V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, sorry to start another thread about this, but after doing alot of research on here about using Amsoil, I'm confused on which fluid to use in which hole. I guess first of all I should tell you I have a 08 FXSTC, all stock except for exhaust, intake, and thunder max. Right now I still run Syn3 (in all 3), but like I said, I've done alot of research on here about oils, and it sounds like more people than not are fairly pleased with Amsoil, but I'm not really dissatisfied with the Syn3 either ( not ever had problems, in 15,000 mi.), but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna switch.
So, my main question is should I use Amsoil's 20w50 motorcycle oil in all 3 like the Syn3, or just use the 20w50 in the engine, and use the severe gear 75w-90, 110, or 140 in the trans, and as far as the primary goes that's where I'm most confused because of seeing so many people saying to use so many different oils, but as far as Amsoil for the primary, I've seen alot say the 20w-50, or the super shift trans fluid ?
So for those of you that have already switched, would you help steer me in the right direction, so I know what oil would be best to put in what hole. And as far as my riding style goes, I live in southern Indiana, and ride in temperatures ranging anywhere from 40 to 100, and I don't run my bike real hard, but get on it, now and then.
If some of you guys or gals, don't mind telling what would be best, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If AMSOIL is what you want go for it.
20/50 in the engine
Nothing wrong with 20/50 in the primary other than it is over kill
The gear box go for the gear lube engine oil just is not the best option.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
First of all, sorry to start another thread about this, but after doing alot of research on here about using Amsoil, I'm confused on which fluid to use in which hole. I guess first of all I should tell you I have a 08 FXSTC, all stock except for exhaust, intake, and thunder max. Right now I still run Syn3 (in all 3), but like I said, I've done alot of research on here about oils, and it sounds like more people than not are fairly pleased with Amsoil, but I'm not really dissatisfied with the Syn3 either ( not ever had problems, in 15,000 mi.), but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna switch.
So, my main question is should I use Amsoil's 20w50 motorcycle oil in all 3 like the Syn3, or just use the 20w50 in the engine, and use the severe gear 75w-90, 110, or 140 in the trans, and as far as the primary goes that's where I'm most confused because of seeing so many people saying to use so many different oils, but as far as Amsoil for the primary, I've seen alot say the 20w-50, or the super shift trans fluid ?
So for those of you that have already switched, would you help steer me in the right direction, so I know what oil would be best to put in what hole. And as far as my riding style goes, I live in southern Indiana, and ride in temperatures ranging anywhere from 40 to 100, and I don't run my bike real hard, but get on it, now and then.
If some of you guys or gals, don't mind telling what would be best, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Give me a call off line as if we discuss it here you will surely get flamed since there is already tons of post on this subject from users.
george
407-856-1564

·
Registered
196 Posts
I run Amsoil in all three holes. 20W-50 in the motor. 75-110 in the trans and super shift in the primary.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I have tried them all , Mobil 1, amsoil, syn 3 , but I always had a tic in my valve train . Tried Redline 20-60 motors a lot quieter , seems smoother. I run it all year round , it's a 20-60 weight. If it was a straight 60 weight I would change in the winter . But with a multi viscosity why change?
I run Redline Mtl in primary, Redline shock proof heavy in tranny.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have tried them all , Mobil 1, amsoil, syn 3 , but I always had a tic in my valve train . Tried Redline 20-60 motors a lot quieter , seems smoother. I run it all year round , it's a 20-60 weight. If it was a straight 60 weight I would change in the winter . But with a multi viscosity why change?
I run Redline Mtl in primary, Redline shock proof heavy in tranny.
Agreed. Amsoil is a fantastic product too. Use 75w-90 in the tranny though. The motor oil makes the 6 speed notchy and hard to find neutral. I also use rotella 15w40 in the primary. Keeps the clutch plates clean

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I run Amsoil in all three holes. 20W-50 in the motor. 75-110 in the trans and super shift in the primary.
I run the same. I have set alot of guys bikes up the same way...............no unhappy campers.

P. S. Com' on George, we are due for a little fun.........:clap:

·
Registered
18 Posts
people have suggested that i use amzoil in my 08 streetglide, but it's more difficult to find than syn 3. anywhere there is a harley shop, syn 3 is available. i do not want to become an amzoil dealer and that's about the only way to get a decent price on it. that's just my 2 cents. i use syn 3 only because royal purple max cycle that i used to get at o'reilleys auto parts went up 3 more bucks a quart.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
IMHO a lot of the discussions on oil are nuts. Use a premium oil. Change it often. Ride and be happy. Amsoil is a premium oil.

That said - HD screwed the pooch trying to make things idiot proof by pushing one lubricant for engine/primary and trans. Two different applications and requirements. Then again, might not matter all that much given most HD owners change oil at excessively short intervals.

If you want an education on oil, take George up on his generous offer.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I run mostly NW Indiana 30-100 degrees. Generally hard miles, lots of stop & go. Amsoil is a great product, I run 20w-50 engine, 10w-40 Primary, 75w-90 Trans. No problems in '07 FXDL w/SE I, Rush slip ons, & Power Commander. I have alot of lubrication experience due to employment. Amsoil has an independent test report on their web site that shows and explains the main tests and their meanings if you are interested. They stack up as one of the top 2 or 3 in testing. Another important factor is that they will mix with dino oil in an emergency, something the competition will not do with out serious side effects, this benefit alone means a lot if you put on miles.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Any name brand oil in the right weight will work in your bike.

·
Registered
196 Posts
people have suggested that i use amzoil in my 08 streetglide, but it's more difficult to find than syn 3. anywhere there is a harley shop, syn 3 is available. i do not want to become an amzoil dealer and that's about the only way to get a decent price on it. that's just my 2 cents. i use syn 3 only because royal purple max cycle that i used to get at o'reilleys auto parts went up 3 more bucks a quart.
Difficult to find??? Walk out on the front porch and its right there. I find it every time the door bell rings. Become a preferred customer.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Depends what you want to do with your money and how you accept the marketing. AMSOIL and such sells for around $16.00/qt here. All three holes with the same 20W50 is around $85.00. I just changed oil in my Dyna, 3 qts of Rotella 10W40 (for winter ops), Lucas gear lube and Type F ATF for exactly $29.95. Filter was a WIX, specifically for HD Twin Cam, $8.30. vs $17.00 or more for HD, K&N, AMSOIL etc. Savings of over $60.00, which is another 18 gallons of gas (@ about $3.30/gallon), inbetween 680 & 720 (38 - 40 mpg) more miles to ride, and the oils I put in meet or exceed HD recomendations.

Use what you want, what you are comfortable with, but know that the most $ spent is not always the best $ spent.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Depends what you want to do with your money and how you accept the marketing. AMSOIL and such sells for around $16.00/qt here. All three holes with the same 20W50 is around $85.00. I just changed oil in my Dyna, 3 qts of Rotella 10W40 (for winter ops), Lucas gear lube and Type F ATF for exactly $29.95. Filter was a WIX, specifically for HD Twin Cam, $8.30. vs $17.00 or more for HD, K&N, AMSOIL etc. Savings of over $60.00, which is another 18 gallons of gas (@ about $3.30/gallon), inbetween 680 & 720 (38 - 40 mpg) more miles to ride, and the oils I put in meet or exceed HD recomendations.

Use what you want, what you are comfortable with, but know that the most $ spent is not always the best $ spent.
Full price for Amsoil 20w-50 is $ 11.90 a quart. No reason to pay any more than that. Price goes down from there. You should nail down your figures before posting them.
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oil

·
Registered
134 Posts
I personally use synthetic and like the tech behind it. However I use 5w-50 for spring/fall and I like using a straight 50 or 60 in the summer. I use rotella in the primary,keeps everything like clutch plates clean and it's a diesel oil therefore very durable and inexpensive. I use red-line shock proof in the tranny. I will never use anything but shockproof now. I used amsoil and like the product however using engine oil in the tranny makes no sense to me. Manufacturers make a specific fluid for it so why use a product meant for something else,but that's just my opinion.
To the op,use whatever you feel comfortable with. Sure some oils are engineered with better additive packages but in all honestly if you follow a consistent oil change schedule any oil will do. Find one and get a used oil analysis done. The lab will tell you how long you can run that specific oil and it will help with you peace of mind. It will also tell you other things like wear metals and fuel dilution. 25 bucks well spent.
These oil threads usually go sideways fast and guys only evidence of how good the oil is is a statement like "well I haven't had any problems". What they don't tell you is that they trade up every 3 years,so the next guy ends up with the problems. Like leaking gaskets and bearing failure. Those failures can be directly attributed to leaving old oil in the crankcase over an extended period of time. A used oil analysis will give you a definite timeframe that the oil lasts for.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I personally use the following.
Amsoil 20W-50 in the motor, year around in Phoenix.
Amsoil Super Shift ATF in the primary.
Amsoil 75w-110 in the trans.
I am with Clevy on this. I really think that a lite gear lube is the proper lube for the trans. Maybe Harley is trying to make it simple, throw the same stuff in all three holes because it will work. The Military uses Break Free CLP to clean, lube, and protect weapons. It works. It is not the best product for all three things though. Anyway. Use a quality syn and consider what you are using it for and you will be alright. Thats my 2 pennys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Full price for Amsoil 20w-50 is $ 11.90 a quart. No reason to pay any more than that. Price goes down from there. You should nail down your figures before posting them.
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oil
:confused: You should learn to read and comprehend before posting:
"sells for around $16.00/qt here."

plus, the Rotella sells for $3.67 every day at Tractor Supply. Arguably as good as what you are shilling there at almost 1/3 the price....

·
Registered
196 Posts
:confused: You should learn to read and comprehend before posting:
"sells for around $16.00/qt here."

plus, the Rotella sells for $3.67 every day at Tractor Supply. Arguably as good as what you are shilling there at almost 1/3 the price....
Oh, I see. It costs more in OK than the rest of the USA????
Click on the link I provided above. That is what it costs. If you are seeing it for $16.00 a qt, my advise is to shop around.
:beatdh:

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Oh, I see. It costs more in OK than the rest of the USA????
Click on the link I provided above. That is what it costs. If you are seeing it for $16.00 a qt, my advise is to shop around.
:beatdh:
The miss information is really overwhelming. I use Amsoil and I deal with George Douglas. I do not pay $16.00 a quart and I do not have to shop around for the product when I need it. I recently needed some oil for both the bike and my automobiles. I called George and he answered on my first call as he usually does, and ordered some oil and filters. I received my order on my front door step about 30 hours later. That is exceptional service in my opinion and I appreciate it.
I hear other Forum members complain that they cannot find Amsoil and it is too expensive, honestly from my experience it is just bad information. If you don't want to use Amsoil, fine, but please don't give the rest of the Forum members bad info about availability and cost: it just isn't so. Thanks again George for the great service. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts