V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 Dynas have been redesigned and they require a 15,000 inner primary bearing inspection paid for by Harley Davidson. Here's the form the owner signs.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
This information seems to address issues on the 2006 Dyna. Which begs a few questions.

Is this a major design flaw in Dynas?
If so, why does this cover only 2006 Dynas?
If this is a problem for 2006 Dynas only, why doesn't my 2004 Dyna need the service?
If my 2004 Dyna does need the service for the same problem, why isn't it covered under the same plan?
Why is this manager/biker writing on pink paper?

I'm confused.

·
Banned
249 Posts
i beleave the assembly order has changed,causing the pri chain to be located farther away from the cases,this puts more of a load on the bearing

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
crash1292 said:
i beleave the assembly order has changed,causing the pri chain to be located farther away from the cases,this puts more of a load on the bearing
@gree: .

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Harley doesn't know yet, that's why they want to monitor it.
Because the 2006 Dyna engine, primary and transmission are new designs.
If this is a problem for 2006 Dynas only, why doesn't my 2004 Dyna need the service?
If my 2004 Dyna does need the service for the same problem, why isn't it covered under the same plan?
Because Dynas are girls bikes.
I'm confused.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Man, this is just sad. What a joke.^rolleyez^

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:duh?: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Thats only once every 15 yrs for some folks, no big deal.:hystria:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I have an '06 Dyna and I don't see a problem with this. Harley is being up front about it. I knew about it before I ever bought the bike. Never thought it was a hoax. It's just an ammendment to the owner's manual. It says right there -

"Harley Davidson has preliminarily determined that the inner primary bearing on your 2006 Dyna motorcycle will require replacement at 15,000 mile intervals."

It also needs oil changes, filters, tires, various lubes, cables, spark plugs, a drive belt and a bunch of other stuff at various intervals. The difference is, this bearing is on their dime. I ride about 15,000 miles a year, so this time next year, my bike will get the service. If the HD dealer is booked up, there are a bunch of HD certified indy shops nearby. They let you know before you buy. If for some reason you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Some will say that it's nice the MoCo is being right up front and honest about needing to replace/repair the bearing. My opinion is don't release a new design until IT'S BEEN THOROUGHLY TESTED!!! I don't feel like being a beta tester for their new designs. (Of course I'd take the job if they PAID me to do it!) Get it right, then release it for cryin' out loud.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Harley won't absorb this cost for long. They will monitor the situation and if it poses to be a problem, they will come up with a correction. When it's on our dime (Evo base gaskets), problem may eventually be fixed or left to after market. When it's on the corporate dime I forsee a permanent repair in my crystal ball!

It may prove to not even be a problem, as this is only a monitoring to see how the bearing holds up to the extra stresses the longer shaft puts on it. It may hold up fine, or just require a heavy duty Timkin type bearing. It's fixable!!

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Some will say that it's nice the MoCo is being right up front and honest about needing to replace/repair the bearing. My opinion is don't release a new design until IT'S BEEN THOROUGHLY TESTED!!! I don't feel like being a beta tester for their new designs. (Of course I'd take the job if they PAID me to do it!) Get it right, then release it for cryin' out loud.
Where do you get the idea that this is beta testing? They tell you up front that the bearing needs to be replaced every 15,000 miles. They don't say it might need to be replaced, or that it needs to be inspected, or that they are hoping everything will be fine... the wording is very clear - It needs to be replaced. It looks to me like they've already done the testing and they decided that the part has a 15,000 mile lifespan.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I feel sorry for people buying these bikes used in the next year or two. Even though it's not on their dime, the issue will certainly be a surprise. And a big PITA. Especially when the salesman or owner/seller doesn't inform them of the service procedure. I'd be one mad sob if that bearing decided to take a dump at 4,000 miles from home and then I find out it's some sort of cinnamon coated turd with a BS Harley service bulletin to make the medicine go down better. Crap is crap!

Yank the damn bike till you tested it thoroughly! There must be some engineer offspring from the AMF days getting jobs there now.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
timbo said:
I feel sorry for people buying these bikes used in the next year or two. Even though it's not on their dime, the issue will certainly be a surprise. And a big PITA. Especially when the salesman or owner/seller doesn't inform them of the service procedure. I'd be one mad sob if that bearing decided to take a dump at 4,000 miles from home and then I find out it's some sort of cinnamon coated turd with a BS Harley service bulletin to make the medicine go down better. Crap is crap! .
What about the people who bought the '04s with the bad valve seals? Or how about the people with the '00s who got the bad cam bearing? The list could go on and on. Not being argumentative here, just not understanding the big deal over this. The service is free. It's free for the life of the bike. You could probably pick any year of HD and find some type of issue, whether it be a bad gasket, a bearing or something else. They're still great bikes. HD may find a permanent fix, or this may become a standard required service on future bikes. Only time will tell.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
The Tourist said:
This information seems to address issues on the 2006 Dyna. Which begs a few questions.

I'm confused.
This only concerns the 2006 Dynas. These machines were fitted with the new six-speed direct drive transmission. They have higher primary gearing to match the ratios in the transmisison. They moved the chain and both sprockets outside to make everything fit and now there is so much strain on the primary sprocket that they recommend changing it every 15K miles.

Great marketing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. That's my amendment posted that I had to sign when I picked up my bike. So I take it in at 15,000 so they can check the bearing. The put a new one in and analyze the one they replaced. Big deal.

I don't feel like a "beta tester" and I'm the one that owns and rides it.

Also be aware that it states in the amendment that the service interval can change. I'm sure if they see no significant wear that they would extend the mileage between inspections.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
JamieWG said:
Where do you get the idea that this is beta testing? They tell you up front that the bearing needs to be replaced every 15,000 miles. They don't say it might need to be replaced, or that it needs to be inspected, or that they are hoping everything will be fine... the wording is very clear - It needs to be replaced. It looks to me like they've already done the testing and they decided that the part has a 15,000 mile lifespan.
Nobody...Not Harley..nor Honda..nor Briggs and Stratton...would design or use a bearing for that purpose with a 15,000 mile life span. they frankly dont know how long they will last...they obviously figure at least 15,000. So when they look at a couple thousand, they may make a change or may see no need to continue the free replacement. That is Beta testing. Makes sense why they released the new design in the lowest selling twin cam line. Costs will be less for the beta testing...and the bite in the A** wont hurt as much if they start failing before 15,000.
See , if the best they could do was a 15,000 mile bearing, And it was across the model line..I dont see Harley replacing bearings on 350,000 motorcyles for free every 15,000 miles.
Yes, they are up front about it. If it doesnt bother you then that is a good thing ..its your money and your bike, Beta testing can be a good thing.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
SYCLONE said:
Nobody...Not Harley..nor Honda..nor Briggs and Stratton...would design or use a bearing for that purpose with a 15,000 mile life span. they frankly dont know how long they will last...they obviously figure at least 15,000. So when they look at a couple thousand, they may make a change or may see no need to continue the free replacement. That is Beta testing. Makes sense why they released the new design in the lowest selling twin cam line. Costs will be less for the beta testing...and the bite in the A** wont hurt as much if they start failing before 15,000.
See , if the best they could do was a 15,000 mile bearing, And it was across the model line..I dont see Harley replacing bearings on 350,000 motorcyles for free every 15,000 miles.
Yes, they are up front about it. If it doesnt bother you then that is a good thing ..its your money and your bike, Beta testing can be a good thing.
"Nobody.. not Harley... etc.." "If the best they could do was a 15,000 mile bearing..."

From what I see, that's exactly what Harley has done. And for whatever the reason, the bearing has to be replaced every 15,000 miles... correct or not? Looks to me that right now, that is the best they can do. They are telling you about it BEFORE you buy the bike. If you don't like it, you can go buy a Honda. When the cam bearings started failing on '00 models at 60,000 miles, people said HD should have known... HD should have warned us. Well now that they are, and they are taking a preventive measure on these new bikes, some people are still complaining.... and it's mostly people who don't even own an '06 Dyna model.

Someone mentioned future owners of used bikes... The one thing I do fault them for is the lousy owner's manual. This information should have been included in the required service interval chart. The owner's manual is full of glaring mistakes and it should be replaced, or else every owner of an '06 Dyna should receive a free service manual.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
There was an "Initial Care Program" for the rubber-mount sporties when they first came out. Among other things, that's how the god-awful gas-tank stip problem was identified and corrected. Don't think there's a conspiracy here ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts