V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and did not find the exact answer to my question.

Does the throttle side of a 2001 HD Softail come with a sleeve for the grip to fit over? I just replaced a replacement set of grips on my '01 Softail with stock bars and there is a lot of play. Because it already had aftermarket grips I am wondering if something was removed that I now need.

It is a PM contour grip.

I am thinking I am missing a sleeve to make the grip have a better fit and a shim or spacer to reduce lateral play.

Any tips? Anyone have contour grips on stock bars?

Thanks in advance,
Bret

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
slo100 said:
I searched and did not find the exact answer to my question.

Does the throttle side of a 2001 HD Softail come with a sleeve for the grip to fit over? I just replaced a replacement set of grips on my '01 Softail with stock bars and there is a lot of play. Because it already had aftermarket grips I am wondering if something was removed that I now need.

It is a PM contour grip.

I am thinking I am missing a sleeve to make the grip have a better fit and a shim or spacer to reduce lateral play.

Any tips? Anyone have contour grips on stock bars?

Thanks in advance,
Bret
Probably just the way the new grip is made. There's no sleeve, shim or spacer that stays with the bars.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
If you could hook up the throttle cables and it went in the switch housing, you have the sleeve already.
Make sure you adjusted the throttle cables per the book.

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the book so I'll get the cables right...there just seems to be a lot of play between the bar and grip...like the inside diameter of the grip is just a hair too big

There is no sleeve i can detect. I have a chrome bar and a billet grip...no nothing in between.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.