V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a throttle cable that just locked solid out of nowhere. It was working fine, no signs of binding or sticking, but then the next time I went out I couldn't twist the throttle at all. I pulled the cable off and tried to lube it, but still nothing. I get maybe 1/8" of free play from either end; there aren't any crimps in the housing and I've gone through the housing and bent it back and forth from end to end to see if I could feel anything, but I can't find any obvious reason. Is there anything I can do, short of just pulling on it until it either gives way or breaks? I've already pulled about as hard as I'm comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
One or more of the wire strands have probably broken embedding itself in the casing. New cable is the only solution.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
This reminds me of what a boat mechanic said that people said their motor was running great. Only it wasn't they just got use to it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Stock handlebars and cables? Replace 'em with Barnett's. Teflon lined for those who don't like to lube them.

Check how it's routed. I've seen some outer jackets crushed between the fork/frame stops.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
Stock handlebars and cables? Replace 'em with Barnett's. Teflon lined for those who don't like to lube them.

Check how it's routed. I've seen some outer jackets crushed between the fork/frame stops.
See now if someone has a piss poor memory like I have it is easy enough to take pictures with the phone for reference. Back in the dark ages I use to draw the diagram or what wires went where.

I use Barnett and they are great. Made for the simple minded.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny ("funny") thing is that it's actually a Barnett cable. I sent them a message through their website and never heard anything back. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still haven't gotten a new cable, but I talked to Barnett today and was told something interesting. He said that it doesn't happen often, but they've seen electrical shorts go through the cable and melt the lining inside the wire, freezing it solid. I don't know for sure that's what happened, but I do remember knocking a connector out of a plug around the time the cable got stuck. Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and may be helpful to someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I still haven't gotten a new cable, but I talked to Barnett today and was told something interesting. He said that it doesn't happen often, but they've seen electrical shorts go through the cable and melt the lining inside the wire, freezing it solid. I don't know for sure that's what happened, but I do remember knocking a connector out of a plug around the time the cable got stuck. Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and may be helpful to someone in the future.
Have you opened your cable to see exactly what went wrong? That would be interesting to see if an electrical short actually could cause the problem.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Disconnect the battery. If somethings electrical is using the cable for a ground, it should stop and the cable will move freely.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Disconnect the battery. If somethings electrical is using the cable for a ground, it should stop and the cable will move freely.
Not necessarily. If the current heated the cable and melted the lining, removing current will only stop additional damage, it won't free anything up.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To reiterate/clarify for a couple of folks, the cable is completely off the bike and I get maybe 1/8", at most, of movement of the cable in the housing. I threw in the towel and ordered a new cable, I'll likely cut the old one open and see what I can see (if I can, it's braided stainless). I'll followup with anything that I find.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
To reiterate/clarify for a couple of folks, the cable is completely off the bike and I get maybe 1/8", at most, of movement of the cable in the housing. I threw in the towel and ordered a new cable, I'll likely cut the old one open and see what I can see (if I can, it's braided stainless). I'll followup with anything that I find.
Sorry, didn't realize the "still nothing" meant while the cable was off. I envisioned that you removed it, lubed it, re-installed it and still had the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts