V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and friends think I am nuts and I'm starting to think they are right. Three years ago I bought a new 1200 Sportster after not riding for almost fifteen years, kept it one season and sold it. The next spring (last year) I bought a 2005 Fatboy, drove it all spring and summer and sold it in October. Now I tell my wife that I want to get a Road King this spring and she looks at me like I am crazy. I have no idea why I keep buying bikes and selling them after one riding season. Help me out guys what the hell is the matter with me.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
You like to buy new items and sell things at a loss is one thing wrong with you. :)

Can you not decide what bike you really want?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a pretty big gambler and my bankroll for betting was a little lite last year so I sold the Fatboy to a good friend to raise some $$$. Won a little cash this year again and now I'm getting the riding itch again.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
It doesn't sound like a good financial plan for the future there...
I have to agree with Fatboy, you are killing yourself with these yearly trades, but if that's your thing, who am I to argue.

I don't see myself selling my 06' for at least 5 years, or until something incredible comes along.
That's the beauty of a Harley, the model year never matters, it's the uniqueness of the bike itself.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
George C said:
It doesn't sound like a good financial plan for the future there...
I have to agree with Fatboy, you are killing yourself with these yearly trades, but if that's your thing, who am I to argue.

I don't see myself selling my 06' for at least 5 years, or until something incredible comes along.
That's the beauty of a Harley, the model year never matters, it's the uniqueness of the bike itself.

I would have to agree:whisper:

If ya keep losin and winning you better save up for a good divorce lawyer.
But you could always sell the bike:unsure:

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Sounds like you haven't found the perfect bike yet. Maybe you should go test drive a few before you buy something else.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Cuz you ain't tried a Road Glide yet. Try one of them then you will be done. :cheers:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Wow lots of money. Its not cheap to keep selling. Not to mention you don't get back what you put in.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Dave1200C said:
My family and friends think I am nuts and I'm starting to think they are right. Three years ago I bought a new 1200 Sportster after not riding for almost fifteen years, kept it one season and sold it. The next spring (last year) I bought a 2005 Fatboy, drove it all spring and summer and sold it in October. Now I tell my wife that I want to get a Road King this spring and she looks at me like I am crazy. I have no idea why I keep buying bikes and selling them after one riding season. Help me out guys what the hell is the matter with me.

It's your cash bud, do what makes you happy, and if there's a way you can write off the loses -- all the better.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
I'll loan you my bike each year for 3 grand a year, this way you don't have to come up with 15K every year.

What's more important to you, gambling or riding? I'd rather ride, I gamble enough when I hit the road with all those CAGERS!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Aha, I've had seven new bikes in the last two years... an illness by friends say. My wife's taken a keen interest in the "Intervention" show. Three are Hd/Buell. Down to two now. I'm just having fun.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
What does your RK look like, I might be interested in picking up a slightly used one for the right price. :brows:

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
miles to go said:
Sounds like you haven't found the perfect bike yet. Maybe you should go test drive a few before you buy something else.
I agree. When you hit it, you won't be able to part with it.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Dave1200C said:
I am a pretty big gambler and my bankroll for betting was a little lite last year so I sold the Fatboy to a good friend to raise some $$$. Won a little cash this year again and now I'm getting the riding itch again.
I totally understand. Not sure I can explain it so others will understand it or not but I'l give it a go.
When you gamble alot and especially if you gamble higher than casual stakes, you often times end up with ALOT of cash. This is what you call your bankroll. Your entire bankroll can be up for grabs at any time. This is the most liquid of assets. When you are on a roll and your bankroll gets large, the best way to protect your bankroll from being played back and possibly lost in one night of insanity, is to buy some type of liquid asset. Like a new Harley for example(use to be corvettes for me a long time ago...). If you later find your bankroll dwindling from either over spending or from losses, you have a liquid assets you can liquidate and still be in action(in action is a gambling term which means playing, gambling, betting, in action...). With something like a HD, it may take a few days to liquidate. If you've been on a losing streak, these couple of days can also act as a "cooling off" period, a time to get a little perspective.

All Dave1200C is doing is what gamblers have done since the beginning of time. Perserving a portion of their bankroll in something that gives them comfort and happiness but is in reality still part of their bankroll. Over the years I have known alot of guys that used different and actually Dave is the first one I have heard of who does this with harleys although, I am sure the HD's arent the only thing he does this with. I've seen guys use stocks, cars, jewlry, property, guns, drugs and other things in much the sane way. What you guys don't get is that Dave couldn't care less how much he lost on the resale of those bikes, he got a whole season of riding out of each and had the cash to get back in action when he needed it.
This isn't the best explanation of this process, but it's one of those things that you really don't wanna learn to much about....TRUST ME! Those can be awfully expensive lessons.....:D

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
This man is just going through the natural refinement process of finally arriving at where we all eventually end up...on a touring bike! He is just getting there faster than most:clap:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
adlerx said:
I totally understand. Not sure I can explain it so others will understand it or not but I'l give it a go.
When you gamble alot and especially if you gamble higher than casual stakes, you often times end up with ALOT of cash. This is what you call your bankroll. Your entire bankroll can be up for grabs at any time. This is the most liquid of assets. When you are on a roll and your bankroll gets large, the best way to protect your bankroll from being played back and possibly lost in one night of insanity, is to buy some type of liquid asset. Like a new Harley for example(use to be corvettes for me a long time ago...). If you later find your bankroll dwindling from either over spending or from losses, you have a liquid assets you can liquidate and still be in action(in action is a gambling term which means playing, gambling, betting, in action...). With something like a HD, it may take a few days to liquidate. If you've been on a losing streak, these couple of days can also act as a "cooling off" period, a time to get a little perspective.

All Dave1200C is doing is what gamblers have done since the beginning of time. Perserving a portion of their bankroll in something that gives them comfort and happiness but is in reality still part of their bankroll. Over the years I have known alot of guys that used different and actually Dave is the first one I have heard of who does this with harleys although, I am sure the HD's arent the only thing he does this with. I've seen guys use stocks, cars, jewlry, property, guns, drugs and other things in much the sane way. What you guys don't get is that Dave couldn't care less how much he lost on the resale of those bikes, he got a whole season of riding out of each and had the cash to get back in action when he needed it.
This isn't the best explanation of this process, but it's one of those things that you really don't wanna learn to much about....TRUST ME! Those can be awfully expensive lessons.....:D

Hmmm....
Preserving the bankroll...
I always thought that this was what a savings account was for..
I guess this is "gamblespeak" and I really don't know a thing about that..
Thank God.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Sounds like you have deeper problems than deciding which bike to buy. Having a "bankroll" is one thing. That is gambeling assets. But when you are selling possesions (at a loss) to get back in the game, you need to step back and re-evaluate your actions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
adlerx said:

Oh my that is exactly what I do. You nailed it. I have to print this out and give it to my wife. You should be a shrink!!

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I can relate your problems, I did almost the same thing just quicker. In July 04 I bought a new 04 XL883 put 3k miles on it between July and September when I bought a 05 EG Classic because the Sporty was just to small. I road the Classic for 9k miles between September 04 and September 05 when I took delivery of my 06 Ultra. Kept the guys at work guessing what I was going to up to next. The wife was fine with it because she just loves to ride, she realy likes the Ultra.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Hope things keep going your way and you can do it again next year. I am sure others are benefitting from this too !!! Hope your luck holds out. One question is the Harley the only thing you do this with ????

1 - 20 of 53 Posts