V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Heritage with carb. Bone stock except for a SE Air Cleaner and a set of Santee exhaust. I am considering going to a 95" big bore kit without changing cams.
I am not a hot rodder. I am happy with the way my bike runs but would like a bit more zip. Is this the way to go?

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
If you want a "bit more zip", change your cams to something like the Andrews TW21G or 26G gear cam setup ($550.00+/-) with ported heads ($300.00) without changing cylinders and pistons. Then, if you decide you want more, then you can upgrade to the 95" pistons with the same cams.
PS...Don't forget to tune.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The 95 without some headwork and cams will not reap the full benefit of the build.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I went to 95" with 203 cam (almost like stock cams) and noticed a stronger low end but not much better mid and up. The TC Heads just don't flow enough air for 88" no less 95". Basically like nidan says...a 95" without the necessary porting / cam / compression upgrade wont deliver much improvement.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
YankeeBob said:
If you want a "bit more zip", change your cams to something like the Andrews TW21G or 26G gear cam setup ($550.00+/-) with ported heads ($300.00) without changing cylinders and pistons. Then, if you decide you want more, then you can upgrade to the 95" pistons with the same cams.
PS...Don't forget to tune.
Been thinking about new cams and ported heads for my Heritage. It's currently stock except for SE air cleaner and Vance&Hines exhaust. How much extra zip could i expect?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I did 12,000 miles stock then went to a 95 inch using flattop screaming eagle pistons for the next 12,000 miles and noticed a big difference in TQ and get up an go. I think it is well worth the money to go to 95 icn alone if you can not afford to do the full monty.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I just had a set of SE-203 cams put in to my 2005 Dyna. I already had the SE High Flow Air Cleaner (actually the entire Stage I), a set of HD slash down slip-ons, and a PC III USB. The dyno numbers are now 75.5 HP and 85 ft-lbs of torque.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My bike is a 2002 FXDL with SE air cleaner, V&H BSS and SE 6200rpm ignition/coil. I am going to install gear drive cams (any suggestions?) and am considering going to 95". I have been reading quite a lot about this stuff. I can't afford to have headwork done at the same time. Should I hold off on the 95" build and do cams & heads or cams & 95"? I ride mostly solo, but occasionally 2 up & trips vary from backroads to interstates to around town.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you are going to keep the compression below 9.5:1 the TW26G is a good choice. If you get headwork down the road the porter can match it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts