V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is going to be long.

I have a 2000 Ultra with the Magnetti Marrelli efi system. I have had a power commander on it for probably 17 year or so. I have tuned it myself and it does okay; just burns a lot of fuel. I know I have it too rich. I purposly run it rich to not burn up the header pipes. I have ruined a few over the years.

My problem is that I am having difficulty making the decision on whether to buy the thunder max system or just go to a tuner. Of course a tuner might or might not do a good job and it will never be as good as a closed loop system.

Pros for thunder max are that I should be through playing with maps. I will not use as much fuel and will have a better running bike.

Cons for thunder max are cost. 900 bucks for the unit, I don't know how much to replace the header pipes. (never had much luck welding in bungs) A big learning curve installing the unit and learning how to use it. Also I am just not looking forward to another project.

If anybody has any thoughts, advice, ideas, things I am overlooking, or experience with the thunder max system to help me make my decision, I would appreciated it.

·
Super Moderator
21,145 Posts
I wouldn't spend that kind of money on an MM system. It's getting too damn hard to find some of the part for the rest of the system. Just get it tuned.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,239 Posts
It's hard to find anybody to touch a MM system for proper tuning. Actually, there isn't much you can do with the system other than setting rev limit, adjust timing and adjust injector duty cycle.

Is the engine stock or does it have mods?

If you have a decent running map and just think it is rich, it's easy enough to play with fuel settings. Start with the buttons on the PC unit to get an idea where in the rpm range you need adjustments, then follow up by fixing the map on your computer and writing it to the Power Commander.

If you've never had it properly tuned, you may want to start by playing with the timing table first, then working on fuel levels.

What has been your process of "tuning it yourself"?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I converted my carbed bike to fuel injection using the Thundermax. I love it! Pricey yes. Most people think I'm crazy but I just got back from a 2000 mile trip and the bike ran great without a hiccup and I was getting 41 mpg at 75 mph. I set it up with 14:1 afr up to half throttle and then it richens to 13:1 above half throttle. The instructions are good and it's not that hard to figure out. The fact it self tunes means you never have to worry about elevation, temperature or weather.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't spend that kind of money on an MM system. It's getting too damn hard to find some of the part for the rest of the system. Just get it tuned.
That is probably the sensible thing to do. I keep forgetting my old MM bikes are not worth much and sooner or later I will be out of options as far as the fuel injection goes.

·
Super Moderator
21,145 Posts
That is probably the sensible thing to do. I keep forgetting my old MM bikes are not worth much and sooner or later I will be out of options as far as the fuel injection goes.
Not out of options, but perhaps tired of waiting. You need to get a tps for it, you might have to wait on a slow boat from the EU and then do a little jiggering to make it work. After a month or so a carb or Delhi salvage conversion might start looking good.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to find anybody to touch a MM system for proper tuning. Actually, there isn't much you can do with the system other than setting rev limit, adjust timing and adjust injector duty cycle.

Is the engine stock or does it have mods?

If you have a decent running map and just think it is rich, it's easy enough to play with fuel settings. Start with the buttons on the PC unit to get an idea where in the rpm range you need adjustments, then follow up by fixing the map on your computer and writing it to the Power Commander.

If you've never had it properly tuned, you may want to start by playing with the timing table first, then working on fuel levels.

What has been your process of "tuning it yourself"?
The engine mods are very mild for extreme dependability: street port job, S&S 531G cams, improved oil pump, improved cam plate, S&S SPO slip ons, and of course rebuilt Harley's shitty fly wheels.

With the power commander, I started with a canned map that I found on this site, that was close to my set up. I've made many adjustments to fuel and ignition maps from my lap top. I keep the buttons in the middle in case I need to make changes on the road. The power commander is easy use, just hard to get it right with out know what the Hard to avoid detonation and over heating without oxygen sensor information. I also have a "beast" road king with a MM system. I've had it tuned, but still have problems cruising at a steady speed.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I converted my carbed bike to fuel injection using the Thundermax. I love it! Pricey yes. Most people think I'm crazy but I just got back from a 2000 mile trip and the bike ran great without a hiccup and I was getting 41 mpg at 75 mph. I set it up with 14:1 afr up to half throttle and then it richens to 13:1 above half throttle. The instructions are good and it's not that hard to figure out. The fact it self tunes means you never have to worry about elevation, temperature or weather.
That kind of afr would be my dream touring bike. I just can't decide if I want to spend the money and effort on a 2000 model ultra. I hate throwing good money after bad.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,239 Posts
That kind of afr would be my dream touring bike. I just can't decide if I want to spend the money and effort on a 2000 model ultra. I hate throwing good money after bad.
If you want to spend less money and a little effort, maybe you could try something like this to aid in tuning.

Innovate wideband air fuel ratio gauge with round Billet display. Digital wideband air fuel ratio gauge will help you tune your engine and make more HP. - Innovate wideband air fuel ratio gauge with round Billet display

Reactions: jbxmn

·
Registered
491 Posts
Convert that bike to Delphi. Lots of ways to do it. Zippers offers a pretty good kit for this application. You probably have a bunch of other ways. Lots of options, but save that bike and get rid of that MM stuff.

Reactions: jbxmn

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry this is going to be long.

I have a 2000 Ultra with the Magnetti Marrelli efi system. I have had a power commander on it for probably 17 year or so. I have tuned it myself and it does okay; just burns a lot of fuel. I know I have it too rich. I purposly run it rich to not burn up the header pipes. I have ruined a few over the years.

My problem is that I am having difficulty making the decision on whether to buy the thunder max system or just go to a tuner. Of course a tuner might or might not do a good job and it will never be as good as a closed loop system.

Pros for thunder max are that I should be through playing with maps. I will not use as much fuel and will have a better running bike.

Cons for thunder max are cost. 900 bucks for the unit, I don't know how much to replace the header pipes. (never had much luck welding in bungs) A big learning curve installing the unit and learning how to use it. Also I am just not looking forward to another project.

If anybody has any thoughts, advice, ideas, things I am overlooking, or experience with the thunder max system to help me make my decision, I would appreciated it.
I ran the Thundermax system on my 2008 Ultra and was very satisfied with it. My big reason for going that route was my wife and I did a lot of touring and I wanted the bike to run as good in the mountain elevations as it did at sea level.

I don’t know where you’re located but I had my system set up by Fuel Moto in Wisconsin who (I believe) somehow contributed to the development of the system.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,239 Posts
I would just have a buddy follow you, and dial back the fuel until it doesn't stink too much.
🤣🤣🤣
Why follow me? I'm not tuning anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts