V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this article explains how a national guard soldier gets screwed by our

government. Is there a senator whose not loking for sex in public

restrooms available to rectify this gross injustice?
[/QNational Guard Troops Denied Benefits After Longest Deployment Of Iraq War

Rhonda Erskine, Online Content Producer
Created: 10/3/2007 2:39:29 PM
Updated: 10/3/2007 5:32:02 PM
MINNEAPOLIS, MN (NBC) -- When they came home from Iraq, 2,600 members of the Minnesota National Guard had been deployed longer than any other ground combat unit. The tour lasted 22 months and had been extended as part of President Bush's surge.

1st Lt. Jon Anderson said he never expected to come home to this: A government refusing to pay education benefits he says he should have earned under the GI bill.

"It's pretty much a slap in the face," Anderson said. "I think it was a scheme to save money, personally. I think it was a leadership failure by the senior Washington leadership... once again failing the soldiers."

Anderson's orders, and the orders of 1,161 other Minnesota guard members, were written for 729 days.

Had they been written for 730 days, just one day more, the soldiers would receive those benefits to pay for school.

"Which would be allowing the soldiers an extra $500 to $800 a month," Anderson said.

That money would help him pay for his master's degree in public administration. It would help Anderson's fellow platoon leader, John Hobot, pay for a degree in law enforcement.

"I would assume, and I would hope, that when I get back from a deployment of 22 months, my senior leadership in Washington, the leadership that extended us in the first place, would take care of us once we got home," Hobot said.

Both Hobot and Anderson believe the Pentagon deliberately wrote orders for 729 days instead of 730. Now, six of Minnesota's members of the House of Representatives have asked the Secretary of the Army to look into it -- So have Senators Amy Klobuchar and Norm Coleman.

Klobuchar said the GI money "shouldn't be tied up in red tape," and Coleman said it's "simply irresponsible to deny education benefits to those soldiers who just completed the longest tour of duty of any unit in Iraq."

Anderson said the soldiers he oversaw in his platoon expected that money to be here when they come home.

"I had 23 guys under my command," Anderson said. "I promised to take care of them. And I'm not going to end taking care of them when this deployment is over, and it's not over until this is solved."

The Army did not respond questions Tuesday afternoon.

Senators Klobuchar and Coleman released a joint statement saying the Army secretary, Pete Geren, is looking into this personally, and they say Geren asked a review board to expedite its review so the matter could be solved by next semester.

Minnesota National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Kevin Olson said the soldiers are "victims of a significant injustice."

UOTE]

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
That really blows :badmood: ...but ya know we gotta scrimp here and there to fund the war {salute(

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
un freakin real

by the way,

W says we got more money to give mexico for the drug war:nope:

how the hell they will not fix this fast? the country will never get enough

volunteers if this crap doesn't stop, NOW:gun:

you know swnmkdnthervr, issues like this are what the drive by media should be giving the third

degree about. not wasting time with bogus issues

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
knuckleheader said:
by the way,

W says we got more money to give mexico for the drug war:nope:

how the hell they will not fix this fast? the country will never get enough

volunteers if this crap doesn't stop, NOW:gun:

you know swnmkdnthervr, issues like this are what the drive by media should be giving the third

That extra money should go towards building a secure fence and border patrols.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
it must be Clinton's fault.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
knuckleheader said:

Agreed...but it don't sell soap or cars...ya know, if we wrote the networks AND our representatives...might be a double edged sword...:hmmm:...geez, and I wasn't even smoking anything!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
IMHO the guard guys get shafted from the moment they talk to a recruiter. Alot of these guys singed up for painball on the weekends and college money. Not getting blown up in Iraq.

We don't get short tours for 6 month deployments any more. I know some of you retired guys remember those days. I guess that's why we defend the freedoms instead of posessing them.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
geno2w1 said:
IMHO the guard guys get shafted from the moment they talk to a recruiter. Alot of these guys singed up for painball on the weekends and college money. Not getting blown up in Iraq.
I couldn't disagree more. I enlisted in the National Guard as junior in high school, and had just turned 17. I knew what I was doing and I knew it wasn't joining a paintpball club. Furthermore, the National Guard are predominantly combat arms branches- infantry, artillery, armor, etc. If you enlist to be an infantryman, an artilleryman, or a tanker and it doesn't register in your brain housing group thay Army is training you for combat, well then you're an idiot. So while they may have joined for college money, etc., they absolutely knew what they could be called on to do.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
HiAngle, even if they signed up knowing about combat that still doesn't make it right that they are intentionally getting screwed by their own government.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Nothin' new to GIs gettin' shafted by the govt. Poke around a little on the net, history is replete with examples--check out Hooverville and Douglas MacArthur for a particularly gruesome example.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Fred1369 said:
HiAngle, even if they signed up knowing about combat that still doesn't make it right that they are intentionally getting screwed by their own government.

I wasn't commenting on what benefits they are/are not authorized. I was commenting on the fact that if somebody joins the Army National Guard and deploys to combat, they shouldn't be surprised nor should they piss and moan stating they enlisted to be an infantryman so they could get really good college benefits. When we start making Army National Guard units hurricane response units, flood response units, fire fighting units and take away their weapons and the rest of their Army equipment then we can all bitch about how we're using National Guard units for combat operations. Until then, it's a pointless argument because National Guard units are predominantly combat arms units.

It has been years since I was in the Guard ( I have been on active duty since 1993), but I do know that the rules between state's can be different. But it does appear as if this is at the federal level. It also appears as if it's getting looked into by the Sec of the Army. I am also willing to bet that there's more to this story than they are reporting.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
never get fixed

These guys have a problem that will never get fixed. While they got walked on by the system they are not the only ones to be affected. No-one is going to make a fix that will only deal with this group and the 729 day issue. It simply a mater of opening the worm jar. Any change would have to affect anyone who has served for 729 days. Then there will be an onslaught of those who served 728 days.

When these guys returned home it was possible to make an easy fix by keeping them active for another few days. While not connected to this situation there have been a number of Guard members who had a few days added to their tour when their transportation or medical issues required it.

Just another sad day to see our military volunteens get hosed by the system. I doubt the day count was not considered when the orders were cut. How many other Guard members have recieved the same orders? Unintentional my ass!

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kerry's pay back

toybox99615 said:
These guys have a problem that will never get fixed. While they got walked on by the system they are not the only ones to be affected. No-one is going to make a fix that will only deal with this group and the 729 day issue. It simply a mater of opening the worm jar. Any change would have to affect anyone who has served for 729 days. Then there will be an onslaught of those who served 728 days.

When these guys returned home it was possible to make an easy fix by keeping them active for another few days. While not connected to this situation there have been a number of Guard members who had a few days added to their tour when their transportation or medical issues required it.

Just another sad day to see our military volunteens get hosed by the system. I doubt the day count was not considered when the orders were cut. How many other Guard members have recieved the same orders? Unintentional my ass!
I've read more info on these soldiers from minnesota. Seems that they were

photographed in Iraq with a banner making fun of Kerry.

And denying them education benefits is payback:hmmm:

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
payback acquisition

knuckleheader said:
I've read more info on these soldiers from minnesota. Seems that they were

photographed in Iraq with a banner making fun of Kerry.

And denying them education benefits is payback:hmmm:
So your position is the only reason all these guys are getting orders that will eventually deny them benefits is becasue they did not support Kerry. I think you are trying to play a bit to much politics on this one knuckle. These guys were extended when? The Kerry picture incident happened when? Your belief is the military system is going to punish everyone in the Minnesota NG who is on deployment with this group because all the troops involved are anti-Kerry. A bit to much of a conspiracy theory for me to accept. So give us the inside information you used to come to your position/beliefs on this one.

I doubt these are the only NG troops to get caught in this kind of issue. Thousands of NG have been extended or called to serve a second or third time in Iraq. It would take one gigantic organized conspiracy to create a situation in which only the Minnesota NG troops would receive your implied political repercussions.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
toybox99615 said:
Unintentional my ass!
Ahhh, as usual, nothing but rhetoric from the hole beneath your nose. Bad policy, probably. But prove that policy was to intentionally screw NG Soldiers.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
The asshole that wrote the orders, or the asshole General Officer who is responsible for the policy of writing the orders for 729 days should have his ass handed to him along with his walking papers. There is a "policy of conspiracy" in the miltary about things like this. Anything to save the military money and fu*k the military man or woman. It's been the same with disability ratings for the Army......the officers get high numbers and the troops get Fuc*ed.....and that is in the record.

A 2 year deployment is unheard of in the modern military and I include Vietnam. I have been on 2, 12-month tours overseas....and multiple 6 month deployments, but never anything like a 24 month. Holy sh*t. Even the Navy, and they could give a sh*t less about families, has a max 18 month unaccompanied tour. (Don't mean to insult the Navy...but just because their recruiting posters and their "programs" talk family, doesn't mean the detailers don't crap on people at every turn)

729 days is NOT a "deployment"...it's a PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION in the regular forces. So, the NG gets a total shafting.

I just hope the Secretary of the Army steps up and whacks the sh*t out of those limp dic*s who were smiling about this...and then I hope he gets those guys the full education benefits they so overwhelmingly deserve.

I was so pissed off when I read this in the news.

Semper Fi,
Steve
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
toybox99615 said:

Regardless of the number of days....the entire issue here is the fact that the ARMY has a POLICY of fukking their soldiers. It is a planned, well thought out POLICY. You are exactly right Toybox....can bet your ass the "day count" was considered when the orders were cut.... People get PAID to come up with policies such as these.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
look into it

toybox99615 said:
So your position is the only reason all these guys are getting orders that will eventually deny them benefits is becasue they did not support Kerry. I think you are trying to play a bit to much politics on this one knuckle. These guys were extended when? The Kerry picture incident happened when? Your belief is the military system is going to punish everyone in the Minnesota NG who is on deployment with this group because all the troops involved are anti-Kerry. A bit to much of a conspiracy theory for me to accept. So give us the inside information you used to come to your position/beliefs on this one.

I doubt these are the only NG troops to get caught in this kind of issue. Thousands of NG have been extended or called to serve a second or third time in Iraq. It would take one gigantic organized conspiracy to create a situation in which only the Minnesota NG troops would receive your implied political repercussions.

for someone who freezes is arce off most of the time, I will go back and see

if I can post the picture and story of "THE BANNER"

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
steveusmc said:
Regardless of the number of days....the entire issue here is the fact that the ARMY has a POLICY of fukking their soldiers. .

Yup, it's not an issue of days, it's a matter of policy. BTW-- Soldiers is spelled with a capital "S".

1 - 20 of 51 Posts