V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have excessive valve noise at least thats what i think, but it's been noisey ever since my GMR build about 10000 miles ago. I have looked and nothing is hitting the valve cover or piston and the valves are adjusted right.
What i don't like ,is i seem to hear a thumping noise from the front cylinder , at first i thought it was an exhaust thumping but now i'm not sure. Now it's driving me nuts. I don't hear any knocking or any strange vibrations when i rev it up or get on it.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
mori55 said:
I seem to have excessive valve noise at least thats what i think, but it's been noisey ever since my GMR build about 10000 miles ago. I have looked and nothing is hitting the valve cover or piston and the valves are adjusted right.
What i don't like ,is i seem to hear a thumping noise from the front cylinder , at first i thought it was an exhaust thumping but now i'm not sure. Now it's driving me nuts. I don't hear any knocking or any strange vibrations when i rev it up or get on it.
I have a similar noise at idle sometimes - i would describe mine as more of a "swerrrrshing" sound - hard to describe. Seems to be coming from the primary or crank area. Everything in the primary looks okay, and the bike runs fine and hauls ass as usual. I figure if something breaks i'll probably find out what was making the noise. Until then i'll just monitor it to see if it gets worse. Could a primary bearing i guess. Anybody know what kind of noise a bad bearing makes?

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
miles to go said:
I have a similar noise at idle sometimes - i would describe mine as more of a "swerrrrshing" sound - hard to describe. Seems to be coming from the primary or crank area. Everything in the primary looks okay, and the bike runs fine and hauls ass as usual. I figure if something breaks i'll probably find out what was making the noise. Until then i'll just monitor it to see if it gets worse. Could a primary bearing i guess. Anybody know what kind of noise a bad bearing makes?
Check to see if the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch in neutral. If it does, your primary bearing is going out. Happened to me.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
At What Rpm Does The Sound Happen?

Chasing gremlins SUCKS!!! Check your engine mounts, compensater nut,ect... $hit... I spent all of last week chasing a rattle and it was the head breather bolts loosened up that made the air cleaner bracket rattle!!!+SMSH+

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No difference wether the clutch is in or out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts