V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a throttle mate from http://www.throttlemate.com/. I figure that there is about 160 degrees of rotation from where this thing hits the idle cable (all the way back) to where it hits the throttle cable (all the way forward). If I install it so that it locks the throttle when all the way forward, then when I pull it all the way back there is still too much drag on the throttle. If I install it so that there is no drag when all the way back, then it won’t lock the throttle when I push it all the way forward.
For sure this is no cruise control; I’m just trying to lock the throttle so I can occasionally take my hand off of the throttle for a short while on a long trip.
Anybody get one of these throttle locking devices to work?

·
Registered
404 Posts
The Stock Throttle lock with a fresh spring works great for me. I just have mine set so that there is drag on it all time. Can take my hand off at any position and it'll stay there.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which spring?

fxrflh said:
The Stock Throttle lock with a fresh spring works great for me. I just have mine set so that there is drag on it all time. Can take my hand off at any position and it'll stay there.
Thanks for the reply. Which spring are you referring to? The spring under the stock throttle lock adjusting screw?, or the throttle return spring down at the throttle body/carburetor?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
rtb,

Turn the stock throttle lock just enough so that the throttle won't return to stop, then install the thingy you bought. That should give you enough play to take the friction off the throttle in the space left.

I've always been able to use the stock setup just fine, even with heavy duty winter gloves on. 1st thing you should do to make it easier to use regardless of which setup you have, is to pull the threaded portion of the throttle stop out and put never-seize on it. After a few uses, it will turn real easy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The wife and I both have them, and they work great. Mine will lock and unlock with no problems. Check to be sure you are not hitting something that is preventing full travel. On my EG, the lock screw was hitting part of the switch housing. I filed the switch housing a little and then got full movement.

Having the lever is much better than trying to turn that wheel, especially with heavy gloves on.

Regards,

Bill

·
---
201 Posts
Anyone besides me think that throttle locks are dangerous?
Seems that you might lose the "dead man switch" effect if the throttle is released for whatever reason.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
billnourse said:
The wife and I both have them, and they work great. Mine will lock and unlock with no problems. Check to be sure you are not hitting something that is preventing full travel. On my EG, the lock screw was hitting part of the switch housing. I filed the switch housing a little and then got full movement.

Having the lever is much better than trying to turn that wheel, especially with heavy gloves on.

Regards,

Bill
Thanks much for the feedback. I took a trip at lunch time today and checked out a few other bikes on the showroom floor. My bike is broke. The ones on the floor at the dealer took very little (compared to mine) rotation of the lock screw to lock/unlock the throttle. While at the dealer, I bought a new friction sprint p/n 56396-74A (the plastic half moon shaped gizmo that rubs on the throttle) and adjusting screw spring p/n 56394-74. I'll bet that one of these makes mine work OK. Thanks for the input.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
swodo said:
Anyone besides me think that throttle locks are dangerous?
Seems that you might lose the "dead man switch" effect if the throttle is released for whatever reason.
Same here... Its handy on long rides, but its the emergency situations I don't want it...

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,852 Posts
I put a similar lever on mine last year. I love it, but mainly use it for warm-up in the morning. I've tried it when on the road, but am most comfortable (physically, not psychologically) with both hands on the grips, so seldom use it like that.

Joe

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I just installed the 'Throttle Mate' on my '05 XL this afternoon. Seems to work perfectly. Engage it with the thumb and continue pushing it with my forefinger until it hits the throttle cable. Lots easier to set the 'star' screw with gloves on...

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still not working...

rtb said:
Thanks much for the feedback. I took a trip at lunch time today and checked out a few other bikes on the showroom floor. My bike is broke. The ones on the floor at the dealer took very little (compared to mine) rotation of the lock screw to lock/unlock the throttle. While at the dealer, I bought a new friction sprint p/n 56396-74A (the plastic half moon shaped gizmo that rubs on the throttle) and adjusting screw spring p/n 56394-74. I'll bet that one of these makes mine work OK. Thanks for the input.
I replaced the two parts and still it takes about 1.5 to 2 whole turns of the throttle lock to go from completely free to locked. This thing is so simple I can't even imagine what could be screwed up. It isn't that big of a deal but I'll continue working on just cause I gotta know whatsup!:hmmm:

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
This is a bit off topic, so I apologize in advance, but when do you guys find a need to use the throttle lock?

After reading this thread last night I tried my regular star wheel lock today just to see how difficult it was to use. It did lock the throttle, and wasn't that hard to use with medium weight gloves on, but I can't figure when I'd ever use it. I've never paid it much attention except to fine tune the tension on the throttle a little.

I have a throttle boss type paddle installed on the endcap so I can flex my fingers a bit now and again while cruising and just keep pressure on it with the heel of my hand, but I think locking the throttle would make me too nervous. Do they really help?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Glad I have cruise control, I dealt with this throttle-lock issue for years and can tell you, get a dresser with cruise control!!! Problem solved.......

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
rtb said:
I replaced the two parts and still it takes about 1.5 to 2 whole turns of the throttle lock to go from completely free to locked. This thing is so simple I can't even imagine what could be screwed up. It isn't that big of a deal but I'll continue working on just cause I gotta know whatsup!:hmmm:
It doesn't have to be completely turned down, ie, turned completely free where it won't turn anymore. Try this while bike is sitting with the engine off: open the throttle about a 1/4 turn, while holding it open turn in (tighten) the throttle lock until it just barely holds the throttle in that position. Now remove your hand from the throttle and slowly backoff on the throttle lock. It should only take a small amount for the throttle to return to the idle position.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Snaps said:
This is a bit off topic, so I apologize in advance, but when do you guys find a need to use the throttle lock?

After reading this thread last night I tried my regular star wheel lock today just to see how difficult it was to use. It did lock the throttle, and wasn't that hard to use with medium weight gloves on, but I can't figure when I'd ever use it. I've never paid it much attention except to fine tune the tension on the throttle a little.

I have a throttle boss type paddle installed on the endcap so I can flex my fingers a bit now and again while cruising and just keep pressure on it with the heel of my hand, but I think locking the throttle would make me too nervous. Do they really help?
I've been using them ever since HD first installed them. Anytime I'm on the highway and am gonna be riding for a few miles, mine is on. Why would they make you nervous?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Electronic cruise control is one thing Harley should have as an option for all bikes. Most 2nd time bike owners would buy it.

Thorns

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ed Y said:
I've been using them ever since HD first installed them. Anytime I'm on the highway and am gonna be riding for a few miles, mine is on. Why would they make you nervous?
Same here.

There's times when you can see 30 miles of open road. It's nice to drop your arms occasionally on a 700 mile day.

With cruise control there's still a need to grasp both handles firmly during an unwanted encouter also.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Ed Y said:
I guess I just wouldn't feel like I had as much control. Silly, maybe, especially since I've never really tried it. I'd actually pretty much always just forgotten about that little wheel until I started reading this thread. For some reason, now I feel like I almost have to have one of these little levers. Stupid internet.+SMSH+

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Snaps said:
I'd actually pretty much always just forgotten about that little wheel until I started reading this thread. For some reason, now I feel like I almost have to have one of these little levers. Stupid internet.+SMSH+
I know exactly how you feel!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use the throttle mate a lot. On long trips I often take one had off of the bars.

If it's really cold, and I have ridden when it is really cold, you can put a hnad down below the seat and warm up a little with heat off of the engine.

I also mess with my XM radio and stereo while going down the road, as well as drinking water, etc.

I find that a firm grip on both handlebars is not necessary to maintain control of a bike. Especially on long straight stretches of road.

Regards,

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts