V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Road Hawg
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trading in my 2001 Electra Glide Classic for a brand new 2006 EGC. Nothing really wrong with mine, I just want the new Delphi EFI, new radio (with CD), new tires, warranty, etc. Anyway, I have only seen this a few times in my searches, but it was enough to catch my attentionCan someone explain what the difference is between the 2006's and previous years EPA requirements? I have seen posts about it being crap, and one that said something about requiring a windsheild sticker. I understand they have a catalyst in the right muffler, but I will replace that immediately anyway. Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
There are plenty of people changing out the exhaust on their 2006 models. There are even SERT units available for them.

If the EPA starts cracking down, it won't matter if you have an '06 or an '01. For years its been "the law" that you can't replace your stock exhaust system. Its just that the EPA hasn't been enforcing it. Take a look at the last 3 issues of American Iron and this month's issue of Hot Bike.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Your cash, your dreams... Get what you like.

No clue how many miles on your bike, but, a set of geared cams, 95" jugs and slugs, headwork, pipes, a tweak to the EFI map, 2 new tires and a AM/FM/CD/MP3 Radio from Biketronics with a set of Hogtune speakers will get you more Bike compared to a stock 06...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I do not understand why people who own bikes made before 06 think they have a free pass when it comes to changing things on their bikes. This is not so.It is just as much against the law to make changes to an 05 as it is an 06. The 06 bikes only meet the standards that have been effect for California bikes for quite sometime now. Harley is late to the game as far as cats go,all the other companies have been using them for along time on many of their bikes.

·
Registered
529 Posts
fxrflh said:

No clue how many miles on your bike, but, a set of geared cams, 95" jugs and slugs, headwork, pipes, a tweak to the EFI map, 2 new tires and a AM/FM/CD/MP3 Radio from Biketronics with a set of Hogtune speakers will get you more Bike compared to a stock 06...
Very true. Throw in some wheels and a paint job.~!Awesome!

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
wvwayne said:
I do not understand why people who own bikes made before 06 think they have a free pass when it comes to changing things on their bikes. This is not so.It is just as much against the law to make changes to an 05 as it is an 06. The 06 bikes only meet the standards that have been effect for California bikes for quite sometime now. Harley is late to the game as far as cats go,all the other companies have been using them for along time on many of their bikes.
Well there are some other difference's, like smaller injectors, cats in the pipes, o2 sensors,compensator sprocket being located further out on the pinion shaft, etc. Don't know if you could get 3.37 gearing on an 06 bike right now, or at least the Dyna's. Yes I know it is not any different legality wise, but the MOCO and EPA are making it tougher to do these right off the show room floor. AND seems we are getting a whole lot more year specific parts now and if you have an 06 or 07 you may find that what you got is what you got, part wise.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
LAF said:
AND seems we are getting a whole lot more year specific parts now and if you have an 06 or 07 you may find that what you got is what you got, part wise.
IMO, that will never happen and I don't think the MOCO will let it, or at least try not to. If an H-D becomes a bike that you can't "make your own", it will lose its appeal to buyers. Who the hell wants to ride a bone stock Harley? Plus the government has to consider what it will do to a multi-billion dollar aftermarket industry where the majority of manufacturing (read: jobs) is done in the USA. And as long as there is an aftermarket, there will always be a way around anything the MOCO does to prevent "tampering". If they discontinue the SERT, companies will make their own ECM's that can be installed and adjusted.

Just my -2$en#e-

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
wvwayne said:
I do not understand why people who own bikes made before 06 think they have a free pass when it comes to changing things on their bikes. .
There have been laws since 70s, but no cats. Ask a garage to remove on your car. I think that will be the big issue.

You should be going through tires yearly on a touring bike. If you are considering getting a new bike just for tires, maybe your not putting enough miles on, and probably not worth it.

Also if you have anything on your bike think what it will cost to replace. Depending on mileage, your going to have to come up with a few grand for initial purchase and then the extras.

Myself, I am the mind that I will maintain. Theres not much to a bike. Replace what you got with better. Big bore, gears, performance clutch.

Take 5k from the new bike and put it into yours. Just my opinion. I got 2001 FLHR.

Its your money, and its always fun getting something new. I just have trouble parting with stuff. I would be looking at 2nd bike.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
fxrflh said:

I agree. In fact, I'm glad I didn't get the CD player. Now I have another input to the stereo. In addition to the plug jack in the front, I use a cassette tape adaptor to run my GPS audio. Now I can select between the radio, MP3 player, and GPS audio. I don't think you can do that with a CD player. With the new SERT for M&M, tuning is not an issue. Look on the bright side, now is the time to get the better Metzler tires.

But the bottom line is, if you want a new one, then go and do it.

·
Road Hawg
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input, it is all taken seriously and appreciated.

I am not trading in just to get new tires. I am tired of searching for accessories, and always seeing them available for 02-05 and now 06. I finallly have the money to do what I want to a bike, and can't find things like cruise control for my '01. It's frustrating.

I am also not concerned about the legality of what I do to a bike. The shop that sells and installs a Vance and Hines exhaust had better stand behind me when a warranty issue arises. What I am concerned with is that there may be something the MOCO designed differently to comply with EPA that would prevent me from doing something.

Some things I want to do:
Self-adjusting primary
exhaust (really like the look of V&H ovals)
High flow intake (SE or other)
Studded mustang seat and backrest

Maybe next year at bonus time some gear cams and 95"

Then maybe that blonde 20 yr old....oops, I digress

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is a low mileage 2002-2005 with some options, like BB and pipes.
After riding wrecks for years, when I finally started making money bought only new. I did buy my bike used 7500 miles. Happy I did. There are so many extras I never would have bought, but love.

I can't see why you can't do self adjusting primary on 2006. but don't know for sure.

But if theres stuff you can't get for your bike you want, get the bike you want.

·
Road Hawg
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LAF said:
Well there are some other difference's, like smaller injectors, cats in the pipes, o2 sensors,compensator sprocket being located further out on the pinion shaft, etc. Don't know if you could get 3.37 gearing on an 06 bike right now, or at least the Dyna's.
Pk, forgive my ignorance, but why would I want 3.37 gearing? Isn't the stock 3.15 better for mileage and keeping rpm's lower? Are smaller injectors a problem if I want to do performance upgrades down the road? Can they be replaced with bigger? Sorry if I am asking dopey questions

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The 02 and up does have its advantages. Better brakes, larger axles, better fuel injection etc. But for probably less money, you can upgrade. If it were me, I'd probably switch the system to a carb or get a SERT for the MM.

I understand you wanting cruise control. My buddy got all the parts he needed to upgrade his '99 EG Classic with all of the electronic goodies that an Ultra had. He did it all through the parts department. He had to send the radio to H-D for an upgrade. He said it cost a lot more than the $300 it costs to add it now, but totally worth it.

A few months ago I was going to sell my '02 Road King Classic and buy a new SE Fatboy. But I looked at all of the negatives and decided to customize my RK instead. Now I'll have a bike that definitely won't look like a cookie cutter H-D and I can hop on it and ride to Sturgis in comfort.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Buy It!!

Txhawg, If you have found a way to take it with you please share. Otherwise buy the scoot if it pleases you. Had a friend who always drove a new Cadillac. When being questioned on his choice of a ride, His answer was " This isn't dress rehearsal, drive what you like. :banana:

·
Road Hawg
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll just go do it, then regret it in September when something better comes out. #@SasF#

nice JD. Looks like a Poppin' Johnny to me

·
Registered
27 Posts
txhawg just go get the bike you want and enjoy your ride. I just sold off my 05 custom deuce for an 06 EG Classic and although it's a very different bike I like riding in comfort. This bike is great for longer trips. It's like driving a Caddy down the highway. I opted for the V & Hines dresser duals with oval slip ons. They sound and look great. I had the dealer do the stage 1 with remap. I got the delux luggage rack for the tour pak and I put in the tour pak and saddle bag LED light kit. I got the tour pak lid organizer and the triple pouch windshield bags. Now All I need are highway pegs, GPS and open highways to put some miles on my new ride. I bought it in Dec. 05 and it's already time for my 1st service. I live in PA and ride all winter long. It's snowed last weekend and I was riding as soon as the roads melted.
Good luck with what ever you do and enjoy the roads.

·
Road Hawg
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for their encouragement and advice.

DOOS, man, you live right there at the factory. Don't be ridin' my scoot before I get it! :nunu:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts