V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 05 FLHTI with the Stage 1 done (SE slash cut pipes and AC, flash, etc.). I am currently debating putting new pipes on. I noticed for touring bikes there are 3 styles that can be had: the standard 2-1 exhaust, the 2-2 slipons, and the 2-2 true dual. I'm more partial to the 2-2 look, especially on a touring bike.

I guess my main question would be, are the slipons really worth anything? Will they have any performance gains over my current pipes? And if I went the 2-1 route, would I need to remap with my current setup?

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
If you go with the 2-1 Thunderheader, the stock junk HD stage 1 flash will be even more useless. You can get a Power Commander IIIusb and use the map they provide on their website.

I have the 2-1 Thunderheader, Big Sucker air kit, stock ecm, and a PCIIIusb......and it works great with map 807-167.

Steve

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
crypto, the slip ons will give you gains, but I hear the hot set up is true duals with the TH mufflers. And yes you will have to re-map with an exhaust change.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
I had true duals with TH mufflers on my '96 RK, and I didn't like it at all. It just didn't have the right sound while cruising. At idle it sounded good, but when cruising or getting on it hard.......it just didn't sound right.

The 2-1 is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Steve

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
t-headers

Havent had true duals...only the 2:1 thunderheader.To me, it sounded and WORKED bitchen. One would think by using true duals you lose the scavenging effect which seems to be why MOST 2:1's beat out true duals in both torque and HP. 2:1 collector type systems routinely beat out true duals and the crappy stock HD "dual" system found stock on most baggers and retro softails. It's all in the design. As others have said...you can pay more money and get a "falsee" (fake) left side pipe is the aesthetics and balance that important to you. Actually, I liked being able to see MORE of my 18" wheels on the left side, but that's just me. My present bike i plan to stretch the hard bags so, I'll need the phony left side pipe when I do my engine build and subsequent pipe purchase, which will most likely be a Thunderheader....
Just my .02¢

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I agree that 2:1 will perform better than the duals, but some just gotta have the look of duals on their baggers. Myself I run a 2:1 Thunderheader on my bagger and prefer them to "duals".

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the sales group I ride with from the local dealer all have Thunderheaders 2:1 on their baggers (almost all of them have gone from a softtail to a RK or EG now!) They almost all had T'headers on their previous bikes too.

Tough choice to make. The headers with the falsee are about the cost of Rineharts, which I've heard more good than bad things about.

So, to add to the quagmire, which pipes would be better long term? I'm hoping by the end of the summer to have upgraded to 95".

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I have the Fatcat and couldn't be more pleased, asthetically and performance wise. Also have the left ghost pipe. To me it looks very good and folks are always surprised when I tell them the pipe false, and, for 90% of them if I didn't tell them they wouldn't know. The big thing to me was to weigh the pro and cons of each, left leg heat vs. no heat, 2:1 look vs 2:2, 2:2 look vs better performance, etc. Its tough, good in your decision.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Nothing will perform better then a 2-1....look at all the drag bikes, they all have a 2-1 system.

If you are going to a 95" kit, then you are obviously out for performance gains. So with that being said, the Thunderheader 2-1 is what you need to get the most out of your motor build.

Also, with going to the true 2-1 you save some weight too. By adding the falsee all you are doing is adding 20 lbs of useless mass.....just to look "right". I like the look of a 2-1 on a bagger.........it's not something you see every day, it sets you apart from the norm of what is expected.

Keep an eye on Ebay, the 2-1 TH pop up once in a while. Or post on here and on Delphi forums that you are looking for one.....that is what I did and I got mine for $210 with only 1 ride on it.

Good Luck,

Steve

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Thunderheader... Everyone who I know looking for performance is looking to change to it. Again, personal preference is this pipe ROCKS! :thumbsup:

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Not only does the Thunderheader perform great, it also is easy on the ears and sounds awesome.

Once you hit about 60 mph, the pipe gives this "rolling thunder" deep rumble.......it's great.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts