V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've been thinking about starting up a club or group or something in my area devoted to pet awareness. I was thinking of some names for it and think I got it. I think I'll call it Motorcycle Enthusiasts for Ethical Pet Treatment (MEEPT).

Since I have never done something like this before, I was wondering if I could get some advice/comments/suggestions/etc. on the matter. Has anyone done anything like this before? If so, what is involved? What do I need to do to get this kind of a thing started?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
My wife rescued a four-week-old kitten from a storm drain last week (I'm not kidding, she crawled through the length of it with a snarling, scruffed feral kitten in her grasp), but I can't think of a better name. I'm no PETA person, but I'm all for making sure that family pets get good treatment.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Good cause.

Questions:
Why do YOU want to do this? It's either: Because there is a need that is not being met by other groups, or because you want the good feeling of doing good work.

What other groups already exsist doing similar work? Where are they missing the point of what you want to tackle?

Who do you think will be the members, and why? How many people like this are in your "market" to draw upon? What exactly do you want the members and group to do?

There are many more questions that need to be asked, and more importantly answered, before you go much further with this. Now some will call me the mean FNG who has not been here long enough or posted enough to make firm statements; so be it. I've had many "do gooders" seek my advice in forming charities. I've always given them pro bono help, but here's what I've noticed. There are two types, the ones who see a need, and jump in doing something to adress the need, and then slowly build a group around their efforts. Often they have to back up or reverse some of their work, but they are so focused on doing the work they tend to neglect the "business" side. The other seems to be more motivated by being "The Guy" who founds and runs a worthwhile group. Their motives are not pure, but selfish, and seldom do they see themselves in this class. But, their groups never go anywhere or do any good, if they get started at all.

I don't know you, so I'm not calling you either one of the above. But, I strongly suggest you do a little soul searching. If you are in the second class, you'll save yourself and others much effort by reconsidering now. If you are in the first class, then what have you already done? If you have strong desire to help, then first seek out other groups that already exisist and donate your time and efforts towards them. Maybe you see where they are missing oppratunities(sp?) and can help them better help the pets. Anyway, nuff said.

·
Registered
621 Posts
PSK260 said:
I think I'll call it Motorcycle Enthusiasts for Ethical Pet Treatment (MEEPT).
The point of a MC or RC is to ride bikes and the brotherhood (MC)....period. If you want to create a Ethical Pet Treatment club then do that, but do not link it to a MC club...that's just ridiculous.

If you do "form" a MC club then you do need to check your local and national MC clubs in your area and make sure you have the okay. This is not something you just go ahead and throw a rocker set on your back and ride off doing your own thing..that is offensive to the other "real" MC clubs in the area.

Regards,
NC

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
PSK260 said:
Hey all. I've been thinking about starting up a club or group or something in my area devoted to pet awareness. I was thinking of some names for it and think I got it. I think I'll call it Motorcycle Enthusiasts for Ethical Pet Treatment (MEEPT).

Since I have never done something like this before, I was wondering if I could get some advice/comments/suggestions/etc. on the matter. Has anyone done anything like this before? If so, what is involved? What do I need to do to get this kind of a thing started?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Thats a good cause, I'm a past president of PETA; PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your thoughts so far. Here's my problem...I don't DO anything. I'm a lazy slob who does not contribute to society apart from going to work everyday. I have absolutely no extra cirricular activites. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and have decided that I need to DO SOMETHING. Since I really love pets and I really love bikes, it seems to me to be a logical union. We have an MC in the area devoted to stopping child abuse (BACA). I can/will consult with their current president to get additional input from them. I have already signed up to be a readiness volunteer for the SPCA and am fully willing to help if/when they contact me. The problem there is that they have not done so as of yet.

Chart, your questions and opinions are certainly valid and logical. The reason I would like to do this, as stated above, is because I want the good feeling of helping out in the community. I believe that if I follow through with this, most if not all of my friends would become members. Remember, I plan on naming it "Motorcycle enthusiasts", not "bikers". I certainly would not want to exclude those who currently don't own bikes but would like to pitch in.

I have done some initial research on the internet to see if there is any type of an organization such as this in my area. As of now, I have not seen anything. That's not to say that there isn't one around...I just haven't found it as of yet. But I KNOW that there is nothing like this idea anywhere in the area.

Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions. Again, I need to DO SOMETHING. I don't do anything and it really gets to me.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Have you given any thought to what the group would do? As an example would the group educate pet owners on proper care and if so how would that be done? Or would the group search out abused pets and focus on those owners?
Then how would the groups efforts be funded?

RT

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
PSK260 said:
Here's my problem...I don't DO anything. I'm a lazy slob who does not contribute to society apart from going to work everyday. I have absolutely no extra cirricular activites. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and have decided that I need to DO SOMETHING. Since I really love pets and I really love bikes, it seems to me to be a logical union.
Since you are, as you say, a lazy slob, that seems an awful big commitment to start out with. You do realize that once you start something like this, you can't just stop because you don't feel like doing it anymore.

Last month we had a PAWKER run (POKER run for the animals) that was put on by I believe the Shriners. Anyway the proceeds went to benefit the critters. I would recommend you try and organize something like that before you start a whole club. At least then you would get a taste of it and have a better idea if you want to pursue a full time commitment with it. Just my -2$en#e-

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
nc-renegade said:
The point of a MC or RC is to ride bikes and the brotherhood (MC)....period. If you want to create a Ethical Pet Treatment club then do that, but do not link it to a MC club...that's just ridiculous.

If you do "form" a MC club then you do need to check your local and national MC clubs in your area and make sure you have the okay. This is not something you just go ahead and throw a rocker set on your back and ride off doing your own thing..that is offensive to the other "real" MC clubs in the area.

Regards,
NC
I agree 100% with NC...especially the part where he says "THAT'S JUST RIDICULOUS". Damn PSK260...you need to get a job or a life. None of us like to see any animal abuse or maltreatment but COME ON. Are you just trying to get people to bite? You need to go lay down until this very dumb idea goes away...or maybe transforms into a better idea.....like going out and volunteering at your local Humane Society...or maybe being a foster home for abandoned or confiscated dogs. Don't try to mix MOTORCYCLE ENTHUSIASM with the very separate and legitimate enthusiasm for animal welfare.

I can't believe I fell for your bait but if you are, in fact, serious, my advice is to forget it...RIDICULOUS is definitely the correct description of your idea.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kjjdret said:
Since you are, as you say, a lazy slob, that seems an awful big commitment to start out with. You do realize that once you start something like this, you can't just stop because you don't feel like doing it anymore.

Last month we had a PAWKER run (POKER run for the animals) that was put on by I believe the Shriners. Anyway the proceeds went to benefit the critters. I would recommend you try and organize something like that before you start a whole club. At least then you would get a taste of it and have a better idea if you want to pursue a full time commitment with it. Just my -2$en#e-
I agree with what you are saying. Your idea about coordinating an event where the proceeds go to an existing organization may be the way to start out. I just feel that I need to do something to get involved. The thought of looking back on my life and regretting not doing anything scares me to death.

·
wandering but not lost
116 Posts
I want to throw in my voice on the "good idea" side. I truly understand being lazy (and in my case having an extremely short attention span) but also wanting to make a difference in this mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world. I, too, am a lover of animals - in fact, "my three sons" are all of the fur-bearing variety.

I have seen biker events that pair the love of motorcycles with everything from BBQ Ribs to Toys for Tots so, personally, I have no problem with a group of folk who have multiple common interests gathering to spend their time and energy together.

I have to agree with the advice to start slowly though so you don't burn yourself out. Volunteer at the shelter and really feel out what the need is in your community be it feral overpopulation, poorly trained pets, rabies threat, etc. The situation could actually be entirely different than what you are planning and it will be easier to adapt and adjust if you are going at a more careful pace.

Best of luck on your venture and keep us updated.
-oliver

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
One thing you could do is organize a ride with an entrance fee or donations or something of the sort and all proceeds go to an animal shelter. Could throw in a spay/neuter awareness aspect too.

The others are right about not being able to give up once you start but don't let that dicourage you if you really want to do something. This could end up being your "thing" and you could change the lives of a lot of animals.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,414 Posts
I'm thinking you should shorten the name to just EPT. That way, members could proudly claim to be in-EPT. ;)

Seriously, the advice to chip in somewhere else first makes much sense.

joe

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Nothing wrong with sponsoring a Poker Run or something like that to benefit the local Humane Society. That would be GREAT!!!!...what I'm suggesting is that you sure don't need to start a "Pet Friendly" MC or association or whatever...with bikes.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
steveusmc said:
Nothing wrong with sponsoring a Poker Run or something like that to benefit the local Humane Society. That would be GREAT!!!!...what I'm suggesting is that you sure don't need to start a "Pet Friendly" MC or association or whatever...with bikes.
Considering the number that attempt murder/suicide upon said bikes I think I might see a potential conflict :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts