V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I apologize in advance if I am screwing this up but I am curious if this sounds right. I briefly caught part of American Thunder on the Speed channel tonight and I think they were upgrading a new Road King to a 95" kit. If I remember right, they hit the dyno with some type of 2 into one pipe and made around 107 horsepower. Then, they switched to a dresser duals style exhaust and hit the dyno again and made 91 hp.

Did I catch that right? I really wish I could get used to the looks of a 2 into one pipe, but call me a purist. Will a good set of full dual pipes on a 95 inch bagger really lose 16 horses to a 2:1??? Maybe I just wasn't watching the show closely enough. The guy doing the wrenching was named Wink and held 40 world speed records with bikes, so I imagine the bike was tuned and set up properly...

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I wouldn't commit to any numbers but you will do better with a 2-1. Especially on torque, which is critical on a bagger.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Hard Krome 3" t-rex true duals

These pipes make excellent power and sound great. Either way, the difference is not going to be something you will really notice. I just like the balanced, cool, fat, hotrod look! Find me a better all round exhaust system and I'll buy it!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The show put a 95" kit with Edelbrock Performer RPM kit on a RK Classic.
With V&H Pro Pipe with Competition baffels, it made 103.8 Hp and 98.7 FTLB Tq.
With V&H True Dual Dresser pipes it made 91Hp with 93FTLB Tq.
That is somthing you will feel. 12.8 ponies and 5.7 FtLb Tq on the table because of pipes is a lot.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have ran both on trick motors... You can tell the difference with no questions in my mind. Much more TQ with the TH. It's all about what "YOU" want to run. There are many threads here discussing this subject.

Good Luck!

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Retrax said:

Did I catch that right? I really wish I could get used to the looks of a 2 into one pipe, but call me a purist. Will a good set of full dual pipes on a 95 inch bagger really lose 16 horses to a 2:1??? Maybe I just wasn't watching the show closely enough. The guy doing the wrenching was named Wink and held 40 world speed records with bikes, so I imagine the bike was tuned and set up properly...
YES, a substantial difference can be made with the right pipes. If you have done anything to your motor for power and optimize the tune for the pipes, you will gain usable power with a 2:1 and it will be quite noticeable. What you saw on TV last night was the tip of the iceberg - the real key is how much more torque you can see through most all the rpm ranges with a nicely optimized 2:1. Given all the examples provided here (searchable on this forum), it is suprising how many people that choose (as is their right) to own true duals continue to pooh-pooh the long observed performance differences to those who ask for information.

If you want to have it look like two pipes, get a 2:1 system, get one that offers a false left side pipe. Certainly Thunderheader and D&D offer systems with this look, thousands own them (I have the TH setup).

·
Rider
848 Posts
bountyhunter said:
These pipes make excellent power and sound great. Either way, the difference is not going to be something you will really notice. I just like the balanced, cool, fat, hotrod look! Find me a better all round exhaust system and I'll buy it!

bountyhunter, excuse my ignorance but are those pipes shielded? Also, are those highway boards? Where did you get them?

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
LittleBear said:
The show put a 95" kit with Edelbrock Performer RPM kit on a RK Classic.
With V&H Pro Pipe with Competition baffels, it made 103.8 Hp and 98.7 FTLB Tq.
With V&H True Dual Dresser pipes it made 91Hp with 93FTLB Tq.
That is somthing you will feel. 12.8 ponies and 5.7 FtLb Tq on the table because of pipes is a lot.
I'm not convinced*TIBS* ...check out the dyno's posted on this thread which were taken from Dewey's website, and all include the exact same components except for the exhuast. The Tru-Duals dyno just as well as the Pro-pipe and Fatcat. They all used the same tuner as well, which leads me to believe that a good tuner seems to be more important than pipe selection IMO.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64611

1 - 9 of 9 Posts