V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Michigan! Rode - Quit - Raised a family - now I am back into it. Had a Triumph in late teens (great ride), went to school, flew for the Navy for 8 years (#69 in Nixon lottery back in 1970), did the Corporate climbing for a number of years then realized how much I missed the free spirit.
My wife and I bought a real bike in '97 (Wide Glide) after two years on a Yamaha (no complaints). After several mini-trips we just completed our first two week tour (2500 miles) on the East Coast . The bike performed great but many times we wished we had more storage room and a little more comfort.
We have just started a search for an Ultra but the prices for an '03 are laughable. Is this normal (we bought the Wide Glide from a third party, not a HD dealer).?
Great forum, great advice and best of all I sense a lot of great friendship!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum Capt. Lots of good people here. Your story is familiar to lots of us. Number 17 in the lottery. Ultras are kind of pricey to say the least. Ran across two 03 Ultras today-$22,400. Also saw a '98 model (95th anniv) with 3000 miles for $18000.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Welcome captain, Do you have to have new? The used dresser market here on the east coast is a little soft. You could even try Monty's HD in Bridgewater Mass. they sometimes have a couple of good trades around. I have had three ultra's and loved them, I now ride a road glide. Have you considered one?

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Captain Dorsey said:
Greetings from Michigan! Rode - Quit - Raised a family - now I am back into it. Had a Triumph in late teens (great ride), went to school, flew for the Navy for 8 years (#69 in Nixon lottery back in 1970
Greetings, Captain. I got a #324 in the grand lottery so that pretty much left me out of the draft........that and having my leg in eight pieces due to a crash while flatracking. I just got a new Sportester for chugging around town. I'm glad to be back with H-D again....sounds like you are, too.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,Captain Dorsey!

Glad you joined us,it's the members that make this forum what it is.

Some dealers still have a conscience,check out: hawgeye.com

Good luck with your search & enjoy the forum.
guido

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome aboard, CPT. Hope you enjoy the forum and good luck in your search for a 'Dresser'. Waiting on my first Harley.(Won't be long) Best Reguards, J.T.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome Capt,

Got to hand it to anyone landing on those flat tops, even though they are big they do rock and roll.

I can see your point, on the wide glide, they are great bikes and I guess not bad if you traveling by yourself but two up on a long trip, the baggers are the way to go. Have you considered a Road King? I really like those, you get a little bit of storage room, more than most WG offers and it is still sporty and a little less pricey. Regardless, like most Harley's, you can for the most part, get out of it what you pay for it; so it kind of balances out. You may want to check out the Dealers section and try to find a Dealer that sells at MSRP.

Hope that helps and again welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts