still need to do real world tuning just like you do after you have any bike dyno tuned.
mine was so close all i had to do was adjust iac for fast warm-up idle speed (it was a little fast for my taste ) and add a little fuel right around idle after it reached operating temp.
i had built my own baffles and air cleaner by cloning and improving upon the screamin eagle parts, so one would expect the map to be off by a little.
call tony at zippers, they have a deal whre you bring your bike to an event and they install the unit and adjust for any irregularities for $399!!!!!!!!!!!
by the way, thundermax is ( contains )the new ecm you need also .
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
roadrunnerldw1 said:
Have a 05 Road King Classic with a bad ECM not covered under warranty, as I had was a PC on it. Looking for a replacement. Bike is stock now except for AC and Rinehart pipes, would like to go 95 in the future. Moved this thread over here as there appears to be more discussion on aftermarket ECMs.

http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtal...essage&ID_Message=790730&ShowDelete=0&CDir=-2

The Thundermax has a map for my exact combo on there website, have searched the threads and found nothing negative about it except it is alpha based, but should I go to 95 would have a hard time finding a tuner for it.

The DTT TCFI appears to be trouble prone , have to keep adjusting the idle, have to keep a laptop in the saddle bag for when the bike wont start, and piss poor customer service. Also my Rinehart’s do have a hole for the O2 sensor in the front head pipe, but they recommend a sensor in the rear pipe to be placed where Rinehart’s have been know to crack. Kind of wonder if the problems with this system is from using lager throttle bodies or it is a POS to stay away from.
I have a Thundermax ECM that I purchased from Zipper's (intake and induction system; 54 mm throttle body) for the JIMS 120' motor on my 02 RK. I too ave Rinehart pipes. The map that cam pre-loaded is dialed in for my specific build. I've only had it for two weeks, so no huge observations yet.

There have been two extensive threads on the Thundermax ECM HERE and HERE.

regards,

wyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Stock ECM has to be password learned to the TSSM as pointed out to me by HarleyHog. So a used or new one is really not a option without using the MoCo equipment to do this. The 95 map they list is for SE 203 cams not what I had in mind (PING) but does mention they are developing more.

The bike ran great with the PC, had a map with my exact combo, I would expect it to run fine with the thundermax with there map and setting it up looks simple enough even for me. Reading the two threads looks like there is a guy setting up shop for tuning in Ormond bch Fl about 80 miles south of me, maybe I found A tuner should I go 95.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
road runner, sorry i just noticed where you are, zippers will be at daytona, so you can have thundermax installed then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No need to be sorry Clydbal I really appreciate any feedback I can get before deciding on what EMC I should go with and better be able to ask the right questions before contacting the supplier. The bike is only running on the front cylinder now so don’t think I want to wait tell bike week to have Zippers install it should I go with the thundermax. But looking at the Instructions they have online looks easy enough to do myself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
roadrunnerldw1 said:
No need to be sorry Clydbal I really appreciate any feedback I can get before deciding on what EMC I should go with and better be able to ask the right questions before contacting the supplier. The bike is only running on the front cylinder now so don’t think I want to wait tell bike week to have Zippers install it should I go with the thundermax. But looking at the Instructions they have online looks easy enough to do myself.
very easy to install, takes max of 5 minutes. be sure to cycle the switch per instructions so it recognises your tps and iac positions.
 

·
Fuel SYS ENG
Joined
·
144 Posts
Thundermax ECU :thumbsup:

You'll like the tuning software, Direct Link III that comes with it. Easy to use if you need to make any changes to the preloaded map.

Did you use SERT on your ECM before it died?

:corn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I will call Zippers and go with the Thundermax, No I did not have SERT lucky there as it is tied to the ECM and would have lost 450 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just Installed my Thundermax, came preloaded with the map for my combo, didn’t even have to move my computer to the garage. When for a little 400 mile ride, bike runs great, even better then with the PCIII, not even one exhaust pop on decel.
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
roadrunnerldw1 said:
Just Installed my Thundermax, came preloaded with the map for my combo, didn’t even have to move my computer to the garage. When for a little 400 mile ride, bike runs great, even better then with the PCIII, not even one exhaust pop on decel.

That's good news roadrunner! :yes:

I've noticed two things about my bike since I had the Thundermax installed.

Engine codes - the check engine light came on three separate times. It goes out upon restart, no code is stored.

TSSM codes - my bike has been throwing TSSM codes lately. I use the counting turnsignal flashes method to read the code (low power to TSSM) and erase.

My bike still runs like a beast. I need to get some dyno runs to see where I stand.

regards,

wyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure but I think the only thing that will make the check engine light come on is if your running hot. The instructions say that if it comes on to stop the engine and let it cool down. My want to call Zippers to make sure, hate to see you blow up that nice motor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
roadrunnerldw1 said:
Not sure but I think the only thing that will make the check engine light come on is if your running hot. The instructions say that if it comes on to stop the engine and let it cool down. My want to call Zippers to make sure, hate to see you blow up that nice motor.
while tuning, if you go outside the perameters of the ecm, it will trip the check engine light.while playing around with iac slider, i can make the light come on and stall the engine.
just reload the map and continue, part of the learning process.

and yes, the engine will get hot if you are letting it idle for awhile trying to tune the low speed fuel curve. this will also trip the light. a good failsafe in my opinion.
the engine is alredy at operating temp, you have the bike idling with the 02 sniffer and are moving the fuel around, doesn't take long to get hot.
you have to be patient and give yourself 2 beers, i mean cool down period, during this step.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My understanding from the instructions is that the light only comes on when the head temp reaches 325 degrees and you should let the bike cool down or get out of traffic to cool the bike. ( a outstanding failsafe) Just curious when tuning will the light come on without stalling the engine. Not sure but my understanding is that instead of throwing codes and tripping the light, if something is wrong with a sensor, ejector, etc. You should save a page from the engine monitor with the engine at idle, then if you have a system not functioning correctly in the future, let the bike idle and compare the numbers.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top