V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home today and after all the troubles I have had of late it was just nice to ride. Somehow or another I bumped the on/off switch at an intersection. No problems right...went to restart it and it started knocking LOUD! I immediatley turned it off! After pushing it home 3 blocks up hill I try and start it again thinking maybe the starter hung up or something crazy even though it has worked flawwlessly...Starter engages and kicks back hard even with compression releases on. I try to push it a little in 5th and same thing squeels the tires as if it is locked up. What gives...This thing was running fine up until it died! So I guess it is time to run it to the big dog shop 120 miles away and see what kind of damage it will cost to rebuild a 107. What a great day! What do you guys think it could be and how much could it cost. Man this has just been a bad day!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,735 Posts
Remind me not to piss you off. Pushing a BigDog uphill and also pushing the bike on pavement with the rear wheel locked up. I sure hope it's not a serious teardown....but if it is..that guy better do a good job or I think someone is in for a serious ass-whooping. I had to push my '95 Wideglide about 200 yards one time and was dogshiite tired when I finished. Just funnin a little Rich...welcome to the Forum. BTW...I have an aunt who lives there in Columbia...on Leo Street.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola, FL
USMC 1972 - 2003
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
245 Posts
Dunno but here's a thought..

If you bumped the switch at just the wrong moment, you might have fired a plug while a piston was coming up on the compression stroke, and that would make a terrible noise, but not very long. Seen that happen on old magneto limeys and the rod comes out very short and kinda z shaped. Or the crank breaks. Even with electronics, it can happen, if the electronics don't get a chance to go completly quiescent before they're turned on again. Things aren't in a uniform state throughout, and random happenings are likely.

Had something like that happen on my TransAm, a '67 with the Corvette 350. Came in one night, had been running fine, good oil, no problems. Came out next morning, turned the key and it threw a rod before it even lit off. Never knew why, it just cost me 6 grand to have a new engine dropped in.

Good Luck
Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone else mentioned that i might be the mechanical advance stuck in the dist. causing it to constanly misfire. I am not too vtwin savoy but if this were a small block... Anyway he sugested a sudden change in would have a similiar effect so I guess it is time to pop the cover. I am for some reason or another intimidated by the vtwin. I just need to tear into one!
 

·
DHARMA Initiative
Joined
·
5,678 Posts
rich9521 said:
Someone else mentioned that i might be the mechanical advance stuck in the dist.
If you have a mechanical advance or a distributor on a 107 Big Dog, please take a picture and post it. I'm pretty sure you have an electronic ignition with a cam sensor plate inside the nose cone. -2$en#e-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am really new to v-twins and the guy who tried to explain it to me,counter weighttried to reference it to a v8 for me to understand. I am sure I will figue out vtwins as they only LOOK intimidating. I tore the primary cover yesterday and it apears as though the jackshaft was stuck engaged to the ring gear causing the knock. I can remove the jackshaft but once I hit the starter it stays stuck out again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
rich9521 said:
I am really new to v-twins and the guy who tried to explain it to me,counter weighttried to reference it to a v8 for me to understand. I am sure I will figue out vtwins as they only LOOK intimidating. I tore the primary cover yesterday and it apears as though the jackshaft was stuck engaged to the ring gear causing the knock. I can remove the jackshaft but once I hit the starter it stays stuck out again.
Maybe I missed something along the way, but does the engine even turn over? If not, how about when you remove the spark plugs? I know you mentioned the compression release, but that's a very small air bleed for the cylinders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does now after I freedup the starter bind. I am currious if the jackshaft being stuck out would cause all hat rucus. I have not tried to start it again as I want to be sure I don't have other problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Just a suggestion but before you haul it 120 miles, might give Trustee's Cycle a shout. They are in Moberly, about 30 miles north of you. They are good guys and may be able to give you some things to check.
I'm not affiliated, don't own, [insert other disclaimers].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
rich9521 said:
It does now after I freedup the starter bind. I am currious if the jackshaft being stuck out would cause all hat rucus. I have not tried to start it again as I want to be sure I don't have other problems.
If the engine is completely free of noise and clunks with the starter pinion back (away from the ring gear), then my guess is that the starter clutch has failed. Maybe a broken sprag. The stock starter motor and (starter)clutch take a real beating on a big-inch engine.
 

·
>>> The Curmudgeon <<<
Joined
·
352 Posts
AndrewM01 said:
...
Had something like that happen on my TransAm, a '67 with the Corvette 350. ...
If you had a 67 T/A that would be remarkable, to say the least, as they came out in 69. To have any 60's-70's years T/A with a "350 Corvette" motor would be even more remarkable, as all of the early ones came with real Pontiac engines. I know we're all absolutely truthful in here, and concerned only with passing along valid information, so that must have been a series of typos, huh?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
barrybasinger said:
If you had a 67 T/A that would be remarkable, to say the least, as they came out in 69. To have any 60's-70's years T/A with a "350 Corvette" motor would be even more remarkable, as all of the early ones came with real Pontiac engines. I know we're all absolutely truthful in here, and concerned only with passing along valid information, so that must have been a series of typos, huh?
He must mean a Firebird with some Trans Am dress-up items on it. I've seen people do that. The engine was probably taken from a Vette and swapped into the Firebird. At least it's not one of those "so-called" Trans Ams made of 90% plastic in the 1980s.

As for the Big Dog, remove the clutch and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. Also inspect everything in the primary area. An ignition problem won't cause the engine to not turn over by hand. I'd also pull the cam cover and take a look in there. Something might have come apart and got jammed into the cam/pinion/breather gears, which would lock it up. Check all the easy stuff before digging into the engine cases.

If you can work on a Firebird, then you can work on a V-twin. Harleys (and clones) are some of the most simple engines on the road... not much harder to fix than a lawn mower. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
steveusmc said:
Remind me not to piss you off. Pushing a BigDog uphill and also pushing the bike on pavement with the rear wheel locked up. I sure hope it's not a serious teardown....but if it is..that guy better do a good job or I think someone is in for a serious ass-whooping. I had to push my '95 Wideglide about 200 yards one time and was dogshiite tired when I finished. Just funnin a little Rich...welcome to the Forum. BTW...I have an aunt who lives there in Columbia...on Leo Street.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola, FL
USMC 1972 - 2003
$hit, Steve, a 31 yr Marine? I geuss you were a SGTMAJ for sure? I was in from 78-85 USMC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
barrybasinger said:
If you had a 67 T/A that would be remarkable, to say the least, as they came out in 69. To have any 60's-70's years T/A with a "350 Corvette" motor would be even more remarkable, as all of the early ones came with real Pontiac engines. I know we're all absolutely truthful in here, and concerned only with passing along valid information, so that must have been a series of typos, huh?
My thoughts exactly. I have only seen one 69 TA in my life time and spent a great deal of my life dealing with GM F-body's.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top