V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have an 05 883XL, (first bike so please...no jokes)
I am wanting to install the saddlebag supports on it, and the instructions tell me that I need to lift the rear of the bike just until it is just about off the ground. I assume that this is to take the load off of the rear springs that need to be taken off to mount the supports, but I have a hard time believeing that this is the only way to do this.
My thoughts were that one could chain or otherwise clamp the springs together (like you would do on a car) to keep them from unloading while you remove the top mounting bolt. But, as I said, this is my first bike, and maybe there's a reason that you can't do it this way. My dealer wasn't much help, he said that it had to off of the ground. WHY???
Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!
jmlovetto

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yep...you need to get the rear wheel off the ground to install them. Get a jack (buy or borrow)...you'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
260 Posts
If the shock mounting is similar to my FXR you should be able to do one side at a time without a jack. I did, and I was installing Sportster shocks and changing over from the factory clamshells to leather saddlebags.

Right side is easiest because of jiffy stand lean angle. By removing the bottom shock bolt the shock should be able to pivot rearward and out of the mounting bracket. The shock can then slide off the upper frame mounted stud. Finish your work and reinstall. Repeat on other side. Ass sag caused by worn shocks could make this more difficult, as the opposite shock is what's holding things up while working on each side.

If your settep is different then disregard and pretend I was never here.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate all of the comments. I do have a jack, but it is a standard floor jack, and as mentioned before, I don't (ok, haven't) worked on motorcycles before. I don't know if or how this can be done with a floor jack, I guess I am worried about
A) dumping the bike more than anything. I've got a transmission jack too, that would almost be perfect except it is too high to put under the bike.
B) Not sure where to put the jack. Under the engine, in the center of the frame looks like the best spot (actually the only spot) but that brings me back to worry A.
I guess I am wondering WHY you need to jack it up more than anything. (Silly me always over anyalizes EVERYTHING) I just like to know how $hit works, and why. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
A motorcycle jack is what you're looking for. It lifts the entire bike off the ground and makes it easier to almost any kind of work. if you remove both shock bolts without lifting the bike, it will drop. Not a pleasant thing. Like Ka-Ka said, if you do one side at a time you might be able to get away with it, but having a bike jack is the best way.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can do it like Ka-Ka said, one side at a time. I put saddlebag supports on a Sportster that way. I also just replaced the shocks on my Dyna that way. You can easily lift the bike enough to first get the shock off and then again to get it back on, just push up on the fender strut and you'll get the 1/4" or so that you need. I'd be very careful trying to use a floor jack, you'll break something or dump it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I will try the one shock at a time method, as it seems to me that it will work that way. Here's a case of reading the instructions = confusion. Had I not read the instructions, this is how I would have done it to begin with. We'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again all!! :bowdwn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted to let you all know that attaching the saddlebag supports by only taking one shock off at a time worked!!!
I got to use the floor jack a little too, needed it and a 2x4 to help raise each side just enough to get the bolts to line back up.
I read in another thread where someone was worried about how throw over's would look on a Sportster...well... they don't look bad at all!!! I will try to post a picture as soon as I can take one for you to look at.
The leather in between the bags is all concelaed beneath the stock solo seat that came with the bike. I know a concern was how it would look with a solo seat, and while this is the stock solo seat, it worked out fine. Had this been a custom solo seat however, you probably would see the leather.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, I couldn't (well, wouldn't) have done it without you! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts