V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in November I picked up an '06 Ultra for its touring comfort while still keeping my '04 FXSTI. I've had the 95" kit installed along with the SEII intake. I also changed out the mufflers to V&H Ovals while retaining the stock head pipes. There's also a PCIII in the loop but I haven't had a dyno tune yet. That's the config, now here's the question.

Just how loud would Thunderheaders be in comparison to V&H Ovals? I've heard the Thunderheaders on other bikes both just sitting around in the lot at dealers and have even followed one while riding. It seems a good bit louder than my config but that was while I was behind it. I've read on the board here that that sound while cruising isn't so loud as to interfere with the radio. Remember, this is for a touring bike and I do want to listen to some tunes while riding.

I've read a ton of posts and it seems to be almost universally accepted that a 2-into-1 exhaust delivers noticably better performance (both dyno numbers and real world) over true duals and the fairly restrictive system that I'm running now. I'd like to have a little additional spunk in the bike that I feel I'd gain by installing Thunderheaders in conjunction with the PCIII and a dyno tune. My worry is just how loud is it for the rider.

So there's the question. Am I going to make the bike too loud to enjoy the radio/cds while touring in a quest to pick up a little more ooomph?

Thanks for any input,
Tom

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
if Ok, instead of starting a new post, i'll piggy back on here.

what is the durability of the chrome thunderheader finish?

i had a black stock coated TH on my Nite Train, and at 5k miles, had to have it re-ceramic coated black, and at 10k miles, the collector was getting touch ups with BBQ paint (wrap wally world bag behind it to catch overspray )

how do the chrome thunderheaders hold up?

Tom - FWIW, on the NT, the TH was AWESOME, all that "typical harley sound" that you want.

the volume was throttle dependent, and my neighbors all said it sounded good and did not annoy them, but if i beat on it, they could HEAR it ( i idle'd thru subdivision, but about 2 miles away, got on road and wicked it up )

it was pretty loud at highway speeds, though, the FXST is geared different than the FLHR

i want one for my Road King, but i don't have a radio.

hth?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
TLeath said:
Back in November I picked up an '06 Ultra for its touring comfort while still keeping my '04 FXSTI. I've had the 95" kit installed along with the SEII intake. I also changed out the mufflers to V&H Ovals while retaining the stock head pipes. There's also a PCIII in the loop but I haven't had a dyno tune yet. That's the config, now here's the question.

Just how loud would Thunderheaders be in comparison to V&H Ovals? I've heard the Thunderheaders on other bikes both just sitting around in the lot at dealers and have even followed one while riding. It seems a good bit louder than my config but that was while I was behind it. I've read on the board here that that sound while cruising isn't so loud as to interfere with the radio. Remember, this is for a touring bike and I do want to listen to some tunes while riding.

I've read a ton of posts and it seems to be almost universally accepted that a 2-into-1 exhaust delivers noticably better performance (both dyno numbers and real world) over true duals and the fairly restrictive system that I'm running now. I'd like to have a little additional spunk in the bike that I feel I'd gain by installing Thunderheaders in conjunction with the PCIII and a dyno tune. My worry is just how loud is it for the rider.

So there's the question. Am I going to make the bike too loud to enjoy the radio/cds while touring in a quest to pick up a little more ooomph?

Thanks for any input,
Tom

I don't know how load the TH is on bagger, but don't overlook the D&D Fatcat. I had one on my 95" Heritage, and it was pretty raucous, but I just put one on my 88" Ultra, and while is sounds healthy, and roars pretty good at full throttle, at cruise it is very mellow, doesn't interfere with hearing the tunes at all. Performance is great, and the fit and finish is perfect.

Teu

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Mine was pretty load while crusing until I had it dynoed. Closed the baffles up a little to get rid of some of the torque dip. This really quieted it down at cruising speed but it will still talk to ya when you get down on it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Marvin, how did you modify the TH baffles to lower the noise?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
The tuner (Doc) made a run on the dyno and observed the torque dip around 2500 rpm. He then used a large screwdriver up the tail pipe and bent the baffle outwards to close the baffle slightly. He ran another dyno run and adjusted again. He did this 5 times before he got what he wanted and greatly reduced the torque dip. A side effect of this is the bike is much quiter at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't have any problems hearing the stereo on my 03 FLHTCI with TH's. The wife sometimes has trouble hearing it even at full volume, but she says it is due to wind noise (passengers sit up higher) and not exhaust sound (at freeway speed). A set of Hogtunes speakers have been known to improve that situation. I love my TH.

·
Retired Bubblehead
202 Posts
TLeath said:

Thanks for any input,
Tom
Tom,

I have V&H Pro Pipe and compared to my pal's Thunder Header mine is considerably quieter. When we both are side by side, I can hardly hear my bike in comparison. When we both open things up, his is also louder.

I used to have V&H Straight Shots on the same bike and back then you couldn't hear his bike next to mine. :)

I really like the tone of my pipes compared to his. FWIW, he also prefers the tone from my pipe.

Wes

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Not too LOUD for a touring bike. Been there, have those, screw the t-shirt. Sounds like sweet music. But it's subjective to the individual...TH make the sound go real nice out the far back end. It may be loud to others not riding the bike. ?prty:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. I did a lot of research last night and today basically trying to balance performance and sound level. I have decided to go with a 2-1 exhaust system and have settled on the D&D Fat Cat. Performance wise it appears to be on par with the ThunderHeader but with a little milder tone at cruise speed. So, taking a bit of a leap of faith I ordered the D&D system today. Price wasn't the issue as they are all in the same ballpark. Performance of all these systems seems unanimous in being better than the present headpipes and V&H slipons that I am currently running. I sure hope so anyway. Wish me luck guys. I'll post back with my impressions of the pipes when I get them which will probably be a couple of weeks due to a backorder of the heat shields.

Thanks again for all your comments. This is a great place to get REAL information.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts