V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF? Reading this months AIM, there is an article in the'How it works' section covering parts that void the warranty. This cat, Angelo Donoso, national service manager for Fred Deeley Imports LTD. of Canada, stated that:"If any Stage I or II Performance Kit is installed on a carbureted H-D model, it's over. The warranty has been rendered void." Also stated in the article, "all facets of the Harley warranty are applicable on both sides of the border. " Which means: this applys to both the States and Canada.
Again, WTF? This means that everyone who puts on pipes, AC, and rejets a carbed bike has voided the warranty! My bike comes with an extended four year coverage and I surly don't want to ride with the restricted breathing, choked up carbureted, and 'sewing machine sounding' stock pipes!:mad: :( :mad: :(
J.T.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
It is all up to the local dealer in many cases. They don't have to tell HD anything. And if something goes wrong they have to prove the "part" caused the failure. Talk to your local dealer before you get upset. Pipes and A/C have nothing to do with brakes, starter, transmision etc. Be pretty hard to prove your pipes caused a cam bearing failure. If you asked ten different dealerships you might get ten different answers.

·
Registered
494 Posts
According to my dealer, if I ride the bike after I take delivery, it voids the warranty. This dealer is that fu(king anal. I'm hearing more of this almost-that-bad $hit more and more often. Wonder is MOCO is providing dealer incentives to snake out of warranty work?

·
Registered
494 Posts
According to my dealer, if I ride the bike after I take delivery, it voids the warranty. This dealer is that fu(king anal. I'm hearing more of this almost-that-bad $hit more and more often. Wonder is MOCO is providing dealer incentives to snake out of warranty work?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My 02 king broke a head bolt (then blew a head gasket) about 3,000 miles after a full stage 2 kit (also full headers, and PC111R). Fixed in 24 hours with NO questions asked and no suggestion that warranty would not cover! Articles are cheap.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Bought my 2002 FLHT last February. Wanted SE stage 1 kit. Was told the same...diddle with intake and the warranty dies!........So I left the bike OEM.

Last October I talked to the dealer agin. Seems like the MOCO has had a change of heart. All's good now. That's for SE air intake, exhaust and ignition. Cams are a different story!

The problem ain't gonna be YOUR dealer (if and when something goes wrong), but the dealer you'll end up asking for help if anything happens on the road 1000 miles away from home.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Thealien called it right. That article in AIM is a repeat from 2-3-4 years ago and is kinda full of BS. Any reputable dealer will tell you the same thing. HD was taken to court in Arkansas a couple of years ago by a guy who had a cam bearing failure (this was before the rear cam bearing problem became known). One of HD's points was that the guy had installed Andrews cams and thus voided the warranty. The Judge ruled BS because HD could not prove the aftermarket cams caused the problem and ruled in favor of the guy. HD paid the bill and I'm pretty sure, no appeal was ever filed. The repair work was even done at an indy shop.

I'd be willing to bet if you called the dealer's (and also HD's territorial service rep) bluff about some of these statements, they would back off. Dealers in this part of the country make pipes, air cleaners, BB kits, etc. changes all the time, sometimes before delivery of the new bike, and stand behind warranty work all the time.

Any of that kind of BS in AIM or any magazine should be taken for what it's worth. It's a magazine and as such there is no guarantee that anything printed in true. Now I'll agree, most is, but they do screw up.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Harley probably doesn't mind discouraging as many people as they can though either. Less power=less chance of failure. 60 horsepower brakes less things than say an 80 horsepower one, although a defective part is a defective part no matter how much power is involved.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I checked with my dealer, and he said as long as they install it, and it's Harley approved, it's warranty work (he did say there were some extreme exceptions to the rule). His point was that Harley would be pretty hard pressed to make a part available, sell it, profit from it, and then tell a court they were just kidding. They said they have had only rare problems, and also that everybody at the dealership that has a bike has the extended warranty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I picked my new bike up, the sales guy said any HD stage 1, rejet or pipe would void the warranty. His explaination was that these are catagorized as "racing mods" as listed in the catalog. Thus this would void the warrenty even if they did the work. Later I ran this by their service dept. and they looked at me like I had to heads.....They said it WOULD be covered. So I geuss you need to get it in writing (yea right) as to what their policy is.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I don't know about carbs, but with EFI the stage 1 kit is under the extended warrenty IF it's stealer installed. If you add the cams exchange, then there may be a problem. I have been thinking about the basic stage 1 kit to go from 1450 to 1550, I'm just trying to rationalize the cost with the small increase in torque. I don't think the cams will add too much more increase.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Fearnot, fearnot. The article is crapola.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool. So all I need to do is get the carb. rejetted, get that S&S air cleaner and Bub Rinehart exhaust sent and get it all together......now, where's my credit card? It's around here some where. J.T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts