V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing a Thunderheader on my 05 FXDI in the next day or so...will the SE gaskets work well with this or should I use the OEM's? Any "gotcha's" I should be aware of?

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
I didn't even replace the gaskets when I installed my TH. The stock exhaust is installed so loosely, that the gaskets were barely crushed at all. I just bolted up the new exhaust, tightened everything up, and I have no leaks at all......and I saved $15.

Steve

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, SE's it will be then...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed Thunderheader on my 03 Electraglide. I used S/E gaskets and they
were too thin so I used two ea., otherwise the front header hit the motor.
When I have time I am going to switch to the oem gaskets so my heatshields
will fit. Check the fit the S/E are half the thickness of the OEM.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thunderheaders Rock!

Got the Thunderheader installed this morning before work (I work 2nd shift) and it went on without any problems and the SE gaskets worked fine. I've only ridden the bike into work (the long way) but WOW is there a difference! The low end torque seems about the same but the mid to high seems much stronger, it rev's quick and hard. The sound seems tame enough to sneak into the neighborhood tonight at 0130 (hopefully) but when you get on it BAM...that's the sound I've been looking for!! Now I know why Chuck speaks so highly of these...very pleased!

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
It is the best sounding pipe......IMHO.

It can be quiet when you want it to be, and when you want it to bark it will. While cruising it mellows out nicely, and at idle it can't be beat.

Performance is great........like you said, it pulls like hard all the way.

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gulfstream, I glad all went well with the install. Did you get
chrome or black? I went with chrome and whishing I had black,
I hate to polish.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
georider said:
Gulfstream, I glad all went well with the install. Did you get
chrome or black? I went with chrome and whishing I had black,
I hate to polish.
Went with chrome...I'll throw a pic up when I get home. Went for a nice ride at my lunch...these put the SE II Pro's to shame. Will need to tweak the DFI tomorrow, getting some decel popping now. The motor makes pure music now at 4500 RPM's!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am glad to hear you like the Thunderheaders so much... I too have the Screaming Eagle IIs and purchased the Thunderheaders for Chistmas. I have a carb Stage 1 and from what I have heard, the Thunderheader will give me a little improvement over the SE IIs... maybe 5 HP. I was starting to wonder why I spent all that money on them for a little performance gain (although, I hope to go up to a 95" in the future).

I am going to save $70 and put on the pipes myself and get the bike dyno tuned. It will be interesting to see what the numbers before and after the tuning. If you get your bike dyno tuned... let us know the results.

Thanks.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Believe me...it's money well spent, quite a performance boost by seat of the pants and the sound alone is worth the money:rolleyes: . I'm not planning dyno runs until I do the big bore upgrade...down the road. Do save the $70, it's easy and only took about an hour or so.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Thunderheader on an Evo

Here's a pic of my 97 Wideglide with Thunderheader. I am running the 80" Evo with ported and polished heads, SE3 cam, a bit of extra compression, Mikuni 42 carb and I am getting 93 hp/97 torque. It's a blast to ride. Needless to say, I am very happy with the T-header ?prty:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts