V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
There are plenty of people changing out the exhaust on their 2006 models. There are even SERT units available for them.

If the EPA starts cracking down, it won't matter if you have an '06 or an '01. For years its been "the law" that you can't replace your stock exhaust system. Its just that the EPA hasn't been enforcing it. Take a look at the last 3 issues of American Iron and this month's issue of Hot Bike.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
LAF said:
AND seems we are getting a whole lot more year specific parts now and if you have an 06 or 07 you may find that what you got is what you got, part wise.
IMO, that will never happen and I don't think the MOCO will let it, or at least try not to. If an H-D becomes a bike that you can't "make your own", it will lose its appeal to buyers. Who the hell wants to ride a bone stock Harley? Plus the government has to consider what it will do to a multi-billion dollar aftermarket industry where the majority of manufacturing (read: jobs) is done in the USA. And as long as there is an aftermarket, there will always be a way around anything the MOCO does to prevent "tampering". If they discontinue the SERT, companies will make their own ECM's that can be installed and adjusted.

Just my -2$en#e-

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The 02 and up does have its advantages. Better brakes, larger axles, better fuel injection etc. But for probably less money, you can upgrade. If it were me, I'd probably switch the system to a carb or get a SERT for the MM.

I understand you wanting cruise control. My buddy got all the parts he needed to upgrade his '99 EG Classic with all of the electronic goodies that an Ultra had. He did it all through the parts department. He had to send the radio to H-D for an upgrade. He said it cost a lot more than the $300 it costs to add it now, but totally worth it.

A few months ago I was going to sell my '02 Road King Classic and buy a new SE Fatboy. But I looked at all of the negatives and decided to customize my RK instead. Now I'll have a bike that definitely won't look like a cookie cutter H-D and I can hop on it and ride to Sturgis in comfort.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.