V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 FXSTI (107ci) is getting long in tooth and it's time to upgrade. For a few months I've been looking around on Cycletrader, eBay, FB marketplace, etc for 2019 or 2020 RG Specials with <5K miles. There's quite a few out there - some with less than 1K miles in the range of $23K to $26K. Knowing a new one is closer to $30K that's a pretty good savings. I've always done my own wrenching and rarely count on a dealer for any of my vehicles but having a factory warranty for the first couple of years is piece of mind. I would never consider extended warranty. I've read about some folks having issues with the earlier M8 models (sumping and oil pumps) but it sounds like by 2019 they got it figured out and it's not likely to be an issue.

Questions...
1. Would you consider saving $5K or so on a slightly used 2019/2020 M8 114 that's basically new but with a shorter warranty?
2. Aside from being a year newer and having more warranty, reliability-wise is there any benefit of 2020 over 2019 M8 114? Far as I can see there's minimal difference besides some cosmetics.
3. I found a 2019 RG Special with Stage III (117) and <5K miles. Any concerns regarding this mod or should I pass and stick with the 114?

·
Super Moderator
20,199 Posts
I would find a dealer with a new 2019 and offer them 25K for it. They are pretty much toeing the company line and asking 27900 for them at the moment. But they were taking 25k-26K for them 6 months ago.

With that said, find a dealer with a lot of scooters in inventory. Floor plans cost money every month so they are loath to just hold scooters when their plan is large. Little dealers are worried about when their next scooters will arrive, so they are trying to max out the profits on the few they still have.

Pretty much any private sale you find on a 19 will be a PITA, as there is going to be a loan on it. So either you need a lot of trust, or will have to pay an agent to do the transaction. Some banks will act as an agent for their customers for free, but they usually want to carry the new loan.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I wouldn't buy a year old trade in thats been modified with 5k miles. Something ain't right and it started happening about 4500 miles. Tinker tinker and 500 more miles. A good time to buy is August when the new year models come in. The economy is tanked and the future is uncertain for a lot of people and I think this year would be a good time to pay less than 25k.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Trying to temper the urgency so I'm in the drivers seat...fighting the 'buy NOW' urge and be patient is always a good strategy. Prices are all over the place, I checked dealers within 2-3 hours of me (I'm in New England so there's many). I just found a 2019 RG Special with 1300 miles at a dealer in Mass and they are asking $29,300! I told them I'm gonna keep looking and hung up.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Check out the dealer in Portland, Maine. I use to hang out there and would laugh at the customers trading their 1 yr old sporsters for something that looked good with a windshield or faring.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BIG MOOSE right? I lived in Portland for a few years and used to go in there. Riding a few thousand miles with those big-assed Maine bugs tends to reshape your views regarding windsheilds/fairings.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here in the St. Louis area, I can find 2019 Rodglide Ultras at $25,000 or less.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did a handshake on a 2019 RG Special for $24K...private seller, 1800 miles, all black, you can tell it has not been abused, like new. Warranty good until next April.

He financed through HD and I just found out they have a 'Rider to Rider' program where you meet at dealer and they transfer title/warranty/etc.

Anyone ever done this? Seems like it would make the transition simpler with only one bank to deal with but I'm not going there if they have crap rates. I already got prelim approval at my Credit Union for a good rate but the Rider to Rider thing may be worth checking out.

Reactions: Slingshot383

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Just did a handshake on a 2019 RG Special for $24K...private seller, 1800 miles, all black, you can tell it has not been abused, like new. Warranty good until next April.

He financed through HD and I just found out they have a 'Rider to Rider' program where you meet at dealer and they transfer title/warranty/etc.

Anyone ever done this? Seems like it would make the transition simpler with only one bank to deal with but I'm not going there if they have crap rates. I already got prelim approval at my Credit Union for a good rate but the Rider to Rider thing may be worth checking out.
I would go with the credit union.2¢

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For anyone wondering about the Rider to Rider program it's total BS...don't waste your time. I followed the HD website guidance, got pre-approved and scheduled meeting with local dealer. No surprise, my credit union loan rate was better. It also would require the seller (who is 90 miles away in another state) to drop off bike to have it inspected. This is a 1 year old bike with 1,800 miles that I already inspected before I made the offer. Then it would be 3-4 WEEKS before they would get title to me.

So what's the benefit? Higher rate, no 'quick turnaround', and the added hassle of their inspection on a 'like new' bike that I know needs nothing. The dealer was more focused on getting me to change my mind and buy something direct from them...it was a short discussion and I was out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts