V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of good buds and myself rode down from Austin Tx to Leakey Tx to ride the sisters this past weekend. Man what I time we had.

If you are from or plan to visit Texas you have to ride The Three Sisters in Leakey. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever ridden. Twisty hilly and last but no least like I said beautiful. Talk about some Southern hospitality too. Everywhere we went we ran into the nicest people you could ever meet.

Good times indeed.

:woohoo:

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
Rode those 3 twisted chicks in 2008 for our week-long annual spring ride. Had a blast and wore out a set of tires.

Haven't been back for some reason. I don't know why because it is a fun place to ride and there's lots to see.

Read a thread post here recently that didn't find it as enjoyable as I remember. Like Harleys, they're not for everyone.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Rode the sisters a year ago. Can't wait to go back. Cool little towns near there too, like Luckenbach, Fredericksburg and Bandera.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Rode the sisters a year ago. Can't wait to go back. Cool little towns near there too, like Luckenbach, Fredericksburg and Bandera.
Indeed. Make sure you check out all of these places when you go, especially Luckenbach. The Fredericksburg Brewery is a great place to eat/drink. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Was down in Austin TX for work for a couple of weeks, rode those roads.
Actually I missed the turn on 83 and did the one sister (337) twice as long and missed the last sister altogether. No problem I'll get her next time.:duh?:

By the way Rt 191 in AZ between Three Way and Alpine is a must ride. Better than the Dragon in my opinion. You have to like non-stop switchbacks at high elevation with no shoulders or guardrails.

No tree or wall of shame either, if you go off they would never find you. :eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have been there-done that 3 times. Every time in late March "Spring Break" (I was a teacher.) Cold weather in morning but nice during day on first trip. Rained continually for 3 days, all day every day, second trip. Still great trip. The back roads and Ranch roads were great. Rode 3 hours and saw only 1 car and 1 truck on the ranch road.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This is one of the things I like about checking out this forum. I get great ideas on where to visit. My buddy has been telling me the past year we have to trailer down south some winter and get away from our #%@*! snow.
The 3 sisters sounds pretty good.
What's it like in January and February?

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
...The 3 sisters sounds pretty good.
What's it like in January and February?
Hard to say since we're talking about Texas weather, changes are sudden and unannounced. Usually it would be a little cold and a lot windy. Tolerable by my standards as I've ridden this loop with temps in the low 40s and a 30-something windchill. Hey, I was already down there, might as well ride.

After the summer we've just survived, it will probably be under 3 feet of snow. Not joking about the snow either, it could happen. We had a record heatwave in Summer of 1980 that has now been surpassed by the 2011 temps. The Winter of 1980 was just as brutal with record lows and icestorms across the state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts