V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done about 1900 miles of my road trip without throttle lock. My right arm is shot! I run the thumbwheel all the way tight while at speed but it doesn't lock. What am I doing wrong? Never used one before and should have read the book but i thought it was simple.

And yes I'm tightening it the right way. Actually running it to the stops both ways.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
geno2w1 said:
I've done about 1900 miles of my road trip without throttle lock. My right arm is shot! I run the thumbwheel all the way tight while at speed but it doesn't lock. What am I doing wrong? Never used one before and should have read the book but i thought it was simple.

And yes I'm tightening it the right way. Actually running it to the stops both ways.
sounds like it's broke

·
Registered
967 Posts
Have you replaced your throttle grips recently or serviced your bike? I bet the plastic piece that tightens when the wheel is turned is missing or broke like xcelr8 stated above. Real easy to check yourself. Don't ask me how I know that!!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
there is a small shoe that presses against the inside of the throttle to lock it. it is easy to misposition when changing grips...if anyone has been in there.

·
banal
486 Posts
My 07 was the same way. I thought they dropped out the shoe when they changed my grips prior to my taking delivery. Like Tom says, easy to do. When I opened up the housing I found the shoe was in the proper place, but somehow they got some type of oil all over the bar so it was too slippery to find traction. I cleaned off the oil real good and it works great now.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
What are you doing wrong? First and foremost, that is NOT a poor man's cruise control. It's left over from the carb'ed days, when guys would idle the bike up and lock it in place till it warmed up.

Your owners manual will instruct you to NOT use it as you're trying.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I miss my throttle tensior, on my 07 with FI. Be nice to have tensioner and cruise.

·
Registered
729 Posts
ChopperDude said:
What are you doing wrong? First and foremost, that is NOT a poor man's cruise control. It's left over from the carb'ed days, when guys would idle the bike up and lock it in place till it warmed up.

Your owners manual will instruct you to NOT use it as you're trying.
That may be so, but man does it save the old right arm on long trips. A little tension goes a long way. I would not suggest using it through twisties or inclement weather, but I would not use cruise during those either.

Also, I see plenty of after market "throttle locks" that are marketed for holding the grip in place for a little relief on long trips, so I see how HD held that antiquated (spelling?) piece of technology over from the ancient days of carb'ed bikes.:laugh:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
a big o ring will do the same thing. When you want to use it, you skin it over the end of the grip. It should be snug against the handlebar clamp. you can twist it up or down and it stays(without breaking the plastic "shoe")

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out the plastic shoe was never installed at the factory. The boys at Big Swamp HD hooked me up. I know it's not a throttle lock but like R-Rated said, it's nice to have a couple of minutes relief every now and then.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I used the throttle rocker on my last bike and it worked great after I modified it. It was a little long and slid up my sleve so I just trimmed it shorter.

http://www.throttlerocker.com/

I think it was about $12 or $14 dollars so you're not out much if you don't like it.

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Try this

geno2w1 said:
Turns out the plastic shoe was never installed at the factory. The boys at Big Swamp HD hooked me up. I know it's not a throttle lock but like R-Rated said, it's nice to have a couple of minutes relief every now and then.
Using the thumb screw is very awkward, especially when wearing gloves. I use this little piece of plastic called a Klever Lever, as do many others. It's easy to use while riding, and just slips on over the thumb screw.

The safest way to use it is to create enough friction that it's easy to hold the throttle in one position, but not enough to lock the throttle in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts