V-Twin Forum banner

The PRICE of fluids and filters

11K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  kballowe 
#1 ·
My oil "stash" is all used up, and I went out to get more.

Woof.

Has anyone looked at the price of oil and filters and such lately ?

.... and the guy at the counter basically told me I'd be stupid not to use Harley's heavy gear oil .vs Formula+

#6 ·
.... and the guy at the counter basically told me I'd be stupid not to use Harley's heavy gear oil .vs Formula+
My 14 RK has been using formula + in primary and trans since it was new and has 45k on the odo.
No problems so far and I like how the clutch feels using the formula +.

The engine runs synthetic so I get lucas motorcycle oil or mobile 1 vtwin, which ever is on sale.

Napa auto sells k&n oil filters. (maybe a little cheaper than dealer?)

#7 ·
I try not to pay the dealer prices for something I can get elsewhere that's just as good. K&N Filters and Redline from Amazon as mentioned and Mobil One when it's on sale at the Auto Parts store. If you buy enough from Autozone you eventually earn $20 and that helps a lot. Ace Hardware has O Rings that are the same size too.

#8 ·
Here are bulk O-Rings.
And on a side note I was told by a dealer owner the twin cam engine oil drain plug ring is the same size as the bottom fuel line quick connect o ring

#9 ·
It's $29 for that Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic, in a five quart jug.
Does anyone use that oil ?

For years, I used Rotella conventional 15W-40 in the primary, and a generic 80W-90 gear oil in the transmission. I'm probably going to get struck by lightning or something.

#13 ·
Well I searched for were Lucas is made and If he produces anything overseas it's kept secret. He states all of his product are made in the USA. I might add that Lucas is a private company, not some publicly traded corporation.
Forest Lucas has an interesting rags to riches backstory also. He sponsors all kinds of motorsports.

#14 ·
About the only thing I buy from the stealer is spark plugs.
Wont use HD oils, not tested and everything is better.
I use HP4 racing Syn. It cost 10 bucks a quart.
Belray trans oil, 14 bucks, Belray Primary oil, 16 bucks.
Never forget the K&N filters, but then I bought a case of them.

#15 ·
My Moto Guzzi specs AGIP Rotra MP 75W-90 for the transmission and rear shaft drive. It's impossible to find, but Mobil Delvac 1 Synthetic 75W-90 is a virtual match in all the spec sheets, and they both have the MT-1 (manual transmission) rating with a seal conditioner.

There's a gallon sitting here on the shelf. It appears to work well in that Moto Guzzi, and I'm temped to try it in the Harley transmission.

#17 ·
I have been using Mobil 1, 15 w 50 for quite a while with no apparent problems. I am near 120k and started using it at around 50 or 60k. I am going to switch to ZMax V-Twin 20w50 at my next change to support one of our Sons of Speed Sponsors. Wix, NAPA, or Toyota filters.

#21 ·
My oil "stash" is all used up, and I went out to get more.

Woof.

Has anyone looked at the price of oil and filters and such lately ?

I ordered a 3 hole kit with filter from Amazon.
It was very inexpensive compared to the parts shops.

#24 ·
I have been using Mobil 1 20W-50 since 2001 and Wix filters for the last seven years. Over 340K miles with no problems. We travel allot and I can get the oil and filter at any O'Reilly's, $11.50 per qt and $12 for the filter. The oil is a little cheaper at Wal Mart but they will not let you change oil in their parking lot.
I always ask before I pay if I can change the oil in their parking lot and only once did the counter guy hesitate. $5 gets you a drain bucket, rags and hand cleaner, I keep the unused rags and hand cleaner and return the bucket with the used oil.
I have not had to change oil on the road since last September so the prices may have changed.

#25 ·
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL AND WATCH THOSE K&N FILTERS LIKE A HAWK ! THEY ARE WELL KNOWN TO LEAK OIL !!!

I used to run these too , until I was warned . I used to Trackday’s on sport bikes and most tracks and organizations will Not allow this filter on their tracks as they have seen multiple instances with these filters failing and oiling the track and causing accidents !

HiFlo is supposed to be better but if it has that cheesy nut on top it’s garbage !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.