1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my 2002 FLHRCI upgraded with the parts as follows:
SE-203 cams,
SE Hi-comp forged pistons and
the remainder of the SE EFI stage 2 big bore kit.

I now am running around 9.5:1 comp and have the following questions:

The dealer highly recommends the SE performance cylinder heads as they breathe much better and raise the compression to 10.5:1.

1) Would I gain more from an aftermarket set of heads that are ported and polished?

2) Would the best bet be to get the heads they recommend and have them 'tweaked' (where is a good place???)?

3) OR - could someone work the stock heads to get the higher compression and performance (from what I understand, I would have to also upgrade the valve components as the SE heads are all inclusive).

4) Off topic - Anyone have any data on ignition system comparisons, like SE versus Dyna versus Crane...?

I have about 1.5 K since the upgrade and am running Amsoil 20W50 synth to help with friction and heat, here in Florida.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
1) Would I gain more from an aftermarket set of heads that are ported and polished?
Yes

2) Would the best bet be to get the heads they recommend and have them 'tweaked' (where is a good place???)?
Unnecessarily expensive, but the SE heads can be improved. You don't want to run 10.5 CR with a 203 cam

3) OR - could someone work the stock heads to get the higher compression and performance (from what I understand, I would have to also upgrade the valve components as the SE heads are all inclusive).
Yes, there are at least half a dozen guys that make superior heads. The differences are in philosophy, the guys with a drag racing background tend to go for top numbers, the guys with a road racing background go for better driveability and quality of power delivery. I strongly suggest you go this way unless you intend to drag race exclusively.

4) Off topic - Anyone have any data on ignition system comparisons, like SE versus Dyna versus Crane...?
By far the best ignition system for a carb TC is the TwinTec system as sold by HeadQuarters, on an EFI bike the ignition is built into the ECM, the new EFI tuner from HD may well turn out to be the way to go.

If you want more head info you need to contact us off line.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hippo,

The dealer said they only install 203 cams on the FI bikes. Something about it being the only one recommended by HD and keeping it in warranty. He has several bikes running this configuration with the 203's and the hi-comp SE setup. I was hoping for something with a little better numbers, and may have to wait till the warranty is out to change them. So far, they have added a fair amount of low end torque and seem to make idiot evasion a little quicker.

I don't think there are too many shops around Pensacola, I think I will have to look at Daytona, Dothan and further out. Any ideas on some good shops? I do not race and am looking for hiway speeds, quick evasion of idiots and passing ability.

Any idea (ballpark) what a good set of reworked heads will run?

I'll have to lok at the catalog and see how much it costs for the top end SE parts if I go with stock.

Ron

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't think there are too many shops around Pensacola, I think I will have to look at Daytona, Dothan and further out. Any ideas on some good shops? I do not race and am looking for hiway speeds, quick evasion of idiots and passing ability.

Any idea (ballpark) what a good set of reworked heads will run?

They are on the pricey side, but Carl's Speed shop in Daytona has a good reputation, and Carl's son is pretty good with a dyno.

600 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts