V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the SEII slip-ons (80258-99A) and am planning on installing them on my non-modified Street Bob this weekend. It has 350 miles on it. I have a couple of questions for those who've done it (JamieWG and Azrider, especially)...

1) Did you use new clamps?
2) Did you use the rivets?
3) Did you use a torque wrench?

I'm trying to save a little money here by doing it myself, however, if I need to go buy a torque wrench and rivet tool, it may just be easier to pay the $70 labor. Plus it run less chance of nullifying my warranty.

Whiff

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
False Sense of Security

Whiffleboy said:
Just picked up the SEII slip-ons (80258-99A) and am planning on installing them on my non-modified Street Bob this weekend. It has 350 miles on it. I have a couple of questions for those who've done it (JamieWG and Azrider, especially)...

I'm trying to save a little money here by doing it myself, however, if I need to go buy a torque wrench and rivet tool, it may just be easier to pay the $70 labor. Plus it run less chance of nullifying my warranty.

Whiff
Do you REALLY think a dealership tech will use a decent torque wrench?
When I recently worked at a HD dealership (in Parts), most of the service techs were still using 1 - 35 to 250 foot-pound 1/2" drive torque wrench. The service manager also told me they almost never replace the muffler clamp or used any rivets. Not very confidence-inspiring.

So, when it came time to do some 'real' work on my bikes, I broke down and bought 2 SnapOn torque wrenches to add to my collection of tools (a 1/4" 10-50 inch-pound one and a 3/8" 30 to 200 inch pounds.) They were @ $250 each. An still-needed 1/2" 10 to 50 foot-pound wrench (plugs are 12 to 18 foot pounds) is $250. Maybe Santa will hear my plea. I already have a 1/2" 35 to 250 foot-pound engine-building wrench.

That makes the total over $1000 for the basic torque wrenches you need to properly work on a modern HD! I wonder if the entry-level tech who will install your SE slip-ons has spent that kind of money yet?

I realize it costs a lot of money, but the bottom line is you will get to know your bike better and you can be sure it is worked on properly if you do it yourself, so maybe you should begin now to make an investment in decent tools. Sort of like a quality helmet and a set of heavy leathers with armor in the knees, elbows and shoulders. Good insurance.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Whiffleboy said:

Whiff
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

I didn't feel like pulling the old clamps off the stock mufflers, so I used the new ones. I bought mine used, so I never got any rivets. I just cranked them down good and tight. On something like this, a certain torque setting wasn't important to me. Nothing is gonna warp, no gaskets are involved and nothing is going to strip out. Just crank it good and tight and you'll be all set. Let me know how you like them. If it feels flat and sounds crappy from about 2000 rpms and up, you need to go get the EFI flashed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
No, used existing clamps.

No.

No, used a craftsman socket until it felt right. :)

Hope you like the SEII's as much as I do. Best wishes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
azrider said:
No, used existing clamps.

No.

No, used a craftsman socket until it felt right. :)

Hope you like the SEII's as much as I do. Best wishes.
Same thing here. No rivets in my package or new clamps. Besides is a new bike so basicly/realistickly they are new clamps. No torque wrench used though I do have them. It is a exhaust clamp not torque important tight is important. Have a good one.

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Test in the morning

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I installed them tonight without much of a hitch. The bottom pipe took a little effort to wiggle off and I had to take the pliers to one of the flanged tips of the new top muffler to get it on since it was slightly less than perfectly round. Hopefully, everything's tightened enough. I have a penchant for snapping bolts so I was firm but careful using just a plain ratchet. I don't want to see them in my rear view mirror.:huh:

It's getting late so I'll wheel it out tomorrow morning to see 1) how they sound and 2) give the performance of the bike a once-over.

Again, much appreciation for the help.

Whiffleboy

·
Registered
106 Posts
I installed the SEII slip-ons at 1k miles I now have over 6k miles on the bike. No issues of runability from sea level to mountains in Colorado. You will be fine and you will notice a big difference in sound from stock. Enjoy your ride man.

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, hell yeah...

That's more like it! Took it for a 20 mile run. I didn't notice anything different performance wise. No popping, no lagging, no cut outs or anything. I could be wrong, but, I think the engine seemed to run cooler than before. The engine crackled alot less after shutting it down. Don't know if that means anything or not. Regardless, it sounds like a Harley now instead of a 79 VW Bus. And that's a good thing. :(-

I'll keep an eye on it over the next week as I put it back in traffic on my commute to work. My ears are more familiar with the bike in that situation.

Whiff

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow Up

It's been about 100 miles now so I have a better idea of how things are running with the SEIIs (without A/C and flash). Here's what I notice:
  • It has popped a handful of times on deceleration. But we're talking single-instance pops, not a whole series of pops - if that makes sense. Usually while the engine is cooler.
  • Haven't noticed a backfire.
  • Seems to have more power in first gear from a dead stop. Torque?
  • Counter that with a "flat spot" about halfway through the RPM range. It's subtle, but, I do notice it. It makes it over that hump eventually.
  • I personally think it runs cooler. But there are alot of factors that could be involved with that perception.
I'm beginning to believe you can get by with just the non-legal slip-ons and no flash. However, I don't think it's running the best it could be. I've saved my stock mufflers to put on should something go wrong and I need to bring it in.

What do you think?

Whiffleboy

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
I

I'm beginning to believe you can get by with just the non-legal slip-ons and no flash. However, I don't think it's running the best it could be. I've saved my stock mufflers to put on should something go wrong and I need to bring it in.

What do you think?

Whiffleboy
I felt exactly the same way. The bike ran good, but it wasn't perfect. I had the flash done and it was a big improvement. A lot of people knock the download, but I'm glad I had it done. My bike runs perfect and sounds a lot better too. I'm still running the stock AC, and from I've been told, it will run even better once I upgrade that.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I put those slip-ons on mine about 1k miles ago. Bought them new from the dealer. The instructions said to be sure and wipe them down after installation so as to remove any skin oils you might have left on them; said the oils would be burned into the finish if you didn't. So, after installing them, I washed the entire bike including the new mufflers with a car wash soap and water. Then after riding for about 29 miles, came home and found something is burned into the bottom muffler. Maybe the car-wash soap, I dunno, but it won't wipe off.

Oh, yeah, I used the old clamps, didn't torque them and I threw the rivets into my shop cabinet.

I like the sound a lot better than I had with the stocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts