V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad dreamed of 2.5 kids and a garage. He#% I already got more than that... you know what I want...

I want...
tall apes, an open primary, loud pipes, an endless supply of $$$, grown kids who'll buy me stuff, taller apes, all stainless cables, 2 carbs, a fat tire, a hard ride, taller apes, a sunburn, leathers that never dryout, a clean bike, taller apes, more chrome, a billet comb, thick hair on my head, thin hair on my back, 32 teeth, taller apes, and did I mention that I want a set of nice tall apes.

What do you want... are you talkin' to me....

Ape :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
AH, I don't see many bikes with ape hanger bars around my hometown but there are a couple. Everytime I see these guys I think that has to be uncomfortable after a while. Don't your arms get tired from maintaining that position? They do look cool though. I also wonder about control when tight cornering. How is that?

Just call me curious:)

Beau

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Apes rule !!!!!

Very comfortable and not hard to control at all....Love 'Em:D

TONY

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As with anything they take a little getting used to, The bike feels different nut not uncomfortable or unsafe.

You do feel cooler though.:cool:

Ape

·
Registered
21 Posts
apes look cool, but tall apes are not cooler

I agree that apes look cool compared to factory buckhorn bars on a factory bike but I see too many wanna be choppers with 32 degree rakes and apes with an angle that don't follow the angle of the forks. Add a plexi windshield nad some soft bags and it looks like the dealership made some good GP points on that sale. It also looks like you are not sure if you want a cruiser / pro-street /chopper.

There is no reason for tall apes, except if after you have a 8" front leg stretch with maybe 10" to 14" over forks the bike is still too small for you. The biggest reason to have the chopper look is to raise the top tube and fit a 120 or 131 engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't disagree with you more Sir Benjamin.. I like the look and the feel..

The other thing I like is that people either love 'em or hate 'em. As for me I have a 34 deg rake and the bars are not straight with the forks. I love it... look and feel. I ride daily and can ride long or short distance comfortably.

I see many bikes and don't personally care much for drag bars.. oh well.. I'm glad we're in America.

Still Hangin' 'round,
Ape

·
Registered
21 Posts
More than one way to make a chopper

Aloha Mr. Apehanger,

I forgot about the old school retro look having only started with the EVO as my first bike in 1990. You are so right about everyone having their own idea of what looks right. For me having worked in an industrial design shop, unfinished welds and non-contiguous angles are things to avoid.

About the feel of tall apes, the easy way is to add a set of tall ape bars to your present riser. The way that I would do it (and have your hands in exactly the same position) is to stretch the front legs and top tube with a matching fork stretch. The disadvantage is that the tank is mounted higher possible obstructing vision and resulting in a higher center of gravity. The plusses include extra space for a stroker engine and a cleaner looking front end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts