V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the 10K mile scheduled maintenance. The service manual says that the tank and carb should be drained of all gas before lubricating the throttle cable. Is that really necessary?

I know everything cannot/isn't included in the manual, but they don't mention lubricating the clutch cable during this maintenance period. It seems that this should be lubed along with the throttle cable. Correct?

·
Registered
695 Posts
That sounds really bizarre. I look forward to reading this thread. Maybe I'm reading it wrong -- I'd have your same question (necessary?)-- but look forward to hearing the answer.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it's a carb bike it is a good idea to close the petcock and run the fuel bowl dry, ie let the bike run out of gas, because when you adjust the cables you tend to play with the throttle and could flood the engine. No big deal but they write this stuff for the lowest common denominator.
Best stuff to lube them is a syringe with automatic trans fluid, this is the best stuff and you avoid disassembling a lot of stuff, simply split the switch housing and squirt away.
Sure, you lube the clutch cable also. Since you would adjust the clutch cable and pushrod the cable is already slack, so it's a one minute thing to disconnect it from the lever and lube the pivots, and it makes lubing the cable real easy.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've never read / seen HIPPO joking around when it comes to technical stuff but I'm not sure about this one. Automatic Transmission Fluid? Is this maybe like one of those WD-40 jokes?
When I get my bike I'm ridin out to Arizona to meet HIPPO. One Hell of Nice guy -- you can tell by his post count alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts