V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 96 evo and I am going to install a EV27. I have read all over the internet on the installation and different people's personal veiws on cam installs. I am not new to building or working on my own bike, I have been doing it for about 30 years, however I can not seem to find any good info on changing the stock gear for the andrews supplied gear, such as the actual procedure for pressing one off and the other on and keeping the alignment within the correct timing tolerances, Does anyone have any experiece with this?

·
>>> The Curmudgeon <<<
352 Posts
rlpos said:
Ok, I have a 96 evo and I am going to install a EV27. I have read all over the internet on the installation and different people's personal veiws on cam installs. I am not new to building or working on my own bike, I have been doing it for about 30 years, however I can not seem to find any good info on changing the stock gear for the andrews supplied gear, such as the actual procedure for pressing one off and the other on and keeping the alignment within the correct timing tolerances, Does anyone have any experiece with this?
A fixture to retain the alignment is a good idea. JIMS, Crane, J&P...one of those sells the fixture and the instructions.

·
Registered
487 Posts
use d the correct pins and measure the gear first to see if its ness to change befor pressing the thing apart i see way to many do the work for nothing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My intentions are to measure the gears and I already have measured the Andrews gear. It appears that it is the largest one Andrews makes which raises my concern because I think Harley use a middle of the road on there gear sets. I Know about the tools you can buy and if I was going to be doing it regularly I would buy one, however I hope this to be a one time thing. I notice on the new gear there are 2 scribe lines on the back of the gear 180 degrees (21 teeth) from the timing mark for the pinion that are alighned with a slot in the cam shaft. Is there anyone who has used this method or any other method besides buying the $130 tool. Buy the way this is a brand new cam so I assume the scribe markes were done by Andrews

·
Registered
213 Posts
I dunno man, but if I was as confused as this thread has become, I think I'd just take all it to the premier engine builder in my area and say, "Dude, make this thing work right."

·
Registered
487 Posts
ok lets see if i can explain first was the motor ticky or was there a slite whine hot? now measure original gear with .108 pins measure new gear with same pins subtract get difference if there is one check manuel on correct color code from measurement now does the differenc change the "claimed size change code according to chart?" which way if motor was ticky one size larger than what was original would be good just remember what canges on cam gear up or down can be corrected by changing the pinion gear in retropect {bigger cam gear=smaller pinion---thus smaller cam+bigger pinion} the scribed lins on the cam gear are from andrews tooling when they press the cam gear on in the correct timing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, No, and No.
I was not confused, I know the differences as to the final outcome. My original question really has to do with the procedure for changing the cam gear out from one cam to the other with out taking it to someone else, (you know, IF You Want It Done Right Do It Yourself) or spending a small fortune for the tool. Hence the scribe line method

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
rlpos,
I would not attempt without the tool. Even 1 degree off is hard to see just using the scribe lines. Go to an indy shop that has the tool. If you can press the old gears off, they can press them on for maybe 15 bucks. Mine did it for free since I do business with them.
Call around and find a shop that can do it. Should not cost that much.
It takes maybe 5 minutes of their time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
cam install-ev

Supposedly Andrews installs a "red" color coded gear on all of their cams. In theory you could leave the gear that comes on the cam installed, then install a "red" pinion gear and have a matched set. I know this does not take into count differences in the covers and mixing and matching color codes is often seen, but has worked well. If you have access to different pinion gears (or the dealer will let you try/return until correct) you may get a good fit by changing the pinion only and not have to worry about pressing the cam gear and the possible timing problems that go with it. P.S. check pinion shaft runout also, if it's more than a couple of thou. you may have to compromise on the gear fit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Therin lies a problem, I live kinda out in the boonies and it is at least an hour drive one way to any shop and with the price of gas, going to a shop is expensive even if you just ride over there

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am perfectly capable of pressing the gear on. I mean afterall 4 degrees is pretty much a standard on some timing adjustments on a cam and 1 degree one way or the other will probably either raise or lower you powerband by about 300 rpm's.

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
Lawdy I change cams so many times in my machine it would make your head spin!!

Just measure the free length of the cam, compare it to the new cam and shim accordingly.
I have rarely ever needed to do more.
As for removing the cam gear to make a matched set, you will need a fixture as mentioned above AND you will carefully need to degree the cam in to make sure you did things right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
rlpos said:
Rlpos, one easy way to press that cam gear & maintain the gear to cam alignment is to make a set-up like shown.. All you need is a few drill bits & a lathe.. Or you can spin the large drill bit (or a metal rod) in your electric drill & hold it to a bench grinder until it will just fit between the outer drill bit gauge pins.
JD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep I saw that on Cranes site and I am in the process of building the stepped pin as we speak.
Thanks for everyone's input

1 - 16 of 16 Posts