V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my throtte body. The service manual says to remove the whole intake manifold (induction module) to replace the throttle body. Are there any tricks to gain access to the two screws that hold the throttle body without removing the whole intake manifold? Mine is a 2003 88B motor in a Heritage Classic. TIA

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I'm not sure what size torx they are, but I was able to get mine off leaving the manifold in place. You just need to have something long and skinny to get in there, like a long 1/4" nut driver with the proper torx bit in the end. It's possible.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
rtb - I have a 2003 88 RK and found that I had to remove the horn, fuel rail and injectors before I could get to the top throttle body screw from the left side of the bike. All you need then is a long extension to hold the proper torx driver. That's still easier than removing the intake manifold, I think. I would assume the Heritage is similar.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
rtb said:
I need to replace my throtte body. The service manual says to remove the whole intake manifold (induction module) to replace the throttle body. Are there any tricks to gain access to the two screws that hold the throttle body without removing the whole intake manifold? Mine is a 2003 88B motor in a Heritage Classic. TIA

Sears has torx long shafted screw drivers that get right in there.....

:woohoo: -2$en#e- :woohoo:

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1711tab said:
Sears has torx long shafted screw drivers that get right in there.....

:woohoo: -2$en#e- :woohoo:
Do you mean from the left side of the engine? Remove horn...etc.?

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Sir...went to Sears at lunch today. The 10" long T20 Torx screwdriver is part number 47182. $6.99. Works great! Thanks for the help guys.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
rtb said:
Do you mean from the left side of the engine? Remove horn...etc.?
Yes...

:xhere: :xhere: :xhere:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
rtb said:
Yes Sir...went to Sears at lunch today. The 10" long T20 Torx screwdriver is part number 47182. $6.99. Works great! Thanks for the help guys.:thumbsup:
rtb--what stuff are you leaving in place and more importantly what are the torque values/sequence for install--looks easy to get off--but I'm concerned(is it a valid concern?) about getting it sealed up on the install and can't figure out what t20 set up I can get in there to do that. Please let me know.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kelly, we have two similiar threads. I'll try not to duplicate. I thought it best to not try to replace the broken throttle plate shaft. The shaft/bearing appears to be pressed which would be a little tricky for an amateur like me to get right AND be confident that I won't have trouble down the road. Also, you hear so much about intake leaks are these motors I didn't want to chance it...so I bought the whole throttle body. Unless others can give you better advice, to get the O-ring that goes between the throttle body and induction module (intake manifold) you have to buy a ~$25 "kit". Then you have to decide if you want to re-use the IAC motor gasket (copper flat washer looking thing I think), and air temp sensor paper gasket when you move these to the new throttle body. These gaskets are not sold separately (again...that I know of, but I'll defer to experts here). So if you want these, you have to buy the sensors. Using the Sears T20 screw driver, you only have to remove the horn to gain access to the two scews that hold the throttle body to the induction module, leaving the fuel injector, fuel line...etc. in place. I plan to do this soon, maybe even tonight. HDWRENCH mentioned 18 inch/pounds in the other thread. Always do what he says. Good luck.

edit...I also unplugged the engine temp. sensor plug, but left the temp. sensor in place. This gave just a bit more access.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
rtb said:
Your welcome.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts