V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to the Chopper world, having had Harleys all my life...just got my 2005 Big Dog Chopper in August and LOVE IT!:yes:
BUT...
There HAS to be a better way to check the oil level than sitting the bike up straight with the seat off and having a "look-see" to guess whether the oil's at the bottom on the oil tank neck or not! :duh?:

Mine is the Chopper DT (Daytec) model that only holds 2.75 quarts of oil, according to the Owner's Manual, so being off by 1/4 - 1/2 quart could be a big deal on the wear, tear and life of a 117" air-cooled engine I'd think.

Big Dog doesn't offer an oil cap with a dipstick attached (like Harley does)?
I consider this an amazing lack of engineering and manufacturer's judgement on a $30K Chopper. :confused:

Am I crazy, or does anyone else out there agree with me??:unsure:
Thanks for all responses and suggestions.:chopper:

·
Banned
20 Posts
Actually if you're off by 1/4 or 1/2 a quart you still have plenty of oil. 2 quarts in the bag plus what's in the motor which equals about 1 quart. The Daytec tank doesn't really afford the use of a dipstick since their internal lines would be in the way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, problem solved....:coffee:
Big Dog's website (accessory section) just came out with a "real" dipstick for their oil tanks. It's part number 102-000016-00. However, they don't say anything about different tank & frame styles. Can a "one size fits all" oil dipstick be effective on ALL the Big Dog oil tank & frame styles?? #@SasF#

1 - 7 of 7 Posts