V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy is trying to decide whether to use synthetic oil or not, so he asked a dealer what he thought and the dealer said not to use it. He said that the stuff is TO slippery and instead of a bearing rolling they will slide and creat a flat spot. But in the same breath he told my friend he was taking delivery of a bike with synthetic in it from the factory. Needless to say the dealer has my friend flam boozeled and will not be using synthetic, but instead he will stick with Harley oil to be safe. To each his own.

·
Registered
906 Posts
This was brought up some time ago and the links and posts were very informative...a quick search should bring them all back.

We also got into this discussion quite heavily in V-rod section.

-JJ

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
J&P Cycles website has a forum topic called 'Oil Again'. Last time I checked there were 402 posts there about synthetic vs. regular oil. The oil topic is almost as controversial as talking religion or politics(to some people).

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
sdeforest said:
A buddy is trying to decide whether to use synthetic oil or not, so he asked a dealer what he thought and the dealer said not to use it. He said that the stuff is TO slippery and instead of a bearing rolling they will slide and creat a flat spot. <snip>
I use dino. That being said, you should know that this dealer is telling out and out lies. Can you trust a dealer that lies to you? Hmmm.

The thread and topic has been beaten to dead. All over the Internet.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The dealer is full of BS. Like everyone said, the topic has been beat to death over the years.

Just a comment for everyone out there. I have yet to figure out the term "the dealer says". Is this the owner, a salesperson, the parts guy, the service manager or a tech that is trained?????? At a lot of dealers, there are not too many people there even qualified to offer that kind of advice. JMHO:D :D :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'll just return to my hole. I know oils are a beaten subject. This post wasn't meant to open another great oil discussion. Just pointiing out a comment made by a dealer that I thought sounded strange. I am no expert on the subject by any means, but the flat spot on a roller bearing seemed a bit much. I can see, ya'll, by your numerios posts your just weary of beating this dead horse.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As a fng, i havn't had to worry about this question before - however, when I picked up my bike at the dealer here, I had the opportunity to speak with the harley technician, and, upon posing this question, he advised that I NOT use synthetic oil, for the same reasons - too slippery - not good for the bearings. In fact he thought that harley was using a special addditive in thier oil to give it a bit of grit that would adhere a bit to the brearings.....go figure...

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
banjoman said:
In fact he thought that harley was using a special addditive in thier oil to give it a bit of grit that would adhere a bit to the brearings.....go figure...
Now there's a profound statement for a factory trained technician to make. Therefor a handfull of sand thrown in with the fresh oil is a good thing! He may have been attempting to explain a cling additive within his limited capabilities of articulation. Some of the techs at the dealerships are strictly limited to performing oil changes and simple bolt on accessory installation.

SS

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was at a performance seminar at the local dealer and the head mech said Harley will be coming out with something on synthetic oils soon, and that is all he would say, whatever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts