V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Frigin' Feds. Everybody get it in gear and write. Read the article and DO SOMETHING!!!!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
If this don't light a fire under your backside, you're riding an armchair in front of the TV. This gives us the ammunition; we need to start using it!

·
Sportster Aficionado
60 Posts
The Part II article in American Iron has a questionaire that will help the
Motorcycle Rights Foundation negotiate with the EPA on our behalf.
I made 10 copies for my friends and 8 have been mailed in already.
I suggest others follow suite.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C'mon guys, this is our last chance. It ain't gonna go away with out our help.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Well I've owned Harleys for six years now. To me and many others the fun of owning them is making them rumble like we want em too, and making them more powerful and faster than they are from production. Harleys are beautiful no doubt. But the fact is they are slugs from the factory. Harley better be on the ball designing an engine that is powerful and EPA compliant. Because if people aren't going to be able to modify their bikes in any way, exhaust, engine internals, intake, gearing etc why buy a Harley then? Looks only go so far.

Running the stock engine with only a Stage I, I can remember being loaded down with stuff riding 2up on my 04' Ultra on a trip to the Blueridge mtns and that SOB boggin' down like a fuggin' dog. Talk about no power! And me and the wife are lightweights too. What a joke. Then I had the 95",SE Heads, cams etc done not too much longer after we got back. Then we made a trip out west pullin' climbs like the Beartooth Pass in Montana. The difference in power was like night and day.

Technically, my bike with the current EPA regs is illegal. And I'd say so are about 95% of the Harleys out there. I can honestly say that if I knew that my next new Harley could not be modified in any way, especially if Harley doesn't start packing alot more power from a stock engine I'll be looking at some BMWs. Rag me if you want, but if I can't get some kind of performance, a good lookin bike ain't doin squat for me. I mean come on, what IS a Harley anyway without the sound and the ability to make engine mods to it?

So what can the average person like me do to stop or allow modifications to these new EPA rules? All I have seen so far is a form for aftermarket manufacturers to fill out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You hit it on the head Timbo. It shouldn't be the aftermarket on the phone to the EPA, it should be HD. Having a stock Harley is like having...oh well I can't think of anything worse...lol
Chris

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
HD doesn't want to build more powerful bikes, and they don't want you or the aftermarket/indy shop to be able to work on your bike either. Think about it.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
timbo said:
Well I've owned Harleys for six years now. To me and many others the fun of owning them is making them rumble like we want em too, and making them more powerful and faster than they are from production. Harleys are beautiful no doubt. But the fact is they are slugs from the factory. Harley better be on the ball designing an engine that is powerful and EPA compliant. Because if people aren't going to be able to modify their bikes in any way, exhaust, engine internals, intake, gearing etc why buy a Harley then? Looks only go so far.

Running the stock engine with only a Stage I, I can remember being loaded down with stuff riding 2up on my 04' Ultra on a trip to the Blueridge mtns and that SOB boggin' down like a fuggin' dog. Talk about no power! And me and h of my bikes so I am as guilty as anyone on that front, but the ones tthe wife are lightweights too. What a joke. Then I had the 95",SE Heads, cams etc done not too much longer after we got back. Then we made a trip out west pullin' climbs like the Beartooth Pass in Montana. The difference in power was like night and day.

Technically, my bike with the current EPA regs is illegal. And I'd say so are about 95% of the Harleys out there. I can honestly say that if I knew that my next new Harley could not be modified in any way, especially if Harley doesn't start packing alot more power from a stock engine I'll be looking at some BMWs. Rag me if you want, but if I can't get some kind of performance, a good lookin bike ain't doin squat for me. I mean come on, what IS a Harley anyway without the sound and the ability to make engine mods to it?

So what can the average person like me do to stop or allow modifications to these new EPA rules? All I have seen so far is a form for aftermarket manufacturers to fill out.

l agree with your assessment here.

The only new engine that Harely has come out with, which looks like is here for the long term given the new epa regs, is the V-rod motor which gets the aircooled vs watercooled debate going once more.

Since motorcycles are such an extremely low percentage of the emissions in this country, one has to wonder what exactly are they trying to solve with the regs?

My two cents says they are really trying to do something with the loud exhausts that people put on their bikes, (and you can count me in with the loud exhaust as well).

But who knows, maybe somebody from the EPA lost his wife/girlfriend to a Harley rider, so now he is out to get them all! :roflback:

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
ccrane2299 said:
You hit it on the head Timbo. It shouldn't be the aftermarket on the phone to the EPA, it should be HD. Having a stock Harley is like having...oh well I can't think of anything worse...lol
Chris
Pinto? Yet they exploded on impact.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
dwarthog said:
Since motorcycles are such an extremely low percentage of the emissions in this country, one has to wonder what exactly are they trying to solve with the regs?
Exactly... I think all they are doing is trying to justify that government check they get each week. They've already gone after everything from autos to leaf blowers.. They soley exist to print up reams of regulations that can never be enforced. Doesn't matter to them as long as they have a reason to keep getting that check.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
If the only way to legally modify your bike is to have HD do it with factory certified combinations of modifications, why the hell would they want to stop the EPA from making them the only ones who can do it?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Save some trees and all the emissions required to produce the paper that all those politicians checks and those regulations are written down on!
Gauranteed if you just cancel the program, all the bikes in the US regardless of modifcations wouldn't produce the amount of emissions it takes to concieve, enforce, and administer the program!!

I was a politician, I know how it works, it would make you all sick if you realized just how convoluted the whole thing REALLY IS! It is far more sinister than you have come close to touching on here.....

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
Made 10 Copies....

mrjim said:
The Part II article in American Iron has a questionaire that will help the
Motorcycle Rights Foundation negotiate with the EPA on our behalf.
I made 10 copies for my friends and 8 have been mailed in already.
I suggest others follow suite.
Curious.. if you can PDF the questionaire and attach so those without the magazine can print and fill-out... then send?

Thanks,

Punky

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here it is in pdf format. Please fill it out and make copies and take to you local indy and have him fill it out. This is very important to help dave and hardtail in their talks with the EPA.

spuds

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Your right crash, especially if every one has the same attitude as you do nothing will ever get done....
Mines filled out and in the mail.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well the MOCO and all the major manufactures are in bed with the EPA. Do you think that the total combined sales of the Indy manufactures, AI, BD and the likes even come close to the sales of H-D, BMW, Victory, Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. Hel! no. The form askes how much taxes they pay. They are only interested in the ecomonic impact, that's what the form is about. They do give a hoot in He!! about anything else because the big boys are playing along.
The big boys think this reg is the best thing since sliced bread. Guess who gets part of the business these other guys loose. Its a Win/Win for them. The customer can only use their service and they get more business because of less competition. How can they not like it.
The EPA knows that the money will be spent somewhere, they are just looking concerned to give an illusion of fairness.
By all means send in the form, I will. You have a right to be heard. If it makes a difference, that will be great. But don't bet on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts