V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the late '60's, a high school friend had an old Sears Allstate 106 single cylinder bike. I learned to ride on it, street, dirt, even in the snow. (damn miracle we didn't get killed on the damn thing)

Bout '75, I bought a Yamaha 175 Enduro, rode that everywhere too.

In '78, my wife, (my first ex), traded the 175 for a brand new Yamaha 650 Special. The special was the japs first 'cruiser' bike. I called my dad, a retired HD motor cop, and told him I had a new motorcycle. I rode it to his house, and he came outside, lookin over the Yamaha like he was looking for something. I asked him what he thought and he said, "Where's your motorcycle?" I pointed at it and he said, "That's not a REAL motorcycle!" Six months later, me and the soon to be 1st ex, split the sheets. (I figured she left cause I hadn't got killed on the Yamaha) Anyway, I kinda thought it sorta looked like a HD, even drilled out the pipes trying to get that 'rumble.'

Fast forward to 4 years ago, when I bought my '93 1200 Sportster. My dad was workin at a local hardware store. I didn't tell him I'd bought it, I just rode it over to show it to him. He heard that familiar 'rumble' and came outside to check out the HD. He saw it was me on it and said, "I see you FINALLY got a REAL motorcycle!"

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome aboard, Malfunction! I'm curious to know which do you like better the HD or the Yamaha? I started out on a Honda and now have a 1979 Low Rider and I just love it, can't get enough of it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Malfunction!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yamaha?

Yamaha? What Yamaha? Oh yeah, those I had back in the '70's. No way to compare them with my HD. Plus, my dad would kill me if I ever bought another one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts