V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I have had lots of other types, but this is my first H-D, so I am full of questions. I have a new FLHTCUI and upgraded to the factory touring muffler that H-D offers. They are a little louder than the stock mufflers but there are times that I may want something even louder (more like what people expect from a H-D) than what I have. Are there some slipons that will allow this without causing problems with the EFI? Also, I took a 7 year warranty, will slipons void that?. What are my options, if any?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
chuckfw said:
Just wondering. I have had lots of other types, but this is my first H-D, so I am full of questions. I have a new FLHTCUI and upgraded to the factory touring muffler that H-D offers. They are a little louder than the stock mufflers but there are times that I may want something even louder (more like what people expect from a H-D) than what I have. Are there some slipons that will allow this without causing problems with the EFI? Also, I took a 7 year warranty, will slipons void that?. What are my options, if any?
Chuckfw, I am pretty sure that no slip-on will void your warranty. Pipes are probably one of the most difficult decisions you will make you have much to consider, Power, Price, Fit/finish and sound. The options are endless. I would suggest a 2-1 for Power and sound but you may not like the look.
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
Re: Re: Throaty

Poseidon said:

I would suggest a 2-1 for Power and sound but you may not like the look.
Yep, I've seen several baggers with a 2 in 1 style pipe, can't say that I'm enthusiastic about the look. The new Reinhardt's by BUB look promising, a few members here are checking them out.

wyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
Your dealer shouldn't void your warranty...but this is something that you have to get a feel for. The dealer's I have dealt with have not tried this crap over modifications...and let me tell you I have had plenty of warranty issues on another bike.

Chuck if you want more sound and power try welding a plug in the crossover pipe, I have seen this done several times. I don't think any of the HD SE slip-ons produce the sound or power that we desire. And another thing to remember the dealers PUSH the SE parts first because it affects their alotments.

The V&H slip on sound pretty good and I think you can tune the baffle. Thunderheader makes a slick dual system for baggers that sounds great ,one side is a falsie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
fulldraw said:
Your dealer shouldn't void your warranty...but this is something that you have to get a feel for. The dealer's I have dealt with have not tried this crap over modifications...and let me tell you I have had plenty of warranty issues on another bike.

Chuck if you want more sound and power try welding a plug in the crossover pipe, I have seen this done several times. I don't think any of the HD SE slip-ons produce the sound or power that we desire. And another thing to remember the dealers PUSH the SE parts first because it affects their alotments.

The V&H slip on sound pretty good and I think you can tune the baffle. Thunderheader makes a slick dual system for baggers that sounds great ,one side is a falsie!
Fulldraw are you following me? :cool: I don't have much experience with exhaust for baggers so I think it would help if you told us what you were looking for? Power, sound, what?

later
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More of a deeper H-D sound without too much of a power loss. I am also thinking of a stage 1 at the same time, so that may negate any loss in power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
I got the V&H slash cut slip-ons with the billet end caps love the look,sound (nice and deep)and good performance but not too loud.

My bike has the stage 1 and a carb you may want to get your stage 1 done first. Your FI might lean out not sure, could be ok as long as you don't change the air cleaner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
chuckfw,
Where are you in Texas? If the 'fw' means Fort Worth or you are close to the DFW area, let me know. I just installed D & D Fat Cat 2:1 with a left ghost pipe on my 2002 RKC. I like the look, and the system maintains the dual exhaust look of the touring bikes. The chrome looks really good. Large diameter slash cut ends look good to me, as well. They are loud. Not bad creeping through the neighborhood. But, crank the throttle and people will know you are coming.

As for performance, the first time I really jumped on the throttle, felt like I was going to lift the front end off the ground. It felt like the first time all over again.

Anyway, if you would like to take a look and listen, I'd be glad to hook up with you some day. Besides I'd love to see that purple bike in person.

PS I'll post some pics later today.
 

·
Renegade
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
chuckfw said:
More of a deeper H-D sound without too much of a power loss. I am also thinking of a stage 1 at the same time, so that may negate any loss in power.
I went through two different sets of SE pipes before getting a pair of the new Vance & Hines Basic slip-ons. Not too expensive, no noticable power loss from the SE's, excellent fit and finish, and awesome sound. Not loud enough to be totally obnoxious, but a nice deep rumble at idle and cruise, and a nasty growl when twisted.

I'm running total Stage I on an '01 Road Glide with a PCII.

If you can stand to wait, listen to other guy's bikes. When you hear what you like, talk to them and find out how they like what they have, how much they paid, etc.

No teacher like experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Still say it is hard to beat Thunderheader slipons. For performance and sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
I have the Samson Rolled Thunder Oval with Stage I breather. I really like the sound & look. Deep throaty kind of sound. I'd say before you make a decision, look & listen to as many types as you can. It's pretty much a matter of personal preference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, good idea you guys, I'll listen to them all. Everyone meet me at the new H-D stealer on the West side of Fort Worth some decent warm day. I'll buy the drinks and we can all judge your sounds together! LOL, Hell of a idea!
MarkBrad, let's do it some day. Have you been to the above dealer on Hwy. 820 yet? If we get a warm day, we can meet there and then ride up to the dealer in Denton if you want. Just to check out their goodies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
chuckfw,
I'm in! Yes, I've been to the new dealer location on 820. I'd be glad to meet there. Never been to the one in Denton. I need another place to spend my money. So, let's go. Get in touch when the weather forecast looks good.
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
C'mon guys keep the ridin in January comments to yourselves it is -13 this morning in central WI. :mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posidon,
Damn, we know what cold is. It way down to 43 this morning and is only going to get up to the 50s today!!! If we pull through this terrible cold snap, we will ride and think about you up there in Wisconson. LOL

Hey Mark, maybe we can go out to Lake Benbrook and watch the girls swim? ROFLMAO
 

·
Road Captain
Joined
·
6,628 Posts
Hey chickfw, get up off the damn floor, that sh(t aint funny:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, we told you guys to "come on down"!!

Hop on your hog, Hogg and ride down with 'DaAlien.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
I would love to "hop on" however I would need to trailer my bike at least 500 miles as the salt, yes NaCl (I was a chemist) is a 1/4 inch thick on the roads. Does nasty things to chrome!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But it's great stuff when put around the rim of a margarita glass! That's what I'm offering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
If you just want slip on's for your Bagger check out the Bassani slip on mufflers. They are the deepest sounding I have heard. Plus the baffle is removable so you can take out the fiberglass packing or alter the baffle. Also Bassani makes baffles in 2" and 3" cores.
I have had the Samson Rolled Thunder Oval and now the Bassani. Both sounded good in there own way and had about the same performance.
Mike
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top