V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEN,
The best sounding 2-1 pipe is a THUNDERHEADER !! Period!! Great performance ? Yep ! great sound ? yep!! Best 2 into one ?? YEP !!
JMHO
Tj

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Does sound great, but looks like crap. [email protected] with the quiet baffle comes in second place for sound, looks cleaner and may perform better, Just my 2 cents.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Does sound great, but looks like crap. [email protected] with the quiet baffle comes in second place for sound, looks cleaner and may perform better, Just my 2 cents.
Yup, I agree.

The Thunderheader 2-1 does sound great..............but looks like crap, heatshields suck, and the quality leaves a lot on the table.

The Fatcat with quiet baffle sounds great, and has all the quality and fit-n-finish the Thunderheader lacks.

I've owned both.........that's my honest opinion.

Steve

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
if you like loud... #1 is bassani roadrage...#2 is thunderheader...reverse megaphones rock!

·
Registered
33 Posts
MEN,
The best sounding 2-1 pipe is a THUNDERHEADER !! Period!! Great performance ? Yep ! great sound ? yep!! Best 2 into one ?? YEP !!
JMHO
Tj
YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER, BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM DRINK......too bad so many can't see the best exhaust..

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
There are only two pipes that rule HD world for sound and power.
RB Racing's pro stock 2 into 1 and JBV Racing's Guppy III.
Everything else is nuthin but wannbe's.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Uh huh ... yet another thread on the "Penis Pipe" (take a good look at it). Had one ... got rid of it ... did it sound good, yea ... did it perform well ... Yea, but not compared to some others. Looked like crap, rusted prematurely, heat shields looked like some cheap "Afterthought" and never fit well.

Now, if they updated the pipe with double wall, non bluing design like most D&D, Vance & Hines, Hardkrome and most of the other quality manufacturers, it might be worth looking at again. Until then, I'll stick to my LSR. Sounds and performs better, fantastic chrome quality ... and doesn't have a "Foreskin" that constantly needs cleaning. :roflback:

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
There are only two pipes that rule HD world for sound and power.
RB Racing's pro stock 2 into 1 and JBV Racing's Guppy III.
Everything else is nuthin but wannbe's.
:)

I had a Thunderheader for years on smaller cube bikes and they performed great and sounded great too but when you get to a certain point and start getting serious you have to go to a stepped, big diameter pipe, with a meg and collector that has been tested and track and dyno proven on big hp motors. Other than a custom ONE OFF true dual or 2-1 stepped pipe, the above mentioned pipes are the only ones I know that are for sale as a complete unit to the general public for various types of bikes and fit the bill. I took out a big time builder 5 years ago in a dyno shootout who ran a Thunderheader-It was choking the engine off and even though he had 7 more cubes than me I put him on the trailer.
That being said, it's all relative and a pipe like the Guppy is NOT for everyone. You have to have the motor to appreciate and need it's size pipe diameter, and they still dont have it for Baggers yet. But I promise you, if you heard one on a healthy engine you would agree (go to their site jbvracing.com and click on the sound card of the hemi head softail-turn up your speakers!)

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Hi.

I had a T-header on one of my bikes, the performance and tone were great, the quality of the welds and the heat shield were quite another.
The thing that really ticked me was the cost of the heat shield, and the fact they only covered half the pipes. i had to cut up my stock shields to get the pipe to stop melting my boots.

For the money, the Vance and Hines Pro Pipes is far and away better quality and the heat shield come with it, not a doubling of the price to get them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Thunderheaders may sound okay, but the quality of the pipe could be better. And hope that you never have anything go wrong with it and you need to deal with their customer service. The company is run by members of the Hells Angels, and they do not believe in any kind of customer service.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Thunderheaders may sound okay, but the quality of the pipe could be better. And hope that you never have anything go wrong with it and you need to deal with their customer service. The company is run by members of the Hells Angels, and they do not believe in any kind of customer service.
I agree with all that. But it's a great sounding exhaust. Although everybody has different tastes. I'm glad were're not all the same..

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got 2 sets

I put a set on my 87 FLHS, This is the short one. What I mean by that , is the end of the pipe comes about halfway down the saddlebag. Never had a problem with the heat shields. I seem to get pretty good performance with these, but can't really tell if the header had that much. I put the headers on in 96, I also put on Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock Carb(which was good from off idle to wide open, but sucked for start and idle),after fighting Edelbrock carb for 4 years switched to S&S, crane HI4E ignition,set of Jims lifters, Barnett Scorpion clutch. The bike, while it performs well,the S&S carb doesn't have what the Edelbrock give me at wide open. Getting back to the headers, I've had them on since 96 and there is no glass left in them. I have gotten them hot through the years , that the bafflle has broke itself loose. So it rattles, and you can hear it, that is until you grab a handfull of throttle. Now this bike really sounds good, and I want to keep them on. Well its my understanding about headers, is that a header performs correctly if both pipes are of equal length going to the collector. If you look at the Dynas and Sportsters that run ThunderHeader they are pretty close to the same length, but on the FL's and Softtails they are not. Also on the FL's the headers are longer. On my 87 with them ending halfway down the bag. From where the exhaust comes out of the bag it leaves a burn mark on the bottoms of the bags to where the heatmark is visible coming up around the surface of the back of the bag. No big deal to me. but it must have been to someone , because now they make them longer,so the tips come out past the ends of the bags. I believe doing this also robs some power. So when I got my 06 E-Glide I was going to put on Rineharts, true duals. But as luck would have it, I had a buddy who had a set of ThunderHeaders, with the falsie, and heat shields for $350, so I got them on now. He didn't like them because they were to loud. They sound good , but I want more performance.:coffee:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Men,
You guys are great ! Great points all the way around, I agree the quality could be better but for all the more Iam ever gonna do with my Bike they will work just fine and those puppies sound great.
Later
Tj

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
MEN,
JMHO
Tj
I have the D&D 2into1. My friend has the Thunderheader.
I have to admit, I think the Thunderheader sounds better...deeper sound which I like.
I like the sound of the D&D but the Thunderheader sounds a bit better IMO.
I didnt see much difference in performance.
Problem is, I like the look of the D&D alot better.
Too bad they couldnt make the D&D 2into1 sound like the Thunderheader

·
Need For Speed
195 Posts
:)

I had a Thunderheader for years on smaller cube bikes and they performed great and sounded great too but when you get to a certain point and start getting serious you have to go to a stepped, big diameter pipe, with a meg and collector that has been tested and track and dyno proven on big hp motors. Other than a custom ONE OFF true dual or 2-1 stepped pipe, the above mentioned pipes are the only ones I know that are for sale as a complete unit to the general public for various types of bikes and fit the bill. I took out a big time builder 5 years ago in a dyno shootout who ran a Thunderheader-It was choking the engine off and even though he had 7 more cubes than me I put him on the trailer.
That being said, it's all relative and a pipe like the Guppy is NOT for everyone. You have to have the motor to appreciate and need it's size pipe diameter, and they still dont have it for Baggers yet. But I promise you, if you heard one on a healthy engine you would agree (go to their site jbvracing.com and click on the sound card of the hemi head softail-turn up your speakers!)
I heard and saw the Hemi Softail in person....Holy Sh$t ! The only other motor that sounds that good on gas is Gates Performance 154 C I 200hp, they are both music to the ears.

As for street pipes...I'll put my Rhinehart True duals with the BIG baffles up next to any muffled/baffled sound out there, and performance is just fine too........I'd run something different for racing.:whistle:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
FatCat with quiet baffles

First run with the FatCat, FI not dialed in yet (currently set to 13.2 across the board).
Initially, a little disappointed in the loudness - not quite as loud as the Kerker slip ons/Mikuni performance baffles I had on my carbed 02 E-Glide. (there were a few times I wish the Kerkers were a bit quieter)
FatCat sounds really mellow, pretty good volume when you twist the throttle - a bit of backdown burble, but no backfire - will know more about that when do some more tuning.

I've heard the T-Header. A bit too loud, and too "sharp" for me -
I may end up really liking the FatCat - maybe go to the standard baffle if I want just a bit louder.

Mainly thinking out loud - mind not made up yet (can anyone tell that?:whistle:
I'm thinking I would have probably really liked the LSR 2-1 as well.

It's all subjective for now. . . just my musings.

Edit: Looks like I shouda posted this in the FatCat thread. Admin wants to move it, wont hurt my feelings.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts