V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else tired of hearing this?
My 6 year old Samsung Fridge just died.. All I have heard is " 6 to 12 years of service" out of a refrigerator anymore.... Sounds like the compressor or electric motor died and I no longer repair todays modern "made in Chinka man" garbage if I have to call a service man.
I did take it apart, cleaned the coils ( where did all that dirt and fuzz come from) let it thaw out ( the interior vents were frozen) and it ran perfect for about 5 days, but it was not meant to be... First Samsung product I would have to say I am unhappy with.....
Just ordered a new Whirlpool ( I am sure it is the same garbage) Gotta have a fridge...

·
Super Moderator
19,945 Posts
Back in the 80's I bought what was at the time, a fancy refrigerator. An Amana with a bunch of bells and whistles. And it was always broken. Those extra features were all just little electronic module spliced int the wiring harness, and being 80's electronics, it failed a lot. The one that failed the most was the auto defrost heater control. It was supposed to heat the drain tube before it defrosted the freezer once a month. But it didn't and the frige would leak all over the floor.

First time it happened out of warranty, I went behind the fridge and took it off so I could lay it on the counter and get a new one. I noticed that the harness plugs would plug into each other. And when they were connected together, the frige would run. So I left them plugged up and when to get a new unit. Turned out that little control unit cost about $150 and was special order.
I just left the harnesses connected to each other and it became a manual defrost frige. We lost all of the bells and whistles, but so what. Next frige I bought was a respectable name, but bare bones model.

When I bought this house, it had been vacant and in foreclosure for about 4 years. When we viewed it the first time, I'm checking every thing out and I notice this fancy big assed french door frige. So I opened the door to look in. It was packed full of 4 year old moldy food. It was one of those images that burns itself into your retina.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Man, washer and dryers have sucked since 1992,

Appliance warranties are a joke anymore, stores and manufacturers need a better game plan.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found where all of the "hair" and "fuzz" came from on the coil...LOL

When I bought this house, it had been vacant and in foreclosure for about 4 years. When we viewed it the first time, I'm checking every thing out and I notice this fancy big assed french door frige. So I opened the door to look in. It was packed full of 4 year old moldy food. It was one of those images that burns itself into your retina.
I bought my current house in foreclosure also, so I know exactly how old the fridge is... I learned that just because a refrigerator motor "ran" didn't mean the fridge worked..LOL

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have worked in the appliance retail business for 30+ years. The asian stuff is attractive, no service network. Ge is owned by Haier, Frigidaire is total crap, owned by Electrolux in Sweden. Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Jennair, and Amana are all made in the US with the exception of top freezers and side by sides all made in Mexico. Microwaves all come from Asia. GE has a service network left over from the real GE days and Whirlpool has one also. All my stuff is Kitchenaid, if it breaks at least I can get it fixed.
The government is the biggest problem in appliance mfg. just like the automotive industry. We are living in a world of disposable crap.
In southern Indiana if you have the talent to fix a washing machine or a refrigerator you can get a job at Toyota and make $80,000 a year, try to find an appliance technician.
Rant over, I could go on all day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
Almost everything in a refgr is controlled by a single electronic panel. If the compressor wont run it may be as simple as a bad processor. When a circuit board becomes unavailable the refgr is junk. Progress my ass,

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
You get what you pay for. Less money hopefully less headaches. More money, more bells and whistles which means more possible problems. Just as scary as the vehicles now a days. Everyone one wants all the options but that's just more electrical items to fail. Can't be as hands on as it used to be to repair stuff.
I still like simple..

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost everything in a refgr is controlled by a single electronic panel. If the compressor wont run it may be as simple as a bad processor. When a circuit board becomes unavailable the refgr is junk. Progress my ass,

Circuit board? Yeah, I was an owner of one of the first Maytag Neptune washers..... From what I read these bankrupted Maytag.... I believe having the Neptune is why I don't repair ( unless its simple) large appliances anymore.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
I'll work on my washer and dryer. But I'm not inclined to mess too much with a fridge.
The only thing I've ever done to a fridge is replace the ice maker.

My wife and I found out when you build a new house and install new appliances, they all break about the same time. In our case around 18 yrs.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
Maytag's slide was accelerated by their archaic business case and the purchase of Amana, all they got out of it was a french door refgr plant in Amana, IA. They picked up the Amana laundy plant that couldn't produce a decent washing machine. That washer tooling was sold and today it is being sold under the name Speed Queen. The Neptune platform was discontinued and then Maytag Neptunes were sourced from Samsung, another disaster. When Whirlpool took control they replaced a huge number of the Samsung pieces at no charge. Now all the Maytag Laundry is produced in Ohio by Whirlpool.
In my experience the Maytag company was the most overpriced, least profitable, most difficult, and demanding company I ever did business with. All that being said the Maytag Bleu cheese is excellent. They used to send it out at christmas.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have proof positive that mfg consider new appliances throw aways. June of 19 I bought a new GE fridge from Home Depot. Middle of July 19 it took a dump. Home Depot went through the motions to find a warranty tech to come look it and possibly fix it in house. They found only one that did warranty work for GE in this area. But as things usually work out he would only come as far as where Home Depot was located and not the 21 miles more to my town. Hummm. Home Depot went to work on GE then to find a solution to get this ironed out and was told they wanted to talk to me. So I did that, got the typical run around (twice) and finally made contact with a gal that realized I wasn't going away and figured dealing with me was the best thing to do. I filled her in on what was going on and what happened when it went bump ( lost food and all). Then I was told golly it seems we don't have a warranty tech in your area so we will just give get a new one to you asap. She did give me $150.00 bucks for the lost food. Picture me whispering this " I got this payment twice from two different places" Their loss I recon. So finally I did get a replacement brought to my home and left in the garage. Yep garage. The delivery is the only thing I could bitch about but that's for a different rant thread I suppose. But hey, the new one after I got it in the kitchen has run without a hitch so far. As an after thought, I'll never buy another GE product again just because of the warranty issue. They sell a product that you can't get serviced so therefore it's disposable.

·
Super Moderator
19,945 Posts
The only thing I've ever done to a fridge is replace the ice maker.

My wife and I found out when you build a new house and install new appliances, they all break about the same time. In our case around 18 yrs.

The ice maker went bad on the frige in our MD house. And the daughter was bitching, so I looked it up online to see what the common issues were. And it was water filter, or replace the whole unit. So I went down and took a look. It had a broken auger from the solid block of ice that was jammed in the feed, and a burnt out motor and controller. Those three parts were over $400. The complete unit was like $395 and a lot less effort to replace. But IMHO, spending $400 on a 8-10 year old frige is the same as spending $400 on some big boobed babe at a road house. It might seem like a good idea at the moment, but you'll be face palming soon after.

So I bought her 1/2 a dozen ice trays. For $2 and change at Ollies.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
But IMHO, spending $400 on a 8-10 year old frige is the same as spending $400 on some big boobed babe at a road house. It might seem like a good idea at the moment, but you'll be face palming soon after.
But only if you get caught.:)

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I gave up trying to vacuum the coils can't get it all anyway. A leaf blower works wonders just have to sweep up all the dust bunnies when finished.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Needed a microwave in my first house. Happen to make the mistake at my dad's house of mentioning that.. Everything was Consumer Reports with him. He grabs the booklet and said lets go. So I say ok and we go to the local appliance store. This was in 1989. I get it and I still have it. It works perfect. Get Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Needed a microwave in my first house. Happen to make the mistake at my dad's house of mentioning that.. Everything was Consumer Reports with him. He grabs the booklet and said lets go. So I say ok and we go to the local appliance store. This was in 1989. I get it and I still have it. It works perfect. Get Consumer Reports.
I used to be a consumer reports guy, but when they did a couple of reports on products I knew alot about, I disagreed with them.. I no longer take their advice.... Just my opinion..

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have worked in the appliance retail business for 30+ years. The asian stuff is attractive, no service network. Ge is owned by Haier, Frigidaire is total crap, owned by Electrolux in Sweden. Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Jennair, and Amana are all made in the US with the exception of top freezers and side by sides all made in Mexico. Microwaves all come from Asia. GE has a service network left over from the real GE days and Whirlpool has one also. All my stuff is Kitchenaid, if it breaks at least I can get it fixed.
The government is the biggest problem in appliance mfg. just like the automotive industry. We are living in a world of disposable crap.
In southern Indiana if you have the talent to fix a washing machine or a refrigerator you can get a job at Toyota and make $80,000 a year, try to find an appliance technician.
Rant over, I could go on all day.

Do you have any thoughts on LG appliances? I was told years ago the logo stood for " Low Grade".... ???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts