V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one in crimson red fireglow the other day. Sat on it.
Felt right. Looks be soul stirrin. New 4.5 gal tank makes
sense. I like the mid controls too. I like the taller seat
height and overall, the looks excite me like no other ride.
Any pros and cons about the new roadster?

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
To each his own, I guess. All the things that you mention you like about the bike are things I don't like. I don't like red. I like the peanut tank that defined the Sportster look for so many years, and I don't like the more bulbous 4.5-gallon tank (the Roadster still featured the peanut tank in 2007 and went to the larger tank for 2008). I have forward controls and love 'em over mid-mounts. And I like a low seat height (I have stubby legs, but they're long enough to reach the forward controls with ease). But hey, none of those amount to "cons" against the bike. Those are just my personal preferences. If you love the bike and its features, it's a winner for you. Buy it!

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
MadCity said:
To each his own, I guess. All the things that you mention you like about the bike are things I don't like. I don't like red. I like the peanut tank that defined the Sportster look for so many years, and I don't like the more bulbous 4.5-gallon tank (the Roadster still featured the peanut tank in 2007 and went to the larger tank for 2008). I have forward controls and love 'em over mid-mounts. And I like a low seat height (I have stubby legs, but they're long enough to reach the forward controls with ease). But hey, none of those amount to "cons" against the bike. Those are just my personal preferences. If you love the bike and its features, it's a winner for you. Buy it!
I'm with Mad on the peanut tank. Fortunately, the 883s still have the peanut. It's also cheaper to buy an 883 and convert to a 1200 than to buy the 1200 - if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
my 06 1200R....peanut tank
and carb....glad I bought it
when I did.....that and my
04 Heritage will be with me
for a long, long time......

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you like the color and how it fits.... go with it. 4.5 gallons also means less stops !

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
What are the visual differences between an 883 and a 1200 to look for going down the road. The engines seem identical to my tired old eyes.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by Hamilton
What are the visual differences between an 883 and a 1200 to look for going down the road. The engines seem identical to my tired old eyes.
There are no visual differences (except for the "883" vs. "1200" sometimes plastered on the air cleaner). The engines are identical in appearance. They're identical in size, too. The 1200 just has a bigger bore, so the 883 has a little less displacement.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Got it, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is the 1200R

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
miles to go said:
I'm with Mad on the peanut tank. Fortunately, the 883s still have the peanut. It's also cheaper to buy an 883 and convert to a 1200 than to buy the 1200 - if you do the work yourself.
You sure about that? Just asking. Doesn't the 1200 use different heads and cams? And the 883 vs. 1200 Customs you get the chrome package for the engine.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
thatoldbike said:
You sure about that? Just asking. Doesn't the 1200 use different heads and cams? And the 883 vs. 1200 Customs you get the chrome package for the engine.
I don't believe there is any diff between heads and cams. Gearing my be a little different though. I do know that you can get an upgrade from 883 to 1200 at the dealership for less $1000. Do the work yourself and cost is even less. Personally, if i was buying a new Sporty i would get an 883 and buy one of these hot aftermarket 1250 performance packages. You can get one for about $2k. Add another $1k for pipes, air cleaner and tuning and you're pushing close to 100hp, which will leave any stock 1200 in the dust.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
banjobart said:
I have my eyes on a 2008 Roadster in red, too. Just saving and scrimping now.
Save yourself the hit of taking it off the showroom floor and buy a decent used Sportster. Harleys holding their value is over, especially for Sportsters.

BTW, you should take a look @ mine under the Classified section.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Riding with others that have the small tank is a bummer. having to stop all the time. The extra fuel is nice. But what am I saying I own a bike that only holds 2.5 gallons. But that is NOT the the scooter for long trips. IT does ride better than my old duece with the air ride seat though.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Thanks I built if for Michele but she has since told me she would rather I get a new street glide ans she will ride on the back. It is a E-TICKET RIDE

It handles great is extremely fast due to having near 100hp and being so light. I have yet to put the bike on a true scale but we have done it with two bathroom scales. Weight is 450 Aprox.

P.S. it is for sale.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am awaiting delivery of this XR, took this picture at Faaker See, Austria, EBW last september.
I wonder if this XR is available in the USA, (down here they call it the European H-D!?)

Attachments

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Good Choice

I saw one in crimson red fireglow the other day. Sat on it.
Felt right. Looks be soul stirrin. New 4.5 gal tank makes
sense. I like the mid controls too. I like the taller seat
height and overall, the looks excite me like no other ride.
Any pros and cons about the new roadster?
Partial to Black in color myself, although Red would be a 2nd choice Sometimes wish I had the 4.5 gallon tank when making longer runs.. I went from an 883 and did the Big Bore and Stage 1 on it. But if was going to buy it out the door think your choice is good...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts