V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I know goes out and gets himself a Sporty. Probably paid too much from the dealer but wanted it and got it. Next order of business since he's short is to lower it. To lower it the dealer moves the fork tubes about 1 1/2 inches higher in the trees and tells him that to adjust the rear height where he wants it he just adjusts the preload on the shocks.

I'm not so sure I'd consider this a prescribed or even safe method for lowering. Could be wrong but this is the first I've seen it.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, after I posted this I went searching and it seems this sort of thing is quite common but I would have to question doing it for an inexperienced rider like this one.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,357 Posts
IDK, but it sounds like cheap shortcutting to me.

joe

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The dealer didn’t just recommend the sporty low?
How short is this dude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer didn’t just recommend the sporty low?
How short is this dude?

The Low wasn't available and he had a limited budget so he went with what they had. He wants desperately to talk me out of my Dyna but I don't think he has the reach in his legs and arms.

After a year of the Sporty he's looking at at touring model with the low profile primary. I question if he can get one lowered enough and still corner decently.

I told him to start out on a smaller metric and get some experience before spending a bunch of cash but he was bound and determined to get a Harley and right away spent a bunch of cash. A year later he wants something else and I'm figuring out it's more about appearance. First thing he did to the Sporty was put drag pipes on it even after I told him he would regret it. Now that he's hit some events I think he's worried about not looking cool on a Sporty.

I told him if he ever wants to get rid of it I'll buy it but it won't be for what he paid for it. He looked at me like he couldn't believe I would want it. I don't know what he paid but whatever it was it was probably too much.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moving the forks in the trees is a way of lowering the scooter.

It's also used to trim the neck angle after lowering the rear.
Like I said, after the post I found it's common. That gives me a reason though to wonder if it's a good idea for an inexperienced rider since it can affect the 'neutrality' of the bike. Especially when giving the rider the choice of what to do with the rear end. They told him to leave the shocks on the lowest setting to get it as low as he could. After a while he decided he didn't like the ride so he cranked them up. I know they don't move that much but it could be just enough that someone inexperienced that doesn't understand why things are the way they are to get themselves in trouble. I can tell by his telling me what they did that he has no idea of the why of any of it. He just knows he can plant his feet.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
A guy I know goes out and gets himself a Sporty. Probably paid too much from the dealer but wanted it and got it. Next order of business since he's short is to lower it. To lower it the dealer moves the fork tubes about 1 1/2 inches higher in the trees and tells him that to adjust the rear height where he wants it he just adjusts the preload on the shocks.

I'm not so sure I'd consider this a prescribed or even safe method for lowering. Could be wrong but this is the first I've seen it.
pushing the tubes up into the trees isn't the problem....setting preload to adjust ride height is....that's a spring thing...the dealer is fulla crap...shocking I know.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pushing the tubes up into the trees isn't the problem....setting preload to adjust ride height is....that's a spring thing...the dealer is fulla crap...shocking I know.
Although I can't say for certain my guess is they charged him a bunch of money to 'lower' the thing.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I’d be sure to introduce him to the Deluxe or Fatboy Low. Pre ‘18. The “real” softails

1 - 10 of 10 Posts