V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, aside from the cost for the Stage II kit and the labor (and the associated flash for my ECM), what else will I need to complete the conversion? How much should I expect to pay for the whole shebang?

The HD kit looks to be about $850, the flash another $150. Anything else?

Actually, I was thinking of adding a PCIIIr at the same time, so the flash may be a non-issue.

How about reliability? Any issues I should look out for? Any suggestions you all can offer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Al, i did the stage 2 with the PC111r. I think I paid about 2200 or so, the stuff you mentioned, labor for install, PC111R, plus install plus custom map on the dyno. Have about 3,000miles. Just blew a head gasket (see separate thread) but suspect this is a fluke. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. I'll let you know as soon as the dealer finds out re: cause, etal.

ps. Add'l power is to die for. Really opens her up. Well worth the money, imho. I ride 2 up, fully loaded quite a bit, and she will cruise easy up the hill to Vegas, grapevine. etc., at 85+ no problem.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Are you looking for band for the buck or what? With the right cams the stage I is fine, its all a matter of how much valve trane ware against high CR. High lift cams do better with head work & some short of head work should be done regarless to get the extra HP from the same amount of add-ons. There a ton of kits, shops and guys that can help . Do your homework & you decide the best way for you to go. As always its about what YOU want.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a stage I 88ci that I want to get some more juice from. Not looking to race or go balls-out, just some more low - mid range. (Which is why I am looking at the 203's)
I am after reliability and power.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Sounds good. Just remember the rule "pull the heads, clean them up & CC the chambers".
Im talking port clean up there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My dealer quoted me 1400 out the door for the Stage II "big bore" 95'' kit with the SE 203 cams. That was Steve maldonado at Guy W's in odessa,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was quoted $1959.50 last night - but she said it included pipes (though she didn't know which ones) and the Stage I intake. I could take off $289 for the pipes and $139 for the Stage I (since I have them already).

Then I asked about a PCIIIr add. $349 for the PC and $300 more for the custom map! Yikes! When I asked if the $1959.50 also included an ECM flash, she said of course.

Here's where I think she's wrong. She stated I would need the flash EVEN if I went with the PC. I say no. The PC will handle things - including the big-bore kit. Right??

So if I am right, total is $2030.50 including the PCIIIr. If she is, add $150.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Calibration I 3283501A on the SE Tuner is for 2001 and later FLSTSI 1550 Stage II and the whole thing costs $350 and no dealer flash is required as you use the CDROM. Then you can tweek it all you want for future changes - also for free.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
FB Al, when I got my stage 2 w/ cams, i also got the PC111r. The service manager said he was going to call PC because previously they recommended a Re Flash even though there was a PC, but that he thought that had changed with the new version. As it turned out he was correct and I was NOT charged for a reflash.

I also got the custom map ($200 including dyno). Seemed reasonable considering everything, and really made a difference, jmho.

·
Registered
278 Posts
hmmm

i was quoted a price of 2,000 for head work, cylinders, pistons, remap
cams and dyno.....

from simons in Langhorne PA

having harley do it and paying there prices is uncalled for....

simons is a very reputable shop in PA ,...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was reading some of the responses, is this for FI model bikes? I have a carb in my FLSTC. Any problems with the carb model? Will it make a big differences for a carb model? I just don't want to be opening up the engine every 2,000 miles. I'm no HD tech/mechanic. Please reply!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My kid did a bubch at the HD shop.They rub strong and are reliable.A friend did his 2 1/2 years ago.No problems.Here it was like 1600.Rocky

1 - 12 of 12 Posts