V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best: a closed loop EFI with A/F ratio sniffer or standard ?
I'm thinking of leaving the PCIII to go to a closed lood upgrade. they say you do not need to need to tune since the C L EFI add on will do all the mods while driving...
Is this true and what would be the best buy ?

Patrick :huh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like my DTT TCFI 2. I like to turn knobs and tinker too.....and that system allows for the user to play all day long in that category. I've learned a lot of info on fuel injection tuning by tinkering with it.

The O2 sensor needs to be a wide band setup too. You don't have to do the front cylinder trimming if you are running a dual independent runner throttle body/ intake setup.

I hear that S&S is coming out with a dual O2 sensor setup. That is a cool idea because then you dont have a front cylinder with a plug in it from where the front cylinder tuning was done (if you are running siamesed runners).

- Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
dragforce said:
than the closed loop maps in my opinion.

I have a closed loop fi system for my bike. I have taken it off my bike.

I let my bike sit for about six months. Started it up and the oxygen sensor had lost its calibration. So I had to recalibrate. I realized that the closed loop system requires more maintance than the racetuner system. However, it will adapt to just about any combo you can come up with but you need to do the front cylinder triming if you only have 1 oxygen sensor.

Ultimately, I am glad I have the option of going to a closed loop system but I like the racetuner better.

The oxygen sensor has a lot of noise in it.
SAY WHAT??????????:huh: :duh?: :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
confedcycles said:
I like my DTT TCFI 2. I like to turn knobs and tinker too.....and that system allows for the user to play all day long in that category. I've learned a lot of info on fuel injection tuning by tinkering with it.

The O2 sensor needs to be a wide band setup too. You don't have to do the front cylinder trimming if you are running a dual independent runner throttle body/ intake setup.

I hear that S&S is coming out with a dual O2 sensor setup. That is a cool idea because then you dont have a front cylinder with a plug in it from where the front cylinder tuning was done (if you are running siamesed runners).

- Jeff
the dtt is a good unit, and i am glad you for one understand something about efi tuning.

·
Banned
69 Posts
I didnt say it was a dtt tcfi unit

but now that you mention it.. it is.

The zeroing of the throttle position sensor is a very sensitive operation. It has to be pretty close to dead on. From my experience it will drift and require recalibration.

The tcfi is a good unit. I still have mine and will use it again if I have to. But the oxygen sensor readings do have a lot of noise in them. Front cylinder trim is important even for mild cams.

However, when I started my bike up a couple of weeks ago to take it to get inspected I found out half way there that I had a serious tuning problem. When I left my bike 3 or 4 months earlier it was tunned up pretty good. I dont know what happened during that 3 months is was sitting idle but it was seriously out of tune. That was a dissappointment and I went back to the racetuner maps.

BTW, I have two electrical caddys(fxdwgi). I can switch from a tcfi system to the delphi system in less than 30 minutes!

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
dragforce said:
but now that you mention it.. it is.

The zeroing of the throttle position sensor is a very sensitive operation. It has to be pretty close to dead on. From my experience it will drift and require recalibration.

The tcfi is a good unit. I still have mine and will use it again if I have to. But the oxygen sensor readings do have a lot of noise in them. Front cylinder trim is important even for mild cams.

However, when I started my bike up a couple of weeks ago to take it to get inspected I found out half way there that I had a serious tuning problem. When I left my bike 3 or 4 months earlier it was tunned up pretty good. I dont know what happened during that 3 months is was sitting idle but it was seriously out of tune. That was a dissappointment and I went back to the racetuner maps.

BTW, I have two electrical caddys(fxdwgi). I can switch from a tcfi system to the delphi system in less than 30 minutes!

SAY WHAT??????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I do not know of any "noise" issue with the TCFI. If you are talking about some type of interference I have never seen it in my logs.

A bike is not going to detune sitting unless it was degradation of the gas sitting that long.

The ECU is written to from the TCFI so how would you loose that tune?

The o2 sensor does need a free air calibration, but I have never HAD to do it other then the first time. I do the calibration when moving from front to rear just for gp's, but it is not required.

If you used ANY type of lead additive you have RUINED your o2 sensor.

I love mine and have had my moments with it, but I think it is the best and most up to date EFI management system you can buy.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
LAF said:
I do not know of any "noise" issue with the TCFI. If you are talking about some type of interference I have never seen it in my logs.

A bike is not going to detune sitting unless it was degradation of the gas sitting that long.

The ECU is written to from the TCFI so how would you loose that tune?

The o2 sensor does need a free air calibration, but I have never HAD to do it other then the first time. I do the calibration when moving from front to rear just for gp's, but it is not required.

If you used ANY type of lead additive you have RUINED your o2 sensor.

I love mine and have had my moments with it, but I think it is the best and most up to date EFI management system you can buy.
ahhhh, someone else who understands. thank you!

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I too have a DTTC II with the wego. I have taken it off and am using the SERT along with the TwinScan+ with the wego to tune the VE of each cylinder. Once done with the VE set up in the SERT it is easy as pie. This set-up is much easier than the DTTC II and my bike is runner much better too:brows: IMO the DTTC II w/wego just takes too damn long and there are too many variable that can throw things off.

·
Banned
69 Posts
bedemonster

What procedure are you using with the twinscan+ and wego to adjust the ve of each cell?

Can I use the wego that came with the tcfi with the twinscan+?

Thanks.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Yes you use the same wego. The TwinScan+ logs the data and then converts the data into percentage correction values for the VE tables in the SERT. You take that data and make the changes indicted by the TwinScan+. Once all the corrections to the VE have been made the SERT then knows all the data it needs to auto-correct the ECM to match the programmed AFR from the SERT.

Very slick and very easy to use...the bike runs flawless.

Read about it here: http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan.html

I think this is their best product offering.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im with you LAF,

I haven't seen any "detuning" issues with my bike. I have recalibrated the O2 sensor before but that was "just for the hell of it". It didnt need it. I did the recalibration just to do it. Plus, I think the manual says to do it every now and then.

I havent seen where the TPS drifts either. In reality the TPS is nothing in the world but a potentiometer (an adjustable resistor). So how is this potentiometer gonna change its resistance values by sitting? The only thing that I could see happening here is that the butterfly isnt returning to where the TPS was originally tuned when the throttle is twisted and let go....also known as throttle binding.

Just my 2 cents worth

- Jeff

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well in all honesty the TPS is a PITA, but if you slot it and USE the Bushings it does stay put. As to it "moving" around you need to be at running temp when you set the TPS as cold and hot there is a lot of expanding going on. You need to make sure it is as close to 4.0 at 190 degrees as you can get it,and that means idle and fans to reach that temp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, Yeah I agree with you there too LAF. That TPS does need to be clamped down and then checked every now and then. Ive got the bushings out and the holes reamed out a little. Temperature can definitely make you chase your tail.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I have a question about closed loop EFI. Why is there only one one 02 sensor? Would a closed system benefit from a 02 sensor in each pipe? If a system had a sensor in each head pipe, wouldn't it be able to calculate the needs of each individual cylinder much more accurately?

Just curious and thinking out loud again....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts